IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Toms ISF kit... should a clear coat be added?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 06:12 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Toms ISF kit... should a clear coat be added?

Just curious if anyone knows if the toms aero kit has a gel coat or clear coat. Has anyone added another layer of clear for protection? If so does the original layer needed to be sanded before a clear is added?
Old 02-24-13, 06:16 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

i was researching toms kit straight from japan and the japanese vendors say a clear coat is not applied. but buying the kit from stateside vendors....its clear coated.. weird... but i put a clear bra on my toms front lip for extra protection
Old 02-24-13, 06:19 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe its gel coat. My rear toms diffuser was smashed not to long along from a rear end accident and the clear didn't flake off like paint normally would.. Also from my experience in the past of re clearing CF, i always scuff the surface with high grit sand paper prior to adding another layer of clear. This is to insure that it stick well.
Old 02-24-13, 07:53 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by obby
i believe its gel coat. My rear toms diffuser was smashed not to long along from a rear end accident and the clear didn't flake off like paint normally would.. Also from my experience in the past of re clearing CF, i always scuff the surface with high grit sand paper prior to adding another layer of clear. This is to insure that it stick well.
yep, this is the proper way when a body shop does it. after shooting a clear on the scuffed surface, you you wont see those scuff marks you made for those of you who are not familiar with that.
Old 02-24-13, 11:32 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by amgone75
i was researching toms kit straight from japan and the japanese vendors say a clear coat is not applied. but buying the kit from stateside vendors....its clear coated.. weird... but i put a clear bra on my toms front lip for extra protection
David, did you mean an actual clear bra as in film to protect the Toms, or just a clear coat? I'm discussing with my shop to see if I really need a clear bra on a CF piece. From what I have heard, CF pieces from Japan do not come clear coated, but rather a gel coat installed. It can't hurt to put an extra layer of clear coat to further reduce yellowing.
Old 02-24-13, 11:37 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

its an actual clear bra film ... i wish i put a clear bra on my cf fog covers...my current ones are destroyed from road debris....but i have new ones on the way
Old 02-25-13, 05:12 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

On 3k toms kit I'm trying to go the extra mile to protect it. I'm leaning on clear coating all the pieces to protect from the UV then clear bra on the front and side pieces. Putting on just a clear bra doesn't have any UV protection. Why does all the ****** cost so much. I need another hobby : )
Old 02-25-13, 11:47 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amgone75
its an actual clear bra film ... i wish i put a clear bra on my cf fog covers...my current ones are destroyed from road debris....but i have new ones on the way
Thanks, David! We're definitely going with the clear bra installation as well.

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
On 3k toms kit I'm trying to go the extra mile to protect it. I'm leaning on clear coating all the pieces to protect from the UV then clear bra on the front and side pieces. Putting on just a clear bra doesn't have any UV protection. Why does all the ****** cost so much. I need another hobby : )
It costs so much because we care about our parts. Knowing there will be a wait time, along with their being CF pieces, they have to be protected even more so because to replace those parts will be an even bigger hole in the wallet. I've seen people with CF parts, have them yellow, and replace the actual thing. Not fun. The clear coat will aid against yellowing sooner, depending upon its exposure to the sun. The clear bra will help against scratching or road debris, as amgone75 mentioned.
Old 02-25-13, 07:06 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

^^anytime actually my clear bra has a uv protection in it.... time will tell
Old 02-26-13, 04:15 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

I wanted to ask what should one expect to pay to clear toms pieces? 200?
Old 02-26-13, 04:43 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

with quality paint like PPG, Dupont or house of kolors, i would expect to pay 2-400 depending on place. they would also wetsand and buff.
Old 02-26-13, 07:28 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to be getting my areo function CF front lip spoiler in the next few weeks... I already have the Arkym rear diffuser and the e-bay CF roof spoiler... but they are not installed yet. Should I have them all clear coated before install? I was thinking of having clear bra applied to the front lip spoiler too.....
Old 02-26-13, 09:56 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

With the front lip, I'm not so sure I'd want a clear bra installation only because that's the one piece that will come in contact with the ground most often. The clear bra will protect the piece itself against debris and such, but it will get marred if you scrape it on a driveway or a speed bump. The film won't be as smooth after getting scraped, as it will form creases and won't look anywhere close to clear at that point. I would clear coat all the pieces for sure, however.
Old 02-26-13, 10:01 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

the thing people dont understand with clear bra, you have to make sure you polish out the part you are putting a clear bra on or you will see swirls, buffer trails, etc..whatever it is. also, a front clear bra can get chipped up to and honestly, it looks just as bad. i had my old front liip clear coated , drove about 20k high way miles and sold it not too long ago looking perfect. the buyer was amazed with the condition. its one of the little things ive learned from working in a body shop. clear coating headlights will make them look new for a long time as well.
Old 02-27-13, 04:14 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Does the Velcro trick work? I heard it may help if you come in contact with the ground. Where and what size is everyone getting? 3" wide? I'm assuming the rough side is stuck on the spoiler.

As far as the clear bra goes the xpel bra is one of the best products i've used. Not sure if it self heals like they say but it will hold up over a clear coat any day.

Last edited by MercuryISF; 02-27-13 at 04:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Toms ISF kit... should a clear coat be added?