IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 02:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

If I ever saw the temp light come on, I would be swapping out all of the fluid no matter what. But I have not been successful in that endeavor even with air temp at 102F on a track weekend. It surely wasn't for lack of trying, my engine oil was one bar from the top of the scale. I agree, if you cook it, you'd better replace it. You should also be aware a single event cooking the oil means you've lost quite a bit of service life.
Old 04-24-16, 03:44 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FSM says the car needs to be level. There isn't a big difference to my level with the floor pan seam and the transmission's pan. Both show level within limits at the same pitch.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da..._Procedure.jpg
Lobuxracer, do you happen to know if the procedure to put the transmission in fluid level detection mode does anything other than attempt to read fluid temp? ie: pressurizes or depressurizes solenoids to ensure the fluid is at the specific level it needs to be at..?

Could a guy just have the transmission at operating temp, and check the fluid with the engine running VIA the check plug?
if no:
Where can we find the connector in which the terminals need to be shorted? I'm assuming by shorting, they mean just connect the 2 terminals with a single piece of wire?
Old 04-25-16, 11:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Use the OBDII connector. I am not sure what other items get put in test mode when you short the terminals, but the procedure says to run through all shift positions to actuate all the solenoids before checking the level.
Old 04-26-16, 08:22 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Use the OBDII connector. I am not sure what other items get put in test mode when you short the terminals, but the procedure says to run through all shift positions to actuate all the solenoids before checking the level.
Thanks for the info.

I'd rather not short terminals in my OBDII connector.. anyone know of any cost-effective alternatives ? will any of the cheapo scanner tools have this functionality?

OR, if someone does this procedure with techstream, can they take a temp reading with an IR gun at the transmission pan? That would be an easy way for others to make sure they have approx the same temp as required, without any major expense
Old 04-26-16, 09:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's all Techstream does. Short the two pins in the diagram. What makes you think an IR thermometer is going to work better than the factory sensor for this?

Old 04-26-16, 09:55 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

That's all Techstream does. Short the two pins in the diagram. What makes you think an IR thermometer is going to work better than the factory sensor for this?

I don't think an IR thermometer would work better for this.. it would be a safer alternative for those people that are worried they may blow a random fuse, or mess something up by accidentally shorting the wrong terminals on their OBDII connector.

I have that procedure saved.. are you able to clarify when it says "Short the TC and CG terminals of the DLC3" --- does this mean "Connect a single jumper wire that goes from the TC terminal to the CG terminal" or does this mean "create a short circuit by connecting TC and CG to a chassis ground"

I think I'm going to attempt to do this in my garage on jackstands
Old 04-26-16, 03:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Short means connect these two pins electrically. Ground means connect these two pins to ground.
Old 04-27-16, 09:27 PM
Caliman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine changed at dealer in norcal @ 45K
$200.00
And they didn't say anything to me about mileage or whether to change or not...
Old 04-29-16, 10:10 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Well I just finished topping up and checking the transmission fluid, following all the info in this thread.
My trans fluid was a little low, as I was suspecting.
Took it for a road test, it drives like a brand new car. I bought this car used, and its never shifted so smooth since I've owned it.
Only cost me 10 bucks to do.
Thanks for the guidance, Lobuxracer
Old 05-02-16, 08:19 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
Well I just finished topping up and checking the transmission fluid, following all the info in this thread.
Took it for a road test, it drives like a brand new car. I bought this car used, and its never shifted so smooth since I've owned it.
What steps did you do exactly?
Old 05-03-16, 07:23 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
How much did you topped up?
Old 05-03-16, 08:01 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

I followed this:

My trans was around 300mL low.
Old 05-03-16, 06:43 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did it myself too - no issue in shorting the two pins out with a thin wire.

Look on another Lexus forum - I believe it was a GS or ES forum post that shows the picture of the pins he shorted or follow the above diagram.

took 13 minutes for the P to turn on.

You need a shallow socket to get the refill nut - I had got myself a 3/8 version and had no issues.

Hex nut 5 mm i believe and that was able to remove the overflow.
Old 05-04-16, 07:04 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clarionguy
Just did it myself too - no issue in shorting the two pins out with a thin wire.

Look on another Lexus forum - I believe it was a GS or ES forum post that shows the picture of the pins he shorted or follow the above diagram.

took 13 minutes for the P to turn on.

You need a shallow socket to get the refill nut - I had got myself a 3/8 version and had no issues.

Hex nut 5 mm i believe and that was able to remove the overflow.
How much fluid did you happened to fill in? were you low?
Old 05-18-16, 08:36 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Update: I got ATM changed in the oil pan on Monday. The transmission feels amazing. A lot smoother.

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions