IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Took the F for a cruise, I am an awesome son.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 09:45 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Took the F for a cruise, I am an awesome son.

So, today was a rare day where the streets weren't wet here in Chicago. Went for a cruise with the pops. It's been almost 2 weeks since I last drove the F.

First impression was... I was sitting in my garage working on stuff and I hear this awesome sounding V8 coming down the street and it was my Dad in my F bringing it home from his parking spot in his condo (they live about 10 miles away and he has indoor heated condo parking). Man, I miss that sound! We checked the air pressures and he was worried because he thought maybe he got my tires flat or something. We simply forgot to change the setting to summer vs. winter on the car's tpms menu.

Started the cruise and the first thing I noticed was how alien it felt after 2 weeks in the Turbo S. Car felt really high despite it being lowered by a whole inch. Steering felt light in comparison too. Seats aren't as bolstered and after 5 years, they're shiny so I slide around in it a little. Hit the gas and went sideways! Man, I miss going sideways! LOL This is why people probably like the BRZ FRS so much. Easy to go sideways and not so scary. It's still a little exciting on the F but I dare not go sideways with the S (yet).

I miss the 5.0 V8 sound. The pop pop pop between shifts too! It's an awesome car. I'm so glad I kept it and of course my 70 year old dad is so happy he gets to keep a key and in his condo so he can drive it around with my mom. LOL. He actually just gave away his S500 to my uncle because his DD is a CRV but he said he's going to borrow my F when hangs out with his buddies!!! LOL, coolest 70 year old driving one of the fastest all motor F's in the world. I told him he better not crash it or else he'll owe me 40K!!!

So, he's got a good deal... I pay for everything including ins, registration and he drives it on occasion and gasses it up. I also told our car wash guy to let my dad get the car washed free (hand wash only as always) and to give him only ONE Modelo everytime he shows up. I get three, but he gets only one. It's 40$/wash+beer for me but at least I know he's not going to take it to a machine wash place and ruin my paint. Plus one beer isn't going to make him drive funny.

After the cruise, my dad slowly drove away. The headers and Borla really does sound awesome. I rarely got to hear it because I was always in the driver's seat.

I'm an awesome son...
Old 03-17-13, 10:00 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is why you should have a son instead of a daughter ahha JK.
Old 03-17-13, 10:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Great story, OP! Pops is 70 and still enjoying the thrills of driving. Awesome sons definitely come from awesome dads.

There are some women who are into high performance cars. I think that's cooler than having a son interested in them.
Old 03-18-13, 04:20 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol awesome
Old 03-18-13, 04:50 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Everything comes full circle. I'm sure there was a time he let you drive his cars free of charge too. Of course none were as cool as the F, but still! My dad isn't really in to cars, so while he likes my car, he really doesn't know what it is. My daughters think daddy has a fast car though, haha.
Old 03-18-13, 05:02 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

You are an awesome son...LOL. My Dad has been in my IS F maybe half a dozen times in the past 4.5 years that I've owned the car. I wouldn't trust him to drive it if his own car broke down. I'd just pay to get him a rental or whatever else so that he doesn't have to drive my car. If you saw all the door dings he has on his car, you'd understand.
Old 03-18-13, 05:05 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
My daughters think daddy has a fast car though, haha.
After I read this...even though I don't have kids, I just CRINGE at the thought of one day if I do have kids and my kids say "My daddy drives a minivan"

OMG.

Imagine your kids are at school and they have to share something exciting that happens at home...

"Mommy yelled at Daddy because he went out and bought a Turbo S...I don't know what it is but I hear it's really fast"
Old 03-18-13, 05:52 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two daughters as well..and they told me, one thing they like about me, is I always have cool cars. Lol also their always telling me to go faster..wtf
Old 03-18-13, 05:55 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sello
I have two daughters as well..and they told me, one thing they like about me, is I always have cool cars. Lol also their always telling me to go faster..wtf
haha so cool. But it means you will have to fork over more money to get them their first cars because they want something cool and not lame!
Old 03-18-13, 06:45 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Cool story! I'm sure when you are 70 you'll still love cars too. How does your Mom like it?
Old 03-18-13, 10:21 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol nice story. I let my dad drive the F once with me sitting shotty.. and he likes the accelerating onto the highway after getting off the ramps....something his 08 Honda Fit doesn't do.....lol. My mom thinks the car is extremely comfortable on trips, but hates when I speed with her in the car.
Old 03-18-13, 10:25 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Good story and fun read! What was your other car? (turbo s)
Old 03-18-13, 03:08 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

Nice story. I'd let my Pop drive my F BUT i'd have to be as a passenger. He can accidentally press gas not knowing how quickly it picks up. Most of my family from great lakes area. i don't think i would drive my F during winter/spring weather. Maybe i'm not experience enough
Old 03-18-13, 05:40 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom doesn't really dig the PPE and Borla - she asked, "why is the car so loud?" I just said that sports cars are supposed to be loud.

Kids are fun. There was a time just a couple of years ago... while my wife was shopping at babies R us, we were doing donuts in the Honda Odyssey minivan with the three kids in the car. Kind of tricky because of the ER brake was a left foot way up high - but doable. LOL Kids loved it.

My son immediately noticed the difference in the sounds of the car. He says the sports car sounds like there are two jet engines in the back of the car and I told him the turbo is like a giant blower/shop vac that pushes air into the engine. Normally it would only be about 300 horsepower but with those giant blowers, it's over 500. He actually gets it and he's only 8!

Boys are cool... but Daughters love their daddies. I'm gonna get my daughter (in 12 years) an old used Boxster and we're going to paint it pink... maybe. If she's still sweet to me.

You know, life is short. I do notice my dad's friends dropping like flies left and right. Why not let the folks cruise around in my car? Like I said, he's got his shades on and driving around like a Boss. LOL he's feeling pretty good and perhaps one day, my kids will return the favor.