IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 01:55 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely going to follow your instructions and do this.

I had no faith the dealer did not do it right.

Hope my techstream still works. Last time I plugged it in I saw the temp of the tranny.
Old 08-30-15, 09:37 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So, despite Lexus firm recommendation to only check for leaks, I really think the level needs to be checked and reset routinely as well. I had long suspected I had low fluid, but I've been putting off doing anything about it while I waited for the 120,000 mile mark to send in my second ATF sample to Blackstone. I won't go so far as to say, figure out how to do an oil change (but I am fully expecting Blackstone will tell me the fluid is either dead or only has a few gasps left before necrosis sets in. I bought a case of WS just for that reason, and I have some ideas how I might perform this if it is true. I won't be using the oil cooler lines, I have a different idea. I'll post more about it when it truly becomes necessary, and hopefully it will be DIY friendly for those who know the difference between a #1 and a #2 phillips.

Blackstone sample sent off today. Should have results in about 10 days or so. I'll post them here.

It's really nice to have it shifting like new again...
Nice read..!!

Definitely compare your Blackstone results with mine I sent you.

The lab work I had done was with 100k miles - with an approx 3 qt swap out at 50k miles..

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to set the level as you did.. I always measure what comes out of the pan and replace with same amount + 1-2 cups extra.. Depending on what came out

So far so good.. Will see what happens at 150k miles..

For sure I agree Lexus' approach to set it forget at factory is a poor decision..

This ATF WS Fluid does burn away and also evaporates over time.!!

Joe Z
Old 08-30-15, 03:13 PM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check the fluid level first (and so will the dealer). Don't assume it's good. We had a member with a failed seal on one of the external sensors and it leaked out enough fluid to make it act up. At your mileage, it's a warranty repair no matter how you slice it.
I had the dealer check it out and the tech over there who I trust stated that it was indeed low by half a quart. He also said he inspected it for leaks but, couldn't find any evidence of one. It had to sit over night to cool down and then he had to bring it up to temp to check it out. He added half a quart and maybe it's just placebo effect but, it shifts awesome now. Took it out and beat it up a bit and not once did I get any hang or strange behavior.

They didn't even charge me a dime.
Old 08-30-15, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ihadboost
I had the dealer check it out and the tech over there who I trust stated that it was indeed low by half a quart. He also said he inspected it for leaks but, couldn't find any evidence of one. It had to sit over night to cool down and then he had to bring it up to temp to check it out. He added half a quart and maybe it's just placebo effect but, it shifts awesome now. Took it out and beat it up a bit and not once did I get any hang or strange behavior.

They didn't even charge me a dime.
If it's placebo, we're both experiencing it. Mine hasn't shifted this nicely in any recent memory, maybe never. And I am pretty sure Blackstone is going to tell me the fluid in it has already given up the ghost.

I know the procedure well. Sounds like he followed it to the letter.
Old 08-30-15, 06:10 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would we suspect if it was "overfilled"?

e.g. since I am pretty sure I am low on fluid how about adding excessive amount then when the proper temperature is reached, open the fill check port (allowing the excessive to pour out)?

Last edited by clarionguy; 08-30-15 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by clarionguy
What would we suspect if it was "overfilled"?

e.g. since I am pretty sure I am low on fluid how about adding excessive amount then when the proper temperature is reached, open the fill check port (allowing the excessive to pour out)?
That's how it is done by the factory procedure.
Old 08-31-15, 04:26 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Great info, lobux. Do you think you could upload the relevant service manual pages on here please?

Is the pan also a suitable surface for ensuring the car is level? On my previous vehicle, when I DIY'd a full fluid exchange, I opted to use the pinch welds instead. The pan seemed to sit on a slope, and the FSM wasn't very specific about what to preferably use.
Old 08-31-15, 09:06 AM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's placebo, we're both experiencing it. Mine hasn't shifted this nicely in any recent memory, maybe never. And I am pretty sure Blackstone is going to tell me the fluid in it has already given up the ghost.

I know the procedure well. Sounds like he followed it to the letter.
Good deal. Glad to know it's working out well for you too. Drove it to work today and still no issues.
Old 08-31-15, 09:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by M4rk
Great info, lobux. Do you think you could upload the relevant service manual pages on here please?

Is the pan also a suitable surface for ensuring the car is level? On my previous vehicle, when I DIY'd a full fluid exchange, I opted to use the pinch welds instead. The pan seemed to sit on a slope, and the FSM wasn't very specific about what to preferably use.
FSM says the car needs to be level. There isn't a big difference to my level with the floor pan seam and the transmission's pan. Both show level within limits at the same pitch.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-12-18 at 07:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
BertoISF (04-24-21), nigel821 (11-02-23)
Old 09-02-15, 04:22 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

FSM says the car needs to be level. There isn't a big difference to my level with the floor pan seam and the transmission's pan. Both show level within limits at the same pitch.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da..._Procedure.jpg
Thanks for the information. I may check my fluid level over the holiday weekend. I have a few questions though...

1. To what extend was Techstream used? Was it simply to read the actual fluid temp rather than relying on the shift range indicator only?

2. In your opinion, how important is it to replace the overflow plug gasket & refill plug o-ring? If it's critical, do you happen to know the part numbers for those?
NOTE: My car is a '12 with just over 30K miles)

Thanks...

-Mike
Old 09-02-15, 10:06 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Techstream was used to short the DLC pins and read the temperature. If you are comfortable shorting the necessary pins in the DLC, the multidisplay will work just fine. I actually had both working at the same time because the multidisplay is actually more convenient than the laptop's data active list.

I didn't replace the gaskets. I also didn't put a full 15 ft-lbs on the fill check plug because the 5mm hex was not being very friendly at that torque value. I will definitely replace it next time though. I am quite certain is has lost all crush capability.
Old 09-04-15, 12:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Guys - discussion around illegal versions of Techstream is against the forum rules. The eBay and Amazon versions are pirated software, so we can't delve into it here. If you buy Techstream lite through TIS we can discuss it all day long. Besides, this thread is about the gearbox, not Techstream. I would hate to have to close this thread because the discussion violated site rules.
Old 09-05-15, 07:09 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Hey lobux, any info on the ATF oil results?
Old 09-05-15, 08:27 PM
zpletcher
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATF Fluid

Originally Posted by Brian85ISF
What my mechanics had me shift the lever up, and down slowly then checks the fluid a few times..lol. I have a friend who works for Toyota that says their fluid is the best there is in the industry. Even bugermass (Tuner) believes in the fluid. If I ever get to increase the power of the car I do plan on increasing the size of both engine, and transmission coolers. For peace of mind.
When I had My Toyota certified mechanic a few years ago replace the timing belt on my 05
Toyota Landcrusher at 90K miles. He insisted on changing the trans fluid, even though it did not call for it.. I am glad he did.. He said it was so black he took it around the shop and showed it to all the other mechanics.. They had never seen anything so black.

I had it changed again at 180K miles when we did the 2nd timing belt.
So far so good... 5 Speed automatic Tranny
Cheerio,
Zale
Old 09-05-15, 09:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Just when you think it might be bad, the truth is told. Still no change necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1-blackstone-ws-atf-120k-miles.gif  

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1