IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Old 06-04-18, 10:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I posted a video of the process where the fluid can be checked when hot.
OK, but that doesn't meet the factory's requirements. There are lots of things I can do that don't meet factory requirements, but this is one I wouldn't think about short cutting only because I know what happens when the transmission is as little as 4 ounces short.

Video clearly states: This episode demonstrates the proper method and tool needed to check the automatic transaxle fluid level of a 2007 and newer Aisin U660E/F or U760E/F 6-speed automatic transaxle. Not AA80E.

Just watching the video - none of this is documented for the AA80E in TIS. There is no removable tube in the oil pan on the AA80E, we have separate drain and level check ports on our oil pan. I get why this is available for these Toyotas as they are the most common Toyota platforms on the road, but our gearboxes are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things, and have nothing documented for a hot fluid level check.

Yep. Just finished watching the video. Not even a small chance this works for our gearboxes.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-04-18 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 08:25 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK, but that doesn't meet the factory's requirements. There are lots of things I can do that don't meet factory requirements, but this is one I wouldn't think about short cutting only because I know what happens when the transmission is as little as 4 ounces short.

Video clearly states: This episode demonstrates the proper method and tool needed to check the automatic transaxle fluid level of a 2007 and newer Aisin U660E/F or U760E/F 6-speed automatic transaxle. Not AA80E.

Just watching the video - none of this is documented for the AA80E in TIS. There is no removable tube in the oil pan on the AA80E, we have separate drain and level check ports on our oil pan. I get why this is available for these Toyotas as they are the most common Toyota platforms on the road, but our gearboxes are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things, and have nothing documented for a hot fluid level check.

Yep. Just finished watching the video. Not even a small chance this works for our gearboxes.
Thank you for the info, I haven't taken off the splash guard to actually see the pan so I trust what you're saying.
Old 06-07-18, 09:03 AM
vertex16
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

He has no idea what he's talking about. The transmission has to be pretty cold to do the level setting procedure. It takes at least 12 hours to sufficiently cool. AMHIK.
Thank you for confirming First time dealing with a “sealed” transmission but I figured what he was saying didn’t sound right to me lol.
Old 07-11-18, 02:04 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I went ahead and drained the pan, replaced the filter, replaced the gasket, cleaned pan and magnets and put in 6 quarts of ATF and then set the level using the car ATF temperature mode.

I have no idea if its in my head, but the car seems to be accelerating quicker and seems to have more power.

It doesn't lag when downshifting now and when I take my daily trip in a round about, coming out of the round about on power the car doesn't hesitate like it used to.

I did not measure the quantity of fluid that came out, but the stuff that came out was dark like slightly used motor oil. (2008 - 66k miles)

When I set the level, it appears that about .5 Quarts came out before it began trickling.

I also flushed the brake system while it was up on jackstands...the 3 year old fluid was the color of morning urine...yuck.

I also noticed the differential bushings were starting to look a bit worn, will have to keep an eye on that in the future.

Thank you to all who posted in this thread!!
Old 07-13-18, 03:55 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I went ahead and drained the pan, replaced the filter, replaced the gasket, cleaned pan and magnets and put in 6 quarts of ATF and then set the level using the car ATF temperature mode.

I have no idea if its in my head, but the car seems to be accelerating quicker and seems to have more power.

It doesn't lag when downshifting now and when I take my daily trip in a round about, coming out of the round about on power the car doesn't hesitate like it used to.

I did not measure the quantity of fluid that came out, but the stuff that came out was dark like slightly used motor oil. (2008 - 66k miles)

When I set the level, it appears that about .5 Quarts came out before it began trickling.

I also flushed the brake system while it was up on jackstands...the 3 year old fluid was the color of morning urine...yuck.

I also noticed the differential bushings were starting to look a bit worn, will have to keep an eye on that in the future.

Thank you to all who posted in this thread!!
Did you use the Toyota sealant on the pan? Also did you buy the fluid from the dealer?
Old 07-13-18, 06:17 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Did you use the Toyota sealant on the pan? Also did you buy the fluid from the dealer?

No, I did not use any sealant, it is a rubber type gasket, not a cork or other type of gasket like older cars.

The factory pan gasket did not have any sealant on it either when I removed it.

I did buy the ATF through a Lexus Dealer.
Old 07-13-18, 09:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No sealant needed. The gasket is really thick and has metal collars where the bolts go through so you can't make the gasket extrude from overtightening. Sounds like 6 quarts is the magic number too. I put close to that in mine and figured I was about 5.5 quarts with the pan drop and filter change. I wish I could say mine drove differently, but it doesn't.

AFA fluid - I am planning to try Valvoline Max Life on my next oil drop. It claims to be fully compatible with Aisin WS, and it's available at Wal-Mart for a decent price. I originally bought a case of WS from the local Toyota dealer for $110 (case price), but it is nearly gone, and I have no reason to believe the Valvoline fluid will cause problems.
Old 09-25-18, 02:08 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

No sealant needed. The gasket is really thick and has metal collars where the bolts go through so you can't make the gasket extrude from overtightening. Sounds like 6 quarts is the magic number too. I put close to that in mine and figured I was about 5.5 quarts with the pan drop and filter change. I wish I could say mine drove differently, but it doesn't.

AFA fluid - I am planning to try Valvoline Max Life on my next oil drop. It claims to be fully compatible with Aisin WS, and it's available at Wal-Mart for a decent price. I originally bought a case of WS from the local Toyota dealer for $110 (case price), but it is nearly gone, and I have no reason to believe the Valvoline fluid will cause problems.

After reading through, I might give it a try. I've been looking to see if anyone finally chanced to use a Non- OEM ATF fluid, I know my friend Jason has used Redline D4 I believe in his transmission ( Replaced 8 qts) and it worked fine. Let me know how it goes, I was going to plan to use the same stuff you are using.
Old 09-26-18, 11:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I had a bad experience with D-4 in my Supra. I wouldn't run it again unless I had a really compelling reason. Too much seal swell in it for my taste.
Old 09-26-18, 11:36 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a bad experience with D-4 in my Supra. I wouldn't run it again unless I had a really compelling reason. Too much seal swell in it for my taste.

Looks like I'll be facing away from that... Currently at 60,000 think flushing the pan oftem would be okay? 🤔 Shop quoting me on flush rn
Old 09-28-18, 01:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I didn't do mine until nearly 150k miles.
Old 09-30-18, 05:52 PM
TheCap
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would an OBD2 scanner reading of the transmission fluid temp like below work instead of using the running through the gears method?

Old 10-01-18, 12:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Probably, but you still need to row through the gears to actuate all the solenoids. You just won't be depending on the flashing P sign.
Old 10-04-18, 02:13 PM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is the analysis for my 2008 ISF. This is the first sample that was taken. I had the dealer (Lexus of Cool Springs - Tennessee) go ahead and drop the pan, replace the screen, gasket, and the fluid that was lost during the process. They set the level and were very very good about everything. The total cost was about $400. My car does shift noticeably better now that the level is set, to concur with the others who have undergone the level setting procedure.
Old 02-26-19, 04:05 PM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my pan dropped filter changed and refill 4 quarts yesterday at 58000 miles at a shop that performs some of my maintenance. I was under the impression they’d change all or most of the 11 quarts.

So I called Lexus and they can flush and drain all 11.

I know many many don’t even feel changing it this soon is necessary. None the less, does anyone know if this flush is the real deal? That is, will they change all 11 quarts.

Imo it’s good maintenance if their descripton is accurate.

Thanks for any opinions

Last edited by Greatest; 02-28-19 at 12:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions