IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 02:32 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Posted this in another thread, but I thought it may also be relevant in this thread too. Since purchasing my car used at 22k miles (I'm at 61k now), I've posted about transmission flare issues and rev hang going from 7th to 8th gear (above 80mph). I finally took my car to the dealer this past week to get the trans fluid levels checked and they came back and said that I was 1/2 quart low. They gave me the option of topping off or having all fluid changed. I decided with the latter. This may or may not have been too early, but given that I purchased the car used and have had this flare and rev, hang problem since I purchased, I decided to have all the fluid replaced for peace of mind. Either way the dealer pulled a sample for me and I'm planning to send it to Blackstone for analysis. The results will confirm if I jumped the gun on replacing the fluids. Will post the results in this thread once they're returned, stay tuned...
Update, better late than never, I finally sent my sample into Blackstone for testing. Not surprised on the results. This at least gives others peace of mind on where the fluid stands after 60k miles. While not necessary to replace 100% of the fluid after 60k miles, it's probably still a good idea to get the level checked every so often.
Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions-b2j3dlb.png
Old 05-18-16, 03:52 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^Goes along with what Lance (Lobux) has been saying is that his fluid was still good at I think 120k......so maybe 150k+ for the fluid before a complete change out maybe necessary??
Old 05-20-16, 03:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

this is great news. I was going to have them do drain and fill at 60k. I guess I will have them top it off because I have a tiny single flare in the morning when heading down hill. I want it gone plus I track my F more than anyone on here so a little extra early maintenance will not hurt . Taking her in tomorrow for oil, recall, and new rotors, pads, fluid, and brake lines.

Thanks to my buddy Jason, errr captain Jason who recommended the fluid and lines. Still stock pads and rotors kids.
Old 05-21-16, 09:55 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
this is great news. I was going to have them do drain and fill at 60k. I guess I will have them top it off because I have a tiny single flare in the morning when heading down hill. I want it gone plus I track my F more than anyone on here so a little extra early maintenance will not hurt . Taking her in tomorrow for oil, recall, and new rotors, pads, fluid, and brake lines.

Thanks to my buddy Jason, errr captain Jason who recommended the fluid and lines. Still stock pads and rotors kids.
It'll be good to get a sample pulled for your car and get it analyzed. I'd be curious to see how your fluid is since you track your car so much. I haven't tracked my car once, so it'll be like comparing apples to oranges. Post results if you do

Last edited by kzlflash; 05-22-16 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 09:49 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
It'll be good to get a sample pulled for your car and get it analyzed. I'd be curious to see how your fluid is since you track your car so much. I haven't tracked my car once, so it'll be like comparing apples or oranges. Post results if you do
^^^ This, i'd be curious to know your results. I might be sending them a sample so they can test as well.
Old 05-27-16, 01:27 AM
nsxisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be a dumb question, but where is the drain plug located? All I see is the "check" plug underneath the pan. Or I might be blind..
Old 08-16-16, 02:53 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission fluid change..another thread since the others are out dated.

Looked Through the manual and researched online:
I did not see a transmission fluid change interval. States "lifetime" fluid.

Whats have you guys done?? Im at 73k mine on my 08 ISF.

Spoke to 3 dealership today 8/16
Crown lexus in Ontario
" we wont touch it, its a sealed transmission."
Westminster lexus
$189 fluid drain and fill 6 quarts.
Riverside lexus
$480, total of 12 quartz replaced, and he went into the last part being topping off is the most important, and they will need to keep the car overnight.
Old 08-16-16, 03:41 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Why do they need it overnight??
Old 08-16-16, 03:51 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

The fluid needs to be at a certain temperature from what ive read and also what the SA mentioned.

lexus Westminster SA didnt explain into details as to what was going to be done, he jst said 6 quartz drain and fill.

Riverside Lexus mentioned they have done multiple ISF and that its a delicate thing to make sure the levels are correct.
Old 08-16-16, 03:55 PM
ToshJames
Driver School Candidate

I have had some Tech tell me to do a 60/40 split on trans fluid change. 60% new 40% existing so the tranny lasts longer.
Old 08-16-16, 05:17 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.mylparts.com/parts/2008/...%20LUBRICATION
Old 08-16-16, 07:27 PM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check with a local Toyota dealership. Same fluid and process, cheaper cost and probably won't have to let them keep it overnight. At least that's what I plan on doing.
Old 08-16-16, 08:04 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a full flush, you need to leave it there overnight. For a partial, you don't.
Old 08-16-16, 08:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

This again? We've covered this in excruciating detail, and the information in those threads is not "outdated."

NO MATTER WHAT you need to leave your car overnight to cool off. PERIOD. It is impossible to add fluid and set the level if the transmission fluid is over 114F. That happens in the first few minutes of driving and it really takes 8 hours - or more - to cool sufficiently to do a proper level check. Even if you delivered the car to the dealer first thing in the morning, unless you live one mile away, it's going to be the next day before they can properly check the level. AMHIK.

With that, this thread will be merged with the other threads because the information in them is NOT outdated, nor has Lexus changed their opinion about the transmission being a lifetime fill. Failure data gathered from this site and others does not indicate they've made a big mistake with this, and my own UOA from over 120k miles does not disagree with Lexus on this point.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-16-16 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (02-20-17)
Old 08-17-16, 03:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

yup . I left mine for a couple of days and told them to make sure they dont leave it outside in the heat. I had flares after but seemed to have vanished over the last 2 months. I even took it back for recheck of the level

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions