Print Wikipost

Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 03:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
..."Combining the benefits of premium street brake pads with aggressive friction formulas suitable for light cars on easy track days and autocross events"...
Corrected for truth...
Old 04-06-13, 06:10 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the bite I don't care about dust as Long as I know the car can do what I need it to do if I really need to push it!
Old 04-07-13, 02:15 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Corrected for truth...
Exactly. I had it on my SI when I wasn't competitive but running decent times at a local track and never had issues.
Old 04-08-13, 02:37 AM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

Which of the carbotech pads should be used. I want to give them a try, due the fact that everyone prefers them (on track) over EBC, Ferodo, etc. when looking at cars with a similar weight (Turbo, GT-R, M3).

The 1521 state - Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
The AX6 state - Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™
The XP8 state - Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad

It is also quite a bit misleading. I daily-drive my car and would like some nice bads that can take some backroads and the Nordschleife as well as sudden breaking from 120mph+ highway speeds (no speedlimits here)
Old 04-08-13, 06:51 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

I've been looking at similar pads as you and after talking with Figs, the XP-8 can be streetable if you keep them bedded in otherwise they squel. This seems like the case with all track orientated pads though and it is hard to say which is the the most "streetable" track pad.
Old 04-08-13, 07:06 AM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking at similar pads as you and after talking with Figs, the XP-8 can be streetable if you keep them bedded in otherwise they squel. This seems like the case with all track orientated pads though and it is hard to say which is the the most "streetable" track pad.
Exactly my issue. The EBC Bluestuff are horrible, at least on a car with our weight. I got rid of them right away. I dont want to redo that bedding procedure

If he recommends the XP-8 Im inclined to use those as well. Ive read of many people mixing the carbotech pads front and rear? Any info from our IS-F drivers?
Old 04-08-13, 07:36 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Undutched
Exactly my issue. The EBC Bluestuff are horrible, at least on a car with our weight. I got rid of them right away. I dont want to redo that bedding procedure

If he recommends the XP-8 Im inclined to use those as well. Ive read of many people mixing the carbotech pads front and rear? Any info from our IS-F drivers?

Yea, Figs sells the XP8 and recommends that as an aggressive street/track or "drive to the track" setup. I'd trust his recommendation. Thanks for the comment on the Blue Stuff, I was considering them. Endless pads look interesting. I know a rally team that loves them, but thats all the experience I have with that brand.
Old 04-08-13, 10:40 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Yea, Figs sells the XP8 and recommends that as an aggressive street/track or "drive to the track" setup. I'd trust his recommendation. Thanks for the comment on the Blue Stuff, I was considering them. Endless pads look interesting. I know a rally team that loves them, but thats all the experience I have with that brand.
You can even run XP12 if you can handle the long braking distance in the cold. XP8 is pretty far down in the tracking/braking department (which is why most cars use them for the rears). You'll still run into dusting problems and since our stock pads are so aggressive, its pretty wise to use them over Carbotechs since Carbotechs are not that cheap.
Old 04-08-13, 02:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

XP12 don't have a long first brake at all. They are noisy and they tend to eat rotors at lower temperatures. With very light pedal pressure, these pads will bounce you off the shoulder harnesses.

Just because you don't have speed limits on the Autobahn doesn't mean a full race pad is your best choice, nor does it mean you will be happy with the same pad that works well on Nordschleife while on the Autobahn.

I run XP12 front and XP10 rear at a track known for being the hardest in the Southeast US on brakes. There are four braking zones per lap, each lap is under 2 minutes, and the braking zones are all from at least 160 km/hr. Road Atlanta and VIR would not require this same temperature resistance, nor would any of the other tracks I've seen here.

If your usage is disparate but frequent enough to consider track pads for daily driving it might make sense to run Carbotech. You might also consider Pagid. While not inexpensive, they are quite good and they make fitments for the IS-F's calipers. They just don't call out the fitment on their website. Look for MB SLK55 AMG 2004 & later pads. They fit our calipers perfectly, we just don't need the sensor mount.
Old 04-08-13, 04:47 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

So what is the recommendation for a streetable track pad? I check the price on Pagid, and wow $500 is a bit much.
Old 04-08-13, 06:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Check this page for just about everything you can buy for the IS-F I don't know I would buy from them, but the site has all the options. I'm running OEM Jurid right now because I have more than one set of them and I don't care about the dust.
Old 04-08-13, 06:24 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Thanks Lobux. Dusting and rotor wear isn't a concern, I just can't have tons of brake squeal. Looks like I might be going back to OEM. Is there any you would consider if you switched from OEM?
Old 04-08-13, 06:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It would be throwing a dart. I ran Hawk HPS on my Supra and they're fine for street driving, but I've heard other people say they're awful, so it's possible something has changed since I put those in (over 10 years ago now). I know guys who swear by Porterfield as well, but they're no bargain compared to the really low price options. I ran Bobcats for quite awhile and had a strange issue with wear pattern on the pads and the discs, so I just went back to new rotors with used OEM pads and they've been fine since.

I ran Ferodo pads on all my race bikes and would never change from them. They worked like magic for street and track. I've never run them on a car though.
Old 04-08-13, 07:56 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

HPS has a fairly weak bite IMO.

IMO in order of aggressiveness (street/autox pads only)
Hawk HP+, Axxis Ult, Stoptech, HPS

Like I said before, Hawk's are known to be loud and also expensive for what they do. If the OEM pad is so good and you don't care about dusting then why are you switching them out? Doesn't make any sense to try a different pad if you don't have any real expectations.
Old 04-08-13, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I dunno, maybe because the OEM pads melt at CMP? So would all the others you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech