IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Removal of secondary cats only (no muffler delete with it)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 08:08 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removal of secondary cats only (no muffler delete with it)

So I did a search and I can't seem to find any experiences with just the secondary cats removed, seems everyone does it in conjunction with muffler deletes, which I think is just too loud for my tastes. Has anyone removed only the secondary cats?? Does this really change the sound or increase performance at all??

Thanks and apologies in advance if someone posts a link with the answers, I just couldn't find it !
Old 02-22-13, 09:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Maybe something like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-exhaust.html

Lou
Old 02-22-13, 09:35 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Power gain for sure. Also I'm sure the sound will change as well. I'm running true dual with no cat and exhaust delete and my car is stupid loud. Lol. Will be putting the muffler back on.
Old 02-23-13, 06:25 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Cool, but from what I understand there would be no point adding X pipe because the exhaust isn't true dual right? So would you just weld straight pipes in where the cats are? The muffler/cat delete sounds like a beast but I just don't wanna hack my exhaust up that much :/

Low can you PM me more details on your project? That looks like a pretty awesome setup but I'm not sure how to find a shop good enough to do something like that.
Old 02-23-13, 08:39 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People have been hacking their cats since day one. Its nothing new. Gains would be minimal and it will sound a tad bit throatier ...thats it, real simple
Old 02-23-13, 11:35 AM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want to get rid of the smooshed y pipe coming out of the secondary cats. its very restrictive.
Old 02-23-13, 11:53 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Ok so pretty much like what lowrideraz posted? The best thing to do is hack the secondaries, replace with x pipe, then replace the Y pipe with mandrel bends??

I sent the thread he posted over to a custom muffler shop here that has pretty good reviews to see if they could do something like that. I doubt they are gonna be able to alter the mufflers like that though that looks crazy!
Old 02-23-13, 03:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RCM83
I doubt they are gonna be able to alter the mufflers like that though that looks crazy!
Maybe, but it works

Lou
Old 02-23-13, 04:24 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

So what's more restrictive? The cats or the y-pipe? I've been curious about this as it seems no one has a dyno of any exhaust that been hacked up.

Last edited by PhiDeltBee; 02-23-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-23-13, 05:20 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

The whole exhaust
Old 02-23-13, 05:52 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am hoping to dyno mine (deleted mufflers/secondary cats) at the ISF mega meet this April.
Old 02-23-13, 05:57 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I've been curious about this as it seems no one has a dyno of any exhaust that been hacked up.
Because who would spend 90 bux for a dyno when you can cut out the cats for 60 bus
Old 02-23-13, 06:00 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Because who would spend 90 bux for a dyno when you can cut out the cats for 60 bus
curiosity about the 5-7 whp they may have gotten
Old 02-23-13, 09:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
So what's more restrictive? The cats or the y-pipe? I've been curious about this as it seems no one has a dyno of any exhaust that been hacked up.
I believe it's the crush in the Y-Pipe, not the cats, but that's just my opinion. As far as not having a dyno on a, as you put it, hacked up exhaust. Here is my most recent post from 5 days ago showing a dyno of my system along with a friend with a JoeZ exhaust. I've posted it many times.

Lou

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I have attached the Dyno charts from two different ISFs, Mine and a friends. Mine has PPE headers, high-flow cats and a fabricated dual exhaust system with modified stock mufflers. His has PPE headers with a JoeZ exhaust and no cats. I have a Takeda Intake, he has an Injen. As you can see I'm putting out about 387HP and he's close to 400HP. But, I pull him on the bottom end, and he get's me on the top. I hope my graph help you with your decisions.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Removal of secondary cats only (no muffler delete with it)-louvsjose2-1s.jpg  
Old 02-23-13, 10:23 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Here is 3 videos of my car. Stock...deleted cats....deleted cats and mufflers....and SOON deleted cats, mufflers and headers.

In my opinion, the deleted cats and stock sounds identical. I could never tell a difference, so I chopped the mufflers. HUGE difference there. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Removal of secondary cats only (no muffler delete with it)