IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 05:28 AM
M3EATR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V to the J, how much did it cost you to have your diff fluid changed?

I talked to the dealership and they looked at me like i was crazy for wanting to change the tranny fluid at 45k... they said its not recomended till 100k therefore I should not touch it.

I personally think they do not even know how to because its a pretty complicated process. It involves draining it bits by bit, circulating oil with "out with the old, in with the new" type method, then getting the levels right with temperatures being super sensitive.

The service advisor told me exact words: To be honest with you, our techs do not have a written procedure to change ATF in those transmissions and they simply do not know how to do it right...

With that being said.. i dont know who I should trust to at this point. Does anyone have an exact HOW TO on changing the tranny fluid??
Old 04-22-13, 07:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

No procedure exists because Lexus does not recommend it. Anyone saying it needs to be changed at 100k miles is pulling that out of their rear end. There is nothing from Lexus indicating the fluid should ever be changed, so there is absolutely nothing describing the process.
Old 04-22-13, 07:37 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't you think this is crazy though? To never change the oil?!?!?! I replaced my diff oil recently...yeah i know you can't go by color...but it was nasty...

I think in the future, we're going to see a slew of failed transmissions. People are going to think it's just "time to replace" it.
The following users liked this post:
Rocko9 (10-25-18)
Old 04-22-13, 07:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Diff oil is always nasty. It contains a lot of sulfur, so it's always pretty stinky, but the sulfur is the EP additive (extreme pressure) so if it doesn't smell bad something is very wrong. Yes, the color has nothing to do with the lubricity.

Crazy? No. It's a plan based on measured performance by Toyota and Aisin. Yes, some transmissions will fail, but very few will fail in warranty, and very few will fail before 200k miles. Changing the oil "might" make a difference and it might not. Without understanding how the gearbox is built and how it wears, it's impossible to know if changing the fluid will actually extend service life. If the clutches wear out at the same rate as the fluid degrades, changing the fluid will do nothing to extend service life and a lot to lighten you wallet for zero benefit.
Old 04-22-13, 08:14 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Diff oil is always nasty. It contains a lot of sulfur, so it's always pretty stinky, but the sulfur is the EP additive (extreme pressure) so if it doesn't smell bad something is very wrong. Yes, the color has nothing to do with the lubricity.

Crazy? No. It's a plan based on measured performance by Toyota and Aisin. Yes, some transmissions will fail, but very few will fail in warranty, and very few will fail before 200k miles. Changing the oil "might" make a difference and it might not. Without understanding how the gearbox is built and how it wears, it's impossible to know if changing the fluid will actually extend service life. If the clutches wear out at the same rate as the fluid degrades, changing the fluid will do nothing to extend service life and a lot to lighten you wallet for zero benefit.
With that said...Toyota will not care if it fails outside of warranty. I agree with the things you said though.
Old 04-22-13, 08:38 AM
joedr
Rookie

I see your point there!

However, I bought the car used and not certain what happened while the car was on previous owner's hands. What will be the advice here? Check for leaks and correct level?

Definately, I will drain the diff and replace the fluid.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Old 04-22-13, 09:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you are really worried about the gearbox, take a sample of the fluid and send it for analysis. I sent a 50cc sample of my fluid to Blackstone Laboratories and got a report on the condition of the fluid. They did not recommend changing, but did recommend continued monitoring (of course!). Just F Me did the same with fluid from his failed transmission, and it was definitely in bad shape. Odds are really good you'll find your fluid is in good shape and there is nothing to worry about.

And I still laugh at how people get their panties in a wad about changing transmission fluid, but refuse to have the valve lash inspected at 60,000 miles as Lexus states is required service. Burn a valve and see how cheap that is to fix!
Old 04-22-13, 09:53 AM
M3EATR
Rookie

I made an appointment at Lexus dealership for tomorrow to have my fluid inspected for condition, checked for leaks and topped off if necessary. I told them that I want everything to be documented and entered into the system because if my tranny fails as soon as my powertrain expires I want my concern for transmission to be documented. I will let you all know what they say, how it turns out by Wed 24th.
Old 05-01-13, 11:56 AM
M3EATR
Rookie

UPDATE: took my car to lexus dealer with converns of gears slipping when car is cold between 2-3 and 4-5 shifts... car had to stay over night for tranny temp to cool down so they could check the levels. In the morning they checked it and it was LOW... I had the dealer top it off with ATF and going to be picking up the car today. If the problem persits I will have the tranny flushed and fluid replaced by dealer under warranty. Will keep you guys updated!!
Old 05-01-13, 12:01 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the late response, but my diff fluid change was included in my 30k service, so I am not sure how much it costs. I know that the technician who worked on my car also owns an F. Obviously that doesn't mean he knows everything, but I would much rather trust a dealership I have rapport with and have someone who works on my F have an F... rather than someone who works on regular IS/GS/LS.

M3eatr if I'm not mistaken this should be covered under powertrain warranty correct? My factory warranty JUST ran out yesterday.
Old 05-01-13, 12:13 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VtotheJ

M3eatr if I'm not mistaken this should be covered under powertrain warranty correct? My factory warranty JUST ran out yesterday.
good luck (O.O)
Old 05-01-13, 12:36 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Don't you think this is crazy though? To never change the oil?!?!?! I replaced my diff oil recently...yeah i know you can't go by color...but it was nasty...

I think in the future, we're going to see a slew of failed transmissions. People are going to think it's just "time to replace" it.
The appearance is really not a good indicator. This is actually not bad looking. All gear oil smells like ****.
Old 05-01-13, 03:44 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Hence why i said you can't go by color
Old 05-01-13, 03:46 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M3EATR
UPDATE: took my car to lexus dealer with converns of gears slipping when car is cold between 2-3 and 4-5 shifts... car had to stay over night for tranny temp to cool down so they could check the levels. In the morning they checked it and it was LOW... I had the dealer top it off with ATF and going to be picking up the car today. If the problem persits I will have the tranny flushed and fluid replaced by dealer under warranty. Will keep you guys updated!!
What is your current mileage? I am also curious what MD Lexus dealer is helping you out.
Old 05-03-13, 10:26 AM
M3EATR
Rookie

I got 42k on my car, once the levels have been topped off, tech said he used almost 1/2 quart to get it back to normal levels.... its Len Stoller Lexus in MD

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions