IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Old 09-10-15, 04:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

So what happens if it's a little bit over ??

I have done the drain & refill twice.. So far 50K and over 100K.. Measured what came out.. Replaced exact amount plus approx 1/2 qt extra.
So far soo good ..

Haven't had a cold shift flare in a long while..

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Both of these sound like a drain pan and refill, not a full fluid change. Based on the results I have from Blackstone, it's probably just fine. A full fluid change is a little more than 11 US quarts, and I paid $110 at Toyota for a case (12 quarts) of WS. Lexus charges more. So having the whole job done for less than $200 tells me they are not doing a full change at all.

If I wanted to do a refresh without going crazy, I would do this:

Start the engine, set up the temperature monitoring and get the fluid to the right temp for level adjustment.

Remove the fill overflow with the engine idling.

Shut off the engine, catch and measure the amount of oil that comes out (you will be surprised at how much it is).

Remove the drain from the pan, catch and measure the amount of oil that comes out. It should be less than 2 quarts.

If you want to go a little crazy, drop the oil pan, replace the filter and clean the pan. Check the three magnets for any ferrous metal. Install the pan with a new gasket.

Put the drain and fill check plugs back in place. Torque the drain plug to spec.

Add the same amount of fluid you drained out from the fill and drain plugs. Add another 1/2 quart.

Run through the level setting procedure again (start the engine, stroke through the gears, get into temperature monitoring mode, remove the fill overflow plug), and you should have the extra half quart drain out again.

Finish level adjustment procedure per the FSM and put the fill overflow plug back in with a new crush washer - torque to 15 ft-lbs.
Old 09-11-15, 09:36 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to know this answer too - It is alway tough to crawl under the car even with the four jack stands. Yet no lexus / mechanic dealership is willing to do it properly.
I would rather add 1/4 quarts at a time until results are better.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
So what happens if it's a little bit over ??

I have done the drain & refill twice.. So far 50K and over 100K.. Measured what came out.. Replaced exact amount plus approx 1/2 qt extra.
So far soo good ..

Haven't had a cold shift flare in a long while..
Old 09-12-15, 11:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by clarionguy
I want to know this answer too - It is alway tough to crawl under the car even with the four jack stands. Yet no lexus / mechanic dealership is willing to do it properly.
I would rather add 1/4 quarts at a time until results are better.
Buy a creeper and stop crawling under the car.
Old 10-21-15, 10:35 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who have their ATF changed, how much oil did you drained and refilled?

Dealer says the service is about 3.4L for drain and refill.

The PDF they provided for me says:
-Automatic Transaxle (Dry Fill) 11L (11.6, 9.7)
-Automatic Transaxle (Drain and Refill) 3.7L (3.91, 3.26)
Old 10-22-15, 04:30 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i read through both threads page for page and I am having a hard time understanding that this car is now 8 years old and there is not any procedures to have it replaced?
Old 12-03-15, 06:52 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I've also read the entire thread ans I guess the conclusion is to have your levels checked, but at how many miles? Also, when do we have it fully changed? Never? Only partially? I'm at 40000 on my 08. I appreciate all the great information on here. On this though I'm unsure on the consensus or if there was one.
Old 12-03-15, 06:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Given the issues I have experienced with low levels, I would suggest checking/adjusting the level every 20k miles. The performance difference is really significant.
Old 12-03-15, 07:40 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Given the issues I have experienced with low levels, I would suggest checking/adjusting the level every 20k miles. The performance difference is really significant.
Thanks and I will
Old 01-18-16, 11:43 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Posted this in another thread, but I thought it may also be relevant in this thread too. Since purchasing my car used at 22k miles (I'm at 61k now), I've posted about transmission flare issues and rev hang going from 7th to 8th gear (above 80mph). I finally took my car to the dealer this past week to get the trans fluid levels checked and they came back and said that I was 1/2 quart low. They gave me the option of topping off or having all fluid changed. I decided with the latter. This may or may not have been too early, but given that I purchased the car used and have had this flare and rev, hang problem since I purchased, I decided to have all the fluid replaced for peace of mind. Either way the dealer pulled a sample for me and I'm planning to send it to Blackstone for analysis. The results will confirm if I jumped the gun on replacing the fluids. Will post the results in this thread once they're returned, stay tuned...
Old 01-18-16, 12:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

When I had my radiator replaced under the cooling fan recall, it was pretty obvious Lexus failed to check the transmission fluid level. I had flare, sticking in gear after hard turns, and all the other symptoms I had before I set the level myself. I wasn't at all happy about it because setting the level is such a PITA.

I figured I'd try a couple of things. First, I added about half a quart of fluid - before I ever started the car - to be sure I would have more than enough. Second, I figured I'd add just a little more than the procedure calls for.

After adding about a half of a bottle, I started the car and ran it. It took 900 seconds at idle from 54F to get to 95F (35C). I pulled the fill check plug, and drained the excess, then installed the plug. I let the engine cool completely while I replaced all four rotors and all brake pads. Then I added exactly 4 ounces to the transmission and put the fill plug back in place permanently (I did have it in while I was running the engine, but only finger tight). My bottle now contains exactly 14 ounces of fluid.

So I used a total of 20 ounces of fresh fluid, minus the 4 ounces I overfilled, which leaves 16 ounces used initially. I measured exactly how much came out of the fill check, it was 12 ounces on the dot. So my gearbox was only 4 ounces low out of 11+ quarts, and I was getting flare and gear hold issues. That tells me this gearbox is super sensitive to low level - anything below spec, and you can believe your gearbox will start acting up.

So as much of a PITA as it is, I will be getting the car on stands every 20k miles to reset the level. Period.

Luckily, that's the same interval for differential oil with the OS Giken LSD!
Old 01-18-16, 07:07 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I called up SA Eric from Lexus Riverside, I will be bringing my car in for the transmission fluid change (12 quarts) with overnight level check. Per my conversation with him, he knew what he was talking about, really knew his stuff. I called two other dealership closer to me and they avoided talking about the atf, well Eric told me the procedure and what he does over there.

This is actually a very easy process that I can do at home, the hard part is the level check method which is something Im not too comfortable with so I am shelling out the cash of gettomg it done professionally for the piece of mind. Yeah you can overfill .5 quarts etc... but without really checking the level of it, your never really getting the right amount in or out and per Lobux's method, it seems like a nightmare.

I will let you guys know how it turns out once its completed. BTW, the only time my transmission flares is going downhill wot 1-2-3-4 gear it will hold the last gear for a few seconds and will upshift on it's own. It has never gave me problems where I have to shift manually or where problem was really noticeable other than going downhill.

I bought my car used with 60k, but I have literally changed everything I could plus the car looks like it only has 10k on it literally. The atf is the only thing I was holding off on until KZ got it done there and I found my own research through the Service Advisor there.

Cost is no where near 100-200 its a lot more!
Old 01-18-16, 08:38 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
I called up SA Eric from Lexus Riverside, I will be bringing my car in for the transmission fluid change (12 quarts) with overnight level check. Per my conversation with him, he knew what he was talking about, really knew his stuff. I called two other dealership closer to me and they avoided talking about the atf, well Eric told me the procedure and what he does over there.

This is actually a very easy process that I can do at home, the hard part is the level check method which is something Im not too comfortable with so I am shelling out the cash of gettomg it done professionally for the piece of mind. Yeah you can overfill .5 quarts etc... but without really checking the level of it, your never really getting the right amount in or out and per Lobux's method, it seems like a nightmare.

I will let you guys know how it turns out once its completed. BTW, the only time my transmission flares is going downhill wot 1-2-3-4 gear it will hold the last gear for a few seconds and will upshift on it's own. It has never gave me problems where I have to shift manually or where problem was really noticeable other than going downhill.

I bought my car used with 60k, but I have literally changed everything I could plus the car looks like it only has 10k on it literally. The atf is the only thing I was holding off on until KZ got it done there and I found my own research through the Service Advisor there.

Cost is no where near 100-200 its a lot more!
What did they quote you? If you don't mind me asking...
Old 01-18-16, 09:33 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When spoke to SA in Lexus of riverside he quoted me 400 bucks plus a free loaner . Maybe KZ and K20 got better deals I've had less than desirable experiences at that dealership and it's my local one too.
Old 01-18-16, 10:28 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't mind, I am here to give and receive throughout the forums, I was quoted $480 including all the fluids. $400 would've been the sweet spot, however I didn't feel like haggling him down as Eric seemed like the only one that knew the procedure and the car. I felt like he knew his stuff and the work involved, etc. Figure, you go to an independent shop that does not have the right tools and/or knowledge to replace fluid and check the levels and pay $200 or so, and in my opinion I think it's better route to not cheap out and go to the Dealer, someone who knows what they are talking about and have the necessary protocols for the job.

At $400 including the fluids, I wouldve took it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-19-16, 01:39 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I change my transmission fluid drop the transmission pan and change the filter every 30,000 miles, The fluid changes color and starts holding metallic pieces way before 100,000 miles which will give the transmission cooling problems and ware down internal parts. If you drive hard on your car like I do make sure you change the filter and use Toyota world standard fluid every 30,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with making sure there won't be any problems. I worked for a Lexus dealer in Brooklyn and I have never even heard of any transmission problems with anyone that did the above and some people I know have over 500,000 miles on there Is vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions