IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:29 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting write up lob

cant wait to see what BS says about the fluid.
Old 08-24-15, 09:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by ihadboost
Yikes, this is scary. I have had shift hang but, only in sport mode. Maybe the TCU just needs a reset/relearn?
Resetting the TCU is no small feat and requires Techstream. I would only try this after setting the level correctly and ensuring everything mechanical is working correctly.
Old 08-24-15, 09:26 AM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Resetting the TCU is no small feat and requires Techstream. I would only try this after setting the level correctly and ensuring everything mechanical is working correctly.
At 54,500, I would hope everything is mechanically sound. Being that it sometimes shifts like this in sport mode, I was hoping it was a TCU reset. Guess it's time to take her into the dealer.
Old 08-24-15, 10:43 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
I am pretty curious in this as well. I noticed my F shifts slower below 4k rpm in sport and manual mode. I will wait for lobuxracer's results.
I've also noticed mine shifts slower at lower Rpm's but assumed the computer doesn't feel the need to throttle blip at low speeds (sub 40mph)?

What about this shift hang you guys are referring to? Is this like not shifting at redline while in auto mode? I've noticed in my FJ, is350, and now the F that in auto, the trans does not shift right away if going down hill or making really hard turns. By that I mean if I was at a certain throttle position on a flat, it would shift at 3K rpm but a downhill or hard corner it would shift at maybe 4K. I always assumed this was something programmed into the car not to shift in corners and or to help in downhill speed control.
Old 08-24-15, 11:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, I mean it hangs in gear long after the turn is complete and I've backed off the throttle. It refused to upshift, and I had to put it in manual mode to get it to stop hanging at 5k rpm.
Old 08-24-15, 11:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ihadboost
At 54,500, I would hope everything is mechanically sound. Being that it sometimes shifts like this in sport mode, I was hoping it was a TCU reset. Guess it's time to take her into the dealer.
I would check the fluid level first (and so will the dealer). Don't assume it's good. We had a member with a failed seal on one of the external sensors and it leaked out enough fluid to make it act up. At your mileage, it's a warranty repair no matter how you slice it.
Old 08-24-15, 12:05 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

So if after I've made the turn and it fails to shift and stays at 5k plus rpm or even after letting the throttle off, it safe to assume that fluid level is low? My car has just over 12K miles and I've experienced this maybe once or twice in Sport mode only so I assumed that it was normal. I always just let off the throttle. I wonder what it would do if I just keep the pedal floored. Will it just keep bouncing off the rev limiter?
I hardly drive the car hard in normal mode but I think I'll try that today and see what happens.
Old 08-24-15, 02:37 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
So if after I've made the turn and it fails to shift and stays at 5k plus rpm or even after letting the throttle off, it safe to assume that fluid level is low? My car has just over 12K miles and I've experienced this maybe once or twice in Sport mode only so I assumed that it was normal. I always just let off the throttle. I wonder what it would do if I just keep the pedal floored. Will it just keep bouncing off the rev limiter?
I hardly drive the car hard in normal mode but I think I'll try that today and see what happens.
I always assumed this was a Sport mode issue - it's supposed to hold gears longer and more aggressively.

Threads/posts like this make me neurotic about my car...
Old 08-24-15, 07:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
More than likely, yes.

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
I always assumed this was a Sport mode issue - it's supposed to hold gears longer and more aggressively.

Threads/posts like this make me neurotic about my car...
Yes, it is supposed to be more aggressive, but eventually, it should shift by itself. When it doesn't, the fluid level is low for sure.

Keep in mind, the method for setting the proper level is not a simple task. It should be, but it isn't. So getting it done right by a tech might be difficult or even impossible. If you live in Arizona, I really don't know how you would get the gearbox to 85 degrees or less at any time in the summer given that my car sat overnight (16 hours of cooling) and measured 79 degrees on the climate control and 89 degrees in the transmission before I ever started the engine. The temperature window is 95F to 104F. Not very easy to achieve in hot climates. It would be a million times easier if the range was 70C to 80C like the transmission in the wife's Scion tC.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-24-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:40 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Glad I got a brand new tranny sitting in my garage.
Old 08-26-15, 11:22 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Glad I got a brand new tranny sitting in my garage.
Did it come pre-filled with the correct amount of immaculate ATF?
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (06-07-18)
Old 08-26-15, 11:23 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My car still started (and still) shifts strangely from 1st to 2nd in M mode. Part of me hopes I can take it to the dealer and have them replace the fluid and it'll go away. It's kinda spoiling the fun of the car because now I'm apprehensive to push it.
Old 08-26-15, 05:21 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always questioned the shift hanging on hard acceleration turns. Thought it was a feature not to throw weight distribution off. Read other people's post long ago that it was tranny fluid level. Did mine at the dealer that I know would not care plus they would not have the correct temperature.

Hopefully it also helps with the cold start up flaring too.
Old 08-27-15, 06:59 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, it is supposed to be more aggressive, but eventually, it should shift by itself. When it doesn't, the fluid level is low for sure.
It does, though certainly exaggerated in how long it takes. No manual intervention needed...I will carry on as normal, I did buy the extended warranty after all.
Old 08-27-15, 08:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by clarionguy
I've always questioned the shift hanging on hard acceleration turns. Thought it was a feature not to throw weight distribution off. Read other people's post long ago that it was tranny fluid level. Did mine at the dealer that I know would not care plus they would not have the correct temperature.

Hopefully it also helps with the cold start up flaring too.
Cold start flare I had persistently for a very long time is completely gone. It was pretty cool this morning, and I pulled away from my downhill stop sign without any flare at all, where previously it did this every morning. I am convinced the oil level has been low for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1