IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Different coilover tiers / costs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 04:47 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts
Default Different coilover tiers / costs

I’m looking at the RR road and track, RR Penske, the Figs Ohlins road and track, and the Figs Ohlins TTX coils.

This is not a thread to compare them. Instead, will you please help me understand the price difference between 2000 / 4000 / 6000 dollar coilovers. What does that money really translate to, and how is it worth it? I hope to gain an education here, and not to disrespect either venders’ products. I welcome both venders to chime in as well.

I have been drag racing since the dawn of time, and this season I unexpectedly tired of it. I plan to change gears and build a GT styled ISF, with coils, weight reduction, and aero.

Ill probably never be anywhere near an expert racer, and will not do it competitively. Will someone in my shoes even notice a difference, and what will that difference be?

The car also sees a lot of street time, but is not a daily and never will be. So that should be considered. Kids are in it weekly at least once during summers. Indy streets suck year round, so it has to be able to handle a pothole when I’m not paying attention, or otherwise I’ll start bending rims.

Lastly, the functional aero for this platform is very steeply priced. Obviously it provides more stability at speed. How important is aero, and at what speeds is it critical? Is it important at Novice and Intermediate levels?
Old 08-16-19, 07:50 PM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Alot of it is personal preference so you'll get alot of diff opinions. Your best bet would be to email/call mike at figs. Explain what you're looking for and he will guide you. He is the absolute master at suspension.

As far as cost alot relates to the quality, material used, and application. If you are just trying to go low and nothing else then it can be cheap. The ones that are best for the track are usually more as they are more fine tuned and have alot more R&D behind them .

Last edited by davidcausa; 08-16-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 01:32 PM
Jwconeil

I’m surprised this hasn’t drawn more conversation. I get quality and R&D, but what does that mean in practical application? I’m sure Figs or RR will explain what will suit me best, but I want to actually understand the difference. I’ll journey down the path of research. Maybe this is more of a complex question (no sarcasm).
Old 08-18-19, 08:43 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Can’t speak for any except Penske coilovers(18k F, 16k R) from RR. I’ve had them for about 2 years now and I DD my car and track it. I LOVE THEM! Can’t stress that enough these absolutely blew me away. The way it handles roads even just cruising and also near the limit is just insane. I can tell you these inspire confidence and transform the ISF to a whole new level. Even with the rear end kicking out the car just feels 100% controllable with nannies off. I also love the adjustability of compression and rebound on them and unlike BC coilovers adjustments you actually feel the difference any time you make a change. In a way Penske coilovers ruined me because I will never buy anything less. Wish the ISF came stock with suspension this amazing.
Old 08-18-19, 02:16 PM
Grosen84
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Can’t speak for any except Penske coilovers(18k F, 16k R) from RR. I’ve had them for about 2 years now and I DD my car and track it. I LOVE THEM! Can’t stress that enough these absolutely blew me away. The way it handles roads even just cruising and also near the limit is just insane. I can tell you these inspire confidence and transform the ISF to a whole new level. Even with the rear end kicking out the car just feels 100% controllable with nannies off. I also love the adjustability of compression and rebound on them and unlike BC coilovers adjustments you actually feel the difference any time you make a change. In a way Penske coilovers ruined me because I will never buy anything less. Wish the ISF came stock with suspension this amazing.
Just curious, are you pre or post 2011?
Old 08-18-19, 02:27 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grosen84
Just curious, are you pre or post 2011?
2008 ISF here. I’m personally not a fan of plush or soft suspension. I know others like soft. I don’t. It’s not jarring like the BC coilovers it feels more like stock suspension on high end cars.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 08-18-19 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 05:28 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
I had read that the Penske 7500 shocks should be rebuilt regularly, specifically every 6 months. Have you had to rebuild yours? Can you feel any degradation in 2 years? I really wanted to go high end race set up but learning about the needed maintenance is a bit of a turn off. My time is tight. I specifically choose the ISF due to the low maintenance.

On another note, do you run mega arms and toe links?
Old 08-18-19, 05:48 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I had read that the Penske 7500 shocks should be rebuilt regularly, specifically every 6 months. Have you had to rebuild yours? Can you feel any degradation in 2 years? I really wanted to go high end race set up but learning about the needed maintenance is a bit of a turn off. My time is tight. I specifically choose the ISF due to the low maintenance.

On another note, do you run mega arms and toe links?
Never been rebuilt. You rebuild them when they go bad. Tracking a car has more wear on it then just daily driving. Since I’m not on a track 24/7 then no need. That’s like buying brand new tires every time your tires are at 70% life and not letting them actually wear out. They feel just as new as the first day I bought them. I have all of the figs rear arms as well. Can’t believe everything you see online plus I’m sure someone who’s rebuilding them so frequently probably track the car often and drive the car at the limit. I go to the track for fun plus I can only push so hard on street tires vs someone who’s on slicks so less abuse for my suspension. I do drive my car everyday and being SoCal the roads are perfectly paved so idk how they would fair on roads like in NY.
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (08-18-19)