IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Old 01-26-16, 09:42 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by STLblueF
I emailed my dealership and asked them if they would perform a level check and top off and they replied that they cannot service the transmission since it is a sealed unit. I'll be saving this email in case I run into any issues down the road.
Call up other dealers. I got the same response from certain dealers in my area, while other dealers said the opposite. It is 100% false that they can't service it. It's more of the fact that they're risk adverse to touching the transmission.
Old 01-26-16, 05:30 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k20trick
Wonder if the people tracking their cars consistently are keeping the lifetime fluid intact in these transmissions...
I can't count the track days I've done, I've never touched my transmission and I haven't experienced any issues yet. I have just under 60,000miles.
Old 01-26-16, 07:41 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
I can't count the track days I've done, I've never touched my transmission and I haven't experienced any issues yet. I have just under 60,000miles.
That's great to hear, looks like I blew all my money for nothing
Old 03-14-16, 02:13 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Haven't been back to this thread since Oct 2015.

k20trick/kzlflash - prior to ATF flush, did you guys have transmission slip after a really quick turn (for example, quick left turn at an intersection and won't upshift even when you give it gas)? and did the flush resolved it?

My ISF would still jump off the line in sport mode without giving it much gas but I have an issue after doing left turns.
Old 03-14-16, 07:49 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zelfiris

k20trick/kzlflash - prior to ATF flush, did you guys have transmission slip after a really quick turn (for example, quick left turn at an intersection and won't upshift even when you give it gas)? and did the flush resolved it?

My ISF would still jump off the line in sport mode without giving it much gas but I have an issue after doing left turns.
The transmission never slipped before or after the fluid change. I noticed quicker shifting and more smooth engagement of gears when going through each gear, but that's about it.

The transmission holds gear when making a hard left turn or right depending on how much gas I give it in sport mode. It never slips though, this is normal characteristics same goes for when stopping from 70-30 abruptly it will down shift or when going downhill or up hill. The tranny will shift to the next appropriate gear on it's own granted im going soft on the pedal and/or off the pedal never do I have to manually shift it to get it to shift.
Old 03-14-16, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

This exact problem was resolved with mine after setting the level correctly.
Old 03-15-16, 12:56 AM
hamooduae
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

how many Litres are used for the ATF ?
which brands are good to use ?
LIQUI MOLY or other types ?
Old 03-15-16, 07:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Toyota WS only. There are no substitutes. 11 litres.
Old 03-15-16, 01:26 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This exact problem was resolved with mine after setting the level correctly.
Thanks lobuxracer!

My local dealership offers partial refill. Now I need to ask if they can do the full 11L flush/refill
Old 03-15-16, 04:18 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just from the drain plug it will not let out 11 litres.

Thanks lobuxracer!

My local dealership offers partial refill. Now I need to ask if they can do the full 11L flush/refill
Old 03-15-16, 06:49 PM
k20trick
Instructor

For the guys worrying about the transmission holding gear, dont you want it to hold the car especially when you gun it through the corner as soon as you ease off the pedal in auto/sport mode it should shift out to the next gear on its own am I not seeing the same idea here?
Old 03-16-16, 09:42 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

For the guys worrying about the transmission holding gear, dont you want it to hold the car especially when you gun it through the corner as soon as you ease off the pedal in auto/sport mode it should shift out to the next gear on its own am I not seeing the same idea here?
i think more are worried about the transmission running the way its suppose to be from factory.
Old 03-16-16, 10:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Right. It doesn't do that when the level is wrong. You can fully lift and it stays in the gear you initiated the turn with. There is no transmission response to throttle position when this happens. The engine responds properly, but the gearbox does not upshift when you back out of the throttle.
Old 03-16-16, 10:15 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

AFTER TALKING TO JOEZ, I'LL MIGHT DO MINE WHEN I GET TO 60K, AND CHANGE SPARK PLUGS AS WELL COOL THREAD
Old 03-16-16, 01:32 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Gonna talk to my SA @ Lexus (who owns a modded F) when I bring her in on the 18th for the fuel pressure sensor gasket recall. Would at least like to have the ATF level checked. If the local dealer won't do a complete fluid change, I'll find one in Canada who will (since it's part of their 100Km service schedule).

My tranny has always worked without issues, even with the 7200 rpm tune. Could a slightly low fluid level cause the torque converter to unlock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions