IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 11:00 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

damn, wash every other day? that's not good for the car. your car would get swirled up so fast no matter how good you are at washing properly. one time per week is enough up keep. too much of anything is never that good usually.
Old 03-04-13, 04:48 AM
JasonH42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 + F = accident waiting to happen. Why not work your way up starting with lower powered cars?
Enjoy the progression.

In the UK nobody would insure you to drive an F at that age; recently my insurer momentarily, and quite erroneously, thought I wanted to insure mine for my 26 year old stepson - and refused.
Old 03-04-13, 07:48 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad to hear such positive responses for Snow. I also echo the sentiments of others. Find a stable job that pays way more than what you are making now, and heck you may even be able to pay cash for the 08 ISF. And do something you love. Don't just do it for the money.

When I was 23 shopping for a high-end car I looked at the Cayman S and joined Rennlist forums to ask for advice. They were extremely negative because I mentioned my age, and assumed I couldn't afford to maintain a Porsche. On the contrary, ISF owners will tell you how it is. It is doable.....IMO it's more fun to enjoy a car like this in your youth.....especially before starting a family.
Old 03-04-13, 02:07 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read through all this, but by my calculations, you might think twice. If you have $1900 per month to play with, figure $900 a month on the car borrowing $25k for 60 months at 6% interest (being generous)= $530 per month (I wouldn't do this, but just getting you the lowest monthly payment possible). Tack on $150 per month for insurance (per you quote) and $200 in fuel = $880. Now you only have $250 per week for spending money and we haven't even got to maintenance costs such as tires, oil, brake, etc. What are groceries, eating out, clothes, dates, loan payments will be coming, etc... And these are just everyday needs. You won't be able to just buy something when you want it.

I never bought a car until after I graduated college and it cost $5k. Was a BMW 328is. My rent was $500/month plus bills and I was barely making it on my own. Just don't stretch yourself out too early in life. I'm 35 now and have owned a lot of car others would dream of. Your time is coming...just don't rush things.

Just my friendly advice, but good luck and I hope you can find a way!
Old 03-04-13, 04:59 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

finish school, get a good job and buy your used IS F. Keep your car you have for now.
Old 03-04-13, 05:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Now my main question is, do guys feel a 20 year old college student should be driving an ISF?
I was 20 when I bought my IS350 brand new. 2nd day of owning her I almost crashed going 120, if it wasn't for the stability control it would have been a total loss plus more perhaps. Oddly enoughy I'm an extremely responsible person, was in college, steady job, yada yada good kid. Five years later I baby the car, but I would never consider giving someone even with just a few years of driving a car of that caliber. And that's just a 350. I can't imagine getting an F at 20.

Finish college, get a good job, and then worry about getting that F. By then the 2011+ will be more affordable anyway
Old 03-04-13, 11:15 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
My rule of thumb (for a young 20s buyer) is if you can't afford to buy it outright with cash on the spot, you can't afford to lease it.

And as for whether or not you can afford to buy a car outright - you can afford to buy a car outright if, after you've written a check for the car, you still have about a year's worth of living expenses in your checking account and/or in stocks, not including retirement accounts.

So if the car you're looking at costs $35k, you need to have $35k + 12*(monthly living expenses) in your bank account and/or investments.

If you can afford it, go for it.
. I didn't really have a choice because the current house mortgage is pretty high and my mom recently quit working because she's too old now and plus she receives SSI now. I had no choice but to get a job and help out the family and that meant even if I was going to school full time. My parents ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS told me when I was younger that I was not going to be allowed to work part time or at all until I get out of school. School first, school on top, school above everything. However that completely changed as soon as bills started piling up and we were barely making ends meet. Now I got a decent job while going to school and we're doing pretty well with my income + my brother's and my parents SSI. I'm planning to do programming because computer and technologies just amazes me in general which was why I got the T-Mobile job easily. It was already in my nature.

So aside from that, I'm going to take advice from both of the sides. I'm going to focus on school and ride out a bit longer with my '99 Accord. However, while going to school and paying bills. I'm going to cut back on going out on dates with my girl and more time saving money. I'm going to start bringing food to work versus eating out at work everyday. That way I can potentially save up to at least 20k before I even think twice about buying an ISF. I'm planning to buy it sometime later next year if everything goes as plan. That way the 2008 ISF will not only be a year older but also a generation older because of the new release of the 2nd Generation 2014 ISF which means a substantial price drop. By then I would hopefully have 20k saved up and buying a 35k-ish car by then should be no problems at all. I'm a very patient person I told myself in the beginning of January last year that I would buy an IS350 this year but looks like I'm going to wait another year for the "F".

You guys might think I'm jumping the gun on here by wanting to purchase an ISF however I think I'm just right on task. Unlike other kids who are my age; I do not have a car of my own (my current '99 Accord is being shared between my dad and I, I go to school 2 days a week and goes to work 5 days a week). Other kids in college currently have a decent to nice car. I never had the privilege of having that decent to nice car as a graduation gift from my parents. The reason was we were not well off and that was due to the house. Now everything's better but I'm still riding in that good old reliable '99 Accord. So instead of going from '99 Accord -> Decent ~20k-25k car -> ISF. I would just drive my '99 Accord and skip the "Decent ~20k-25k car" phase and jump directly to an ISF with the money I saved that I could have potentially purchased a ~20k-25k car.

Now you guys are probably wondering, WHY the ISF? Well, that's easy. First off, I'm picky so the head, tail and side profiles have to be good looking. The car has to be reliable (this is where I hate BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes). The car has to be fast and it has to be a 4 door sedan. This is why this car is THE perfect car for me aside from the IS350. Try finding a 4 door FAST good looking reliable luxurious car. Also, I HATE coupes. You guys probably think I'm crazy because everyone around my age LOVES coupes. Here's the reason why I hate it, my mom doesn't know how to drive so I occasionally drive her around. Sometimes I have to drive my parents to the doctor, supermarket etc. I can't have old people being squeezed in the back of a coupe. And also I guess I just like the idea of being able to carry more than 2 passengers in a car that way when I go out with friends we can all carpool or whatever rather than driving 5 different cars.

ANYWAYS, today I was really wanting to drive an ISF so I headed down to Lexus of Chandler and drove around the lot. I asked the guy who worked there if they had ISF's in stock. He replied "No, I've worked here for 2 years and I've never seen an ISF on this lot; your best bet is to go to California". So that was a let down but I guess that will discourage me a bit from obsessing over the car. Because if I want something, it will always be on my mind and I will always find a way for it to be in my hands. Whether it be a laptop, smartphone, or car. I also wanted to test drive an IS250 then IS350 then ISF to see all the major "day and night" differences that you guys speak of because I honestly never driven any of the Lexus(es) that I want. The only Lexus I have ever driven is my half-brother's 2011 ES350.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-05-13 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Removed deleted quoted post
Old 03-05-13, 12:02 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow
Thanks Just F Me for the compliment haha. I didn't really have a choice because the current house mortgage is pretty high and my mom recently quit working because she's too old now and plus she receives SSI now. I had no choice but to get a job and help out the family and that meant even if I was going to school full time. My parents ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS told me when I was younger that I was not going to be allowed to work part time or at all until I get out of school. School first, school on top, school above everything. However that completely changed as soon as bills started piling up and we were barely making ends meet. Now I got a decent job while going to school and we're doing pretty well with my income + my brother's and my parents SSI. I'm planning to do programming because computer and technologies just amazes me in general which was why I got the T-Mobile job easily. It was already in my nature.
You don't happen be asian are you? Honestly, in my opinion, all this "school only" talk is actually a bad idea. What happens is you graduate school with a degree, but you have no REAL WORLD people skills where you're dealing with people that aren't your friends. You also don't know how to deal with real world situations. You don't know what it's like to WORK in a team environment (outside of playing sports). There's so much that you can learn...even if you had a job working at McDonalds, if you took it seriously, there's a ton of stuff to learn.

I'm VERY against school only. I've had friends that had to go through that and now they have masters degrees with no jobs because there's people out there with 4 year degrees that have a ton more work experience and people skills. Even basic things like how to write an email properly....don't take those things for granted.

Looks like you're making a good decision on waiting till next year...PM me next year...I'll sell you my IS F for a good deal when I get my Porsche...lol.
Old 03-05-13, 12:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

everyone please stay on topic and take everything personal to private message
Old 03-05-13, 06:20 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just do it, yolo..

countrys going to **** anyways. couple years well be at a civil war so get it while u can
Old 03-05-13, 07:27 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are not jumping the gun AT ALL. Don't ever think you're too young to purchase a fast car. If the funds are there and you've done the number crunching to see if you can afford the car, do it. You will be careful because it's your money that's at stake. That's why I have no respect for the kids whose parents help them with car payments.

Like you, I skipped the "decent 20K car". I went from a 98 Integra to an ISF...took me a while to get used to the power jump (280 more hp). I kept my Integra, now 15 years old, because it's more reliable than most 5-year old German cars.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 03-05-13 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-05-13, 09:57 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
You are not jumping the gun AT ALL. Don't ever think you're too young to purchase a fast car. If the funds are there and you've done the number crunching to see if you can afford the car, do it. You will be careful because it's your money that's at stake. That's why I have no respect for the kids whose parents help them with car payments.

Like you, I skipped the "decent 20K car". I went from a 98 Integra to an ISF...took me a while to get used to the power jump (280 more hp). I kept my Integra, now 15 years old, because it's more reliable than most 5-year old German cars.
Nice! At what age did you purchase your ISF and how much was it? Also how much did you down?
Old 03-05-13, 10:17 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i'm not going to get into your whole financial situation aspect of this but will share w/ you a little story that became famous on the g35driver forum a few years ago. yes, the F isn't the end all be all super fast car but i think you need to consider your driving experience before you get into a 400+ hp vehicle. unless you're a swede who has been driving since the age of 14 on road courses and tracks, you learn a lot over the years of driving in different types of cars, in bad weather, under near accident misses on the highway, etc., etc. yes, a lot of younger people can handle and drive powerful cars quite well. but you need to assess your own driving experience.

so, this 19 yr old kid comes on the forum saying how he just got his used g35 and asking what the best way to drift his ride was. everyone told him, 'do not turn off the trac control' and take it to the track. well, w/in a few days, he went toyko drift style into a bus bench on santa monica blvd. one rainy night, trac control off. of course he got clowned by everyone. not saying you're like this guy in any way shape or form, but please, if you do get the F, make sure you learn how to drive a rear wheel drive car that will have twice the power of your current accord. good luck w/ your decision.
Old 03-05-13, 01:38 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cremaster
i'm not going to get into your whole financial situation aspect of this but will share w/ you a little story that became famous on the g35driver forum a few years ago. yes, the F isn't the end all be all super fast car but i think you need to consider your driving experience before you get into a 400+ hp vehicle. unless you're a swede who has been driving since the age of 14 on road courses and tracks, you learn a lot over the years of driving in different types of cars, in bad weather, under near accident misses on the highway, etc., etc. yes, a lot of younger people can handle and drive powerful cars quite well. but you need to assess your own driving experience.

so, this 19 yr old kid comes on the forum saying how he just got his used g35 and asking what the best way to drift his ride was. everyone told him, 'do not turn off the trac control' and take it to the track. well, w/in a few days, he went toyko drift style into a bus bench on santa monica blvd. one rainy night, trac control off. of course he got clowned by everyone. not saying you're like this guy in any way shape or form, but please, if you do get the F, make sure you learn how to drive a rear wheel drive car that will have twice the power of your current accord. good luck w/ your decision.
Yeah, no. That's not me. I want the "F" because of its immaculate beauty, power, reliablity, and 4 door. I'm actually more worried about the "F" in terms of a financial stand point of view. Going "Tokyo drift" is the least of my worries. Granted I won't say I've been driving for a long time. It's been 3 years since I got my driver's license and I've gotten zero tickets and accidents. I am a responsible young man so again I'm not worried about that portion of the car. However thanks for giving me a heads up though, much appreciated.
Old 05-14-17, 09:33 AM
spacexmase
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey OP,

Any updates on your journey with the IS-F?

I'm about to embark on mine this coming week with an '09. I read through this entire thread which I found helpful for making my decision.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?