IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 12:10 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Franch1se
What school is that? If it was an MM at ECPI last year it was me. Took a few certs.
JMU, a lot of New Jersey kids with nice cars but the F here is from VA.
Old 03-03-13, 12:49 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
$10k down payment is not enough. Your monthly payments will be insane. No harm in waiting and putting down more so your monthly payments are less. Better to do 24/36/48 month loan since you'll also be paying less interest in the long run.
10k down on a 35k car is not enough? that's almost 30%.... Insane monthly payments? LOL....I was paying almost little under 1400 a month for 4 years on my IS F with 0 money down....100% finance. Go America...LOL..

To the OP, your car should cost no more than 25% of your total income after all your bills are paid. However, I broke this rule. All depends on how comfortable you are financially. Some people here you're going to get other opinions because they may have a wife/kids/other more important responsibilities, however, if you're single, make enough to cover it....do what you want...it's your money.

If you end up having to sell the car because you can't afford it...no big deal. That's life...learn from it.
Old 03-03-13, 12:52 PM
MerlotISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 24 and I drive a 2013 Camry SE 4 cylinder, I'm going to be picking up a used 2010 ISF with 41k miles here in late April, with you being 20 and in college, I would consider a new Camry SE v6. It is a very quick car, I actually got a 2007 Camry SE v6 as a high school graduation gift. I loved the power, too, but as it started to get some age, I thought it was time for something different. So I ended up getting my current Camry, I thought the 4 cylinder was going to be more than enough, but I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, it moves for 4 cylinder, now I am kicking myself for not getting the v6, but I have been working SO much overtime, I finally decided I wanted the ISF. But I would consider a Camry SE v6 if I were you! Just my opinion, Good Luck!
Old 03-03-13, 12:56 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MerlotISF
I'm 24 and I drive a 2013 Camry SE 4 cylinder, I'm going to be picking up a used 2010 ISF with 41k miles here in late April, with you being 20 and in college, I would consider a new Camry SE v6. It is a very quick car, I actually got a 2007 Camry SE v6 as a high school graduation gift. I loved the power, too, but as it started to get some age, I thought it was time for something different. So I ended up getting my current Camry, I thought the 4 cylinder was going to be more than enough, but I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, it moves for 4 cylinder, now I am kicking myself for not getting the v6, but I have been working SO much overtime, I finally decided I wanted the ISF. But I would consider a Camry SE v6 if I were you! Just my opinion, Good Luck!
WTF...we're talking about an IS F and you bring in a Camry V6? LOL
Old 03-03-13, 01:07 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
10k down on a 35k car is not enough? that's almost 30%.... Insane monthly payments? LOL....I was paying almost little under 1400 a month for 4 years on my IS F with 0 money down....100% finance. Go America...LOL..

To the OP, your car should cost no more than 25% of your total income after all your bills are paid. However, I broke this rule. All depends on how comfortable you are financially. Some people here you're going to get other opinions because they may have a wife/kids/other more important responsibilities, however, if you're single, make enough to cover it....do what you want...it's your money.

If you end up having to sell the car because you can't afford it...no big deal. That's life...learn from it.
Oh he's not wrong. I didn't add that I was wanting to buy an 2008 ISF vs. a brand new one in the original post. He was probably going by the MRSP of a new 2013 ISF which of course 10k is not enough. However I do believe 10k down payment is enough for a 35k SPF ISF (45k-50k Mileage).

Haha, as much as my parents love the Camry. I personally do not just because of the form factor. If I was buying just a regular sedan I would probably go for the new 2013 Accord just because they upped their design for a regular sedan.
Old 03-03-13, 01:07 PM
MerlotISF
Rookie

Lol... what I'm saying is that, the ISF will probably kill him with the insurance and no the Camry isn't a sports car, but I would hate to buy a used car with no warranty when I could buy a $32k Camry and save money on insurance and gas. Lol, if you do choose the F, make sure you buy an extended warranty, even though its a Lexus and will never have problems, you never know. That's what I'm doing with my 2010 F!
Old 03-03-13, 01:12 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Lol... what I'm saying is that, the ISF will probably kill him with the insurance and no the Camry isn't a sports car, but I would hate to buy a used car with no warranty when I could buy a $32k Camry and save money on insurance and gas. Lol, if you do choose the F, make sure you buy an extended warranty, even though its a Lexus and will never have problems, you never know. That's what I'm doing with my 2010 F!
He said he got a quote for insurance and it's $1800 a year...that's not bad considering he's 20.

If you're trying to be rational about insurance, gas, and cost of the car, then why are you buying a IS F? You know EVERYTHING about the IS F is over the top. You don't need anything like this at all. With your mentality, we should all be driving Toyota Certified Pre-Owned Toyota Corollas...bullet proof cars.

It's a Lexus and will never have problems?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-reverse.html

Read up buddy Mr 10 posts making comments like that Remember... ISH HAPPENS IN LIFE!

SNOW: Go buy the car...you might not be around to experience the car tomorrow. With that said...I'm leaving to the Porsche dealership to sell my 2008 IS F and get a 2010 Porsche GT3 RS. YOLO!

Last edited by Just F Me; 03-03-13 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 01:14 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
JMU, a lot of New Jersey kids with nice cars but the F here is from VA.
Go Dukes! Got JMU plates on my F right now (I graduated from there well... let's just say over 10 years ago).
Old 03-03-13, 01:21 PM
MerlotISF
Rookie

He said he got a quote for insurance and it's $1800 a year...that's not bad considering he's 20.

It's a Lexus and will never have problems?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-reverse.html

Read up buddy Mr 10 posts making comments like that Remember... ISH HAPPENS IN LIFE!
My parents own ALLLLLLL Lexus, my parents bought me a 1998 ES300 in 2004 and I never had ANY problems. My dad drives an 08 ISF and a new 2013 LX. My mom drives a 2012 LS460... buddy I think I know. My parents get ALL fluids changed every 5k and tires every 20k... Their vehicles get washed every other day waxed every month. Their vehicles never touch gravel. Take care of your car. If your car has problems, then you don't deserve to be a Lexus customer.
Old 03-03-13, 02:15 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

My parents own ALLLLLLL Lexus, my parents bought me a 1998 ES300 in 2004 and I never had ANY problems. My dad drives an 08 ISF and a new 2013 LX. My mom drives a 2012 LS460... buddy I think I know. My parents get ALL fluids changed every 5k and tires every 20k... Their vehicles get washed every other day waxed every month. Their vehicles never touch gravel. Take care of your car. If your car has problems, then you don't deserve to be a Lexus customer.
So if a Lexus ever has a problem, it is owner error and that owner doesn't deserve the car? Don't be ignorant.
Old 03-03-13, 02:25 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one has brought up the most important thing, will the OP have enough $$ leftover to take out the ladies? No sense driving an F if ur putting $6 in gas in it to top it off before hitting the drive thru with a date to browse the extra value menu
Old 03-03-13, 02:28 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeez relax kid. He mentioned the price AFTER my post...
Old 03-03-13, 02:32 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Jeez relax kid. He mentioned the price AFTER my post...
My apologizes ...I didn't read the whole thread. The OP did mention it later.
Old 03-03-13, 02:35 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

My rule of thumb (for a young 20s buyer) is if you can't afford to buy it outright with cash on the spot, you can't afford to lease it.

And as for whether or not you can afford to buy a car outright - you can afford to buy a car outright if, after you've written a check for the car, you still have about a year's worth of living expenses in your checking account and/or in stocks, not including retirement accounts.

So if the car you're looking at costs $35k, you need to have $35k + 12*(monthly living expenses) in your bank account and/or investments.

If you can afford it, go for it.
Old 03-03-13, 02:41 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

There's income information for certain Lexus buyers. The median income for RX400h owners, for example, is a shade over $200,000/year. The median income for LS600hL owners is a bit over $400,000/year.

The ISF costs more than an RX400h. I only bring this up to emphasize the fact that owning a $60k vehicle (well, $35k if you're getting it used) is not to be taken lightly. This is a car for the well off.

If you make like $12,000/year as a college student and you're living paycheck to paycheck, I'd strongly suggest looking at a different car.

Quick Reply: Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?