IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 06:35 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Well on all of my cars manuals and autos I have never gone 100k before a fluid change, it shouldnt hurt. The only car I've ever had without a fluid change bmw 328 and well that had been long gone before it ever even hit 50k.

And almost always by changing the fluid you notice the shift quality improved right away, hopefully I get that same feeling once the fluid is change with this car.
Old 01-19-16, 10:32 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
I don't mind, I am here to give and receive throughout the forums, I was quoted $480 including all the fluids. $400 would've been the sweet spot, however I didn't feel like haggling him down as Eric seemed like the only one that knew the procedure and the car. I felt like he knew his stuff and the work involved, etc. Figure, you go to an independent shop that does not have the right tools and/or knowledge to replace fluid and check the levels and pay $200 or so, and in my opinion I think it's better route to not cheap out and go to the Dealer, someone who knows what they are talking about and have the necessary protocols for the job.

At $400 including the fluids, I wouldve took it in a heartbeat.
Agreed, Erik was the only SA that I spoke to who seemed to have a clue of the overall procedure for the level check and change. I was quoted the same amount for the entire fluid change. I also got a free loaner for 3 days while this procedure was being performed.

You will not find any dealer that will charge $200 or under for this type of procedures. For that price you're likely looking at just the level check and a top off of the fluid.

Happy to report that after driving 25 miles in stop and go traffic the flare seems to have vastly improved. Throttle response has also improved as a result. Down shift response in manual + sport seems to have also improved, although this all might be a placebo effect. There still seems to be rev hang from 7-8 at greater than 80 mph though. Will continue driving in stop and go traffic in normal + sport mode for the rest of the week to see if any flare continues to occur.

Last edited by kzlflash; 01-19-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 02:58 PM
k20trick
Instructor

So pretty much it did not solve the problem then other than improve it a slight bit
Old 01-19-16, 03:20 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

I'd say the feeling is vastly improved. It's just that there is still a rev hang from 7th to 8th in manual mode. I hardly use those gears either way. Based on my commute today, when the car felt like it was about to go into flare mode, it would instead catch into gear whereas before it would flare up.
Old 01-21-16, 06:38 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Hey KZ I just got my car back to today and it's not a placebo effect. I definitely feel the difference in shift quality. Immediately I noticed the shifting is much more smoother, before you could tell during gear changes, now its just goes to next gear and you cant notice it shifted (most of the time). Also, the car wants to jump forward more easily now whereas before in d you had to gas it more. Maybe it's in my head or maybe it was from driving the ct loaner for 2 days. Drove 60+ miles to Lexus Riverside and they did an awesome job! I dont regret it one bit, well worth the money. Also I got charged $10 more for the washers which was fine and they used 12 quarts of WS fluid. Not sure if it was checking the level that did it or having new fluid in there, but great recommendation man. So for those 60 miles I was going easy, no flares so far but only time I experience flare is downhill wot. And it will shift on its own just takes a bit.

For anyone that wants to really change out the fluid for almost 100% give Eric a call at Lexus Riverside (he knows his stuff for sure, especially the F), also the technician's name is Mark. He does great work, and no I am not affiliated with him. KZ brought this to the table and Im glad he did.

The last few miles of my trip home, I was satisfied the whole way in D mode so I put the sport mode on manual the last few miles of my trip just to try it out, the gears shift faster No Lie! So whoever said this is lifetime fluid is lying,maybe the life of the owner, Im the 2nd owner so I decided to move forward with the work. I've changed ws fluid in newer camrys and a lot of other cars and have always had great results and it didnt change with this car.

Last edited by k20trick; 01-21-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 08:53 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^^Good to know thanks! I'll probably be doing that soon because my mileage is about 63k and have been noticing some shift flare and hanging up the last couple months.
Old 01-22-16, 01:38 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey KZ I just got my car back to today and it's not a placebo effect. I definitely feel the difference in shift quality. Immediately I noticed the shifting is much more smoother, before you could tell during gear changes, now its just goes to next gear and you cant notice it shifted (most of the time). Also, the car wants to jump forward more easily now whereas before in d you had to gas it more. Maybe it's in my head or maybe it was from driving the ct loaner for 2 days. Drove 60+ miles to Lexus Riverside and they did an awesome job! I dont regret it one bit, well worth the money. Also I got charged $10 more for the washers which was fine and they used 12 quarts of WS fluid. Not sure if it was checking the level that did it or having new fluid in there, but great recommendation man. So for those 60 miles I was going easy, no flares so far but only time I experience flare is downhill wot. And it will shift on its own just takes a bit.

For anyone that wants to really change out the fluid for almost 100% give Eric a call at Lexus Riverside (he knows his stuff for sure, especially the F), also the technician's name is Mark. He does great work, and no I am not affiliated with him. KZ brought this to the table and Im glad he did.

The last few miles of my trip home, I was satisfied the whole way in D mode so I put the sport mode on manual the last few miles of my trip just to try it out, the gears shift faster No Lie! So whoever said this is lifetime fluid is lying,maybe the life of the owner, Im the 2nd owner so I decided to move forward with the work. I've changed ws fluid in newer camrys and a lot of other cars and have always had great results and it didnt change with this car.
Couldn't all of these improvements be due to the transmission now having the correct fluid level? Didn't Lance have a similar experience to yours just by simply adjusting to the correct levels? You even mentioned that this might be the reason for the improvement in your post but then you say "So whoever said this is lifetime fluid is lying."

It is a lifetime fluid. You just have to make sure you have the correct amount of it.
Old 01-22-16, 11:23 AM
k20trick
Instructor

I suppose it may have been the level check however certainly not going to keep thy ws fluid in there for the life of the car. Having fresh fluid in there isn't bad at all which could explain the improved shift quality.
Old 01-24-16, 10:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Couldn't all of these improvements be due to the transmission now having the correct fluid level? Didn't Lance have a similar experience to yours just by simply adjusting to the correct levels? You even mentioned that this might be the reason for the improvement in your post but then you say "So whoever said this is lifetime fluid is lying."

It is a lifetime fluid. You just have to make sure you have the correct amount of it.
Yes. This gearbox is very sensitive to level and even a few ounces low will make it act up. It will flare, it will stick in gear, and it will completely fail to shift under certain circumstances - usually when you are going down a significant grade or cornering closer to the traction limits.

Adjusting the level fixed all of this.
Old 01-24-16, 12:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes. This gearbox is very sensitive to level and even a few ounces low will make it act up. It will flare, it will stick in gear, and it will completely fail to shift under certain circumstances - usually when you are going down a significant grade or cornering closer to the traction limits.

Adjusting the level fixed all of this.
Agreed...

So what's your take on a few ounces OVER ??

Joe Z
Old 01-24-16, 06:38 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Wonder if the people tracking their cars consistently are keeping the lifetime fluid intact in these transmissions...
Old 01-24-16, 06:49 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Wonder if the people tracking their cars consistently are keeping the lifetime fluid intact in these transmissions...
Doubt it. But then again not a lot of Lexus owners are hard core trackers so it'll be hard to find a owner to attest to the fluid longevity.
Old 01-24-16, 09:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I've done five track weekends in my car. Fluid is still good according to Blackstone.
Old 01-25-16, 12:52 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Agreed...

So what's your take on a few ounces OVER ??

Joe Z
I did a drain and fill over the weekend. From what I have read around it seems drain and fill would be anywhere between 3.5 quarts to 4 quarts. I put in ~3.8qt...maybe less since I spilled quiet a bit. I didn't have time to do the level check, but I have noticed no problems so far. I drove 200+ miles and took the car to Autox. My shift flare is gone when cornering hard and it shifts smoother as well.

I will do the proper level check this weekend and see how much over/under I am.
Old 01-25-16, 06:10 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I emailed my dealership and asked them if they would perform a level check and top off and they replied that they cannot service the transmission since it is a sealed unit. I'll be saving this email in case I run into any issues down the road.

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1