IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 11:13 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Awesome results. Thanks for the info lobuxracer.
Old 09-06-15, 07:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just when you think it might be bad, the truth is told. Still no change necessary.
Great info Lance... Uploaded my test reaults from this past April as well

Joe Z
Old 09-08-15, 11:43 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just when you think it might be bad, the truth is told. Still no change necessary.
Kind of snarky comment there from Blackstone, haha!
Old 09-08-15, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ihadboost
I had the dealer check it out and the tech over there who I trust stated that it was indeed low by half a quart. He also said he inspected it for leaks but, couldn't find any evidence of one. It had to sit over night to cool down and then he had to bring it up to temp to check it out. He added half a quart and maybe it's just placebo effect but, it shifts awesome now. Took it out and beat it up a bit and not once did I get any hang or strange behavior.

They didn't even charge me a dime.
Hey bud what dealer was it. Arrowhead sucks *** for anything other than the very most basic service. I am thinking about mnaking the drive to Scottsdale or even Bell Lexus
Old 09-09-15, 08:45 AM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Hey bud what dealer was it. Arrowhead sucks *** for anything other than the very most basic service. I am thinking about mnaking the drive to Scottsdale or even Bell Lexus
Bell Lexus North Scottsdale. Demand that only Clint works on your car - he's a friend of mine and has about 25 years with Lexus. Tell him Brandon sent you. He knows his **** and is very meticulous.
Old 09-09-15, 06:00 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Went in to the local dealer for the 60k service today. I told them I was experiencing some transmission issues. The ones I've experienced is revs climb up before the next shift (almost like a slipping clutch) and if I do a really hard stop it seems the transmission wants to slam hard into lower gear. This is all in non sport mode and car fully warmed up. I don't experience this every day, it's once in awhile.

They called me tonight and said the service was done and the tech checked the codes and nothing came up on the transmission. Go figure... I have a feeling my transmission is low on fluid, but they wouldn't touch it unless I had a code.

Last edited by PatrickISF; 09-09-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 06:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Went in to the local dealer for the 60k service today. I told them I was experiencing some transmission issues. The ones I've experienced is revs climb up before the next shift (almost like a slipping clutch) and if I do a really hard stop it seems the transmission wants to slam hard into lower gear. This is all in non sport mode and car fully warmed up. I don't experience this every day, it's once in awhile.

They called me tonight and said the service was done and the tech checked the codes and nothing came up on the transmission. Go figure... I have a feeling my transmission is low on fluid, but they wouldn't touch it unless I had a code.
You won't have a code until it is far too late. I would insist they perform the level check as prescribed in the service manual. I'd say bring it by my house and we'll do it, but the car has to sit overnight to get cool enough to perform the check.
Old 09-09-15, 07:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ihadboost
Bell Lexus North Scottsdale. Demand that only Clint works on your car - he's a friend of mine and has about 25 years with Lexus. Tell him Brandon sent you. He knows his **** and is very meticulous.
Thanks very kindly , buddy. That really helps. I am learning that it is not as easy as I thought to find a good tech even at the dealership.

Originally Posted by PatrickISF

This is exactly and precisely why I am refusing to do this kind of a check at my current dealership. They dont know how to think. This tells me they dont have a true understanding of the vehicle as much as how to read directions. So frustrating when they just tell you its all normal
Old 09-09-15, 07:49 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Try another dealership, I've bring mine to my local dealer amd they said that I should replace fluid (after I asked him to check it), he told me we don't check it here we just replace it at 60k, cost me 150$, done deal, I feel more confident now when I give it love ;-)
Old 09-09-15, 09:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

good to hear !
Old 09-09-15, 09:59 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Longo Lexus quoted me 165 otd for the ws oil transmission change. Like lobux said it has to be there overnight for the correct temperature.
Old 09-10-15, 11:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sedan
Try another dealership, I've bring mine to my local dealer amd they said that I should replace fluid (after I asked him to check it), he told me we don't check it here we just replace it at 60k, cost me 150$, done deal, I feel more confident now when I give it love ;-)
Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Longo Lexus quoted me 165 otd for the ws oil transmission change. Like lobux said it has to be there overnight for the correct temperature.
Both of these sound like a drain pan and refill, not a full fluid change. Based on the results I have from Blackstone, it's probably just fine. A full fluid change is a little more than 11 US quarts, and I paid $110 at Toyota for a case (12 quarts) of WS. Lexus charges more. So having the whole job done for less than $200 tells me they are not doing a full change at all.

If I wanted to do a refresh without going crazy, I would do this:

Start the engine, set up the temperature monitoring and get the fluid to the right temp for level adjustment.

Remove the fill overflow with the engine idling.

Shut off the engine, catch and measure the amount of oil that comes out (you will be surprised at how much it is).

Remove the drain from the pan, catch and measure the amount of oil that comes out. It should be less than 2 quarts.

If you want to go a little crazy, drop the oil pan, replace the filter and clean the pan. Check the three magnets for any ferrous metal. Install the pan with a new gasket.

Put the drain and fill check plugs back in place. Torque the drain plug to spec.

Add the same amount of fluid you drained out from the fill and drain plugs. Add another 1/2 quart.

Run through the level setting procedure again (start the engine, stroke through the gears, get into temperature monitoring mode, remove the fill overflow plug), and you should have the extra half quart drain out again.

Finish level adjustment procedure per the FSM and put the fill overflow plug back in with a new crush washer - torque to 15 ft-lbs.
Old 09-10-15, 11:54 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I did the level check last weekend when I had her up on jack stands for brake work. Nothing came out of the drain plug at first, so I began pumping some fluid into the fill.. Though, it didn't take much for it to flow out of the drain plug, so my fluid level must not have been very low (if at all).

I still need to determine how much of the original quart is left since I had it in a different container to pump into the transmission, plus a little bit ended up on the floor. I probably added less than 1/4 of a quart.

BTW, laying under a running vehicle while working inches away from hot cats & exhaust is definitely not fun.

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
GSEREP111 (05-09-17)
Old 09-10-15, 12:49 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Both of these sound like a drain pan and refill, not a full fluid change. Based on the results I have from Blackstone, it's probably just fine. A full fluid change is a little more than 11 US quarts, and I paid $110 at Toyota for a case (12 quarts) of WS. Lexus charges more. So having the whole job done for less than $200 tells me they are not doing a full change at all.

If I wanted to do a refresh without going crazy, I would do this:

Start the engine, set up the temperature monitoring and get the fluid to the right temp for level adjustment.

Remove the fill overflow with the engine idling.

Shut off the engine, catch and measure the amount of oil that comes out (you will be surprised at how much it is).

Remove the drain from the pan, catch and measure the amount of oil that comes out. It should be less than 2 quarts.

If you want to go a little crazy, drop the oil pan, replace the filter and clean the pan. Check the three magnets for any ferrous metal. Install the pan with a new gasket.

Put the drain and fill check plugs back in place. Torque the drain plug to spec.

Add the same amount of fluid you drained out from the fill and drain plugs. Add another 1/2 quart.

Run through the level setting procedure again (start the engine, stroke through the gears, get into temperature monitoring mode, remove the fill overflow plug), and you should have the extra half quart drain out again.

Finish level adjustment procedure per the FSM and put the fill overflow plug back in with a new crush washer - torque to 15 ft-lbs.
Possibly, either way partial or full flush is good enough for me anyway:-)
Old 09-10-15, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

to be honest I would happy with just a partial replacement too and a top off. Thats all I need. My car is only 40k but I do tons of track days. ( 8 in 16 months !!) so I would feel better just to have it topped off and checked.

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1