IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 01:10 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF

After days of debating and looking through parts catalog I ordered a set of 2012 springs and shocks in efforts to better the ride of the stock 2008.

Reasons I didn't go with aftermarket coil-overs are I don't want to have aftermarket stuff on my car and would like to keep it original but improved.

Cost I payed was $1044 with discounted parts from Sewell (Thank you for the price, service is lacking though).
Had to order bump stops from my local dealer and overpaid for those, $90 a pair.
Labor, Should be about 5 hours and was quoted almost $700 but with frequent flyer loyal customer discount just payed $500.
Total with labor: $1,634.00
Alignment will be done after the suspension settles, I will give it a couple of weeks. I don't daily the car so I don't have to worry about the tire wear.
You can certainly do it on your back and save the labor but I didn't want to.

These are the part numbers for latest and greatest 2012 ISF shocks and springs:

SPRING, FRONT COIL RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE PNC 48510
SPRING, FRONT COIL LEFT / DRIVER SIDE PNC 48520
ABSORBER ASSEMBLY, SHOCK, FRONT RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE MARK 48510-53270
ABSORBER ASSEMBLY, SHOCK, FRONT LEFT / DRIVER SIDE MARK 48520-53180
ABSORBER ASSEMBLY, SHOCK, REAR MARK 48530-53290
SPRING, COIL, REAR RIGHT&LEFT
Rear Bump Stops Left/Right
48341-30140 They aren't on Sewell's website though, Darrel dropped the ball on updating his catalog, no surprise there.

Shocks and springs have different part numbers opposed to any earlier years. Note that left drives shock is not the same as left passenger while rears are the same part numbers and so are the front springs and rears.

Important: It is normal that the bottom shock/strut spring perches aren't notched they are designed that way. DO NOT reuse rubber insulators that used to be between the spring and the shock!

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-14-13 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 01:16 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't believe these parts are going to fit your car.
I read few threads here, noting the modification to control arms etc.
Someone estimated $3500 in parts alone to make your 2008 ride like 2012.
I could be wrong but wonder if have done you research.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

Last edited by Rossi; 02-07-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 01:29 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Default Thursday, Feb 7th Update

Received a call from the tech with some concerns. Apparently all of the shocks in pre 2012 ISF have notched bottom springs seats where a spring rests. I came down to the shop to brainstorm the way around the situation as I wouldn't want to abort the mission just yet. Both of us were trying to make some sense out of new design to see if its safe to install. The one we know for sure that the springs are correct part numbers so are the shocks. Now that in mind we know that they are meant to be together. As of why no notch on the 2012, we couldn't come up with a sensible conclusion.

To remedy the situation we went ahead and ordered 2012 rubber seats to see if they come back notched or flat. That would make it 100% 2012 spec. They do have same part numbers as the previous years ISF. One way or the other it wouldn't hurt to have new seats in place as the old ones have some wear.

New parts will arrive on Monday. We will then re-attempt to install the 2012 shocks and springs. As far as why they changed the design and made it notch-less is a mystery to us. Even so since the spring is not 100% flat on the bottom and I am still not sure where the coil should be oriented since there is no more notch? Hopefully someone could pitch in and clear this up over the weekend.
Old 02-07-13, 01:35 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

interesting if this works but man $3500 is pretty damn steep.
Old 02-07-13, 01:38 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rossi
I don't believe these parts are going to fit your car.
I read few threads here, noting the modification to control arms etc.
Someone estimated $3500 in parts alone to make your 2008 ride like 2012.
I could be wrong but wonder if have done you research.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html
I have read that article. I am not expecting a full transformation here. biggest complaint i have in 08 is the ride quality. Shocks and springs play a major roll in it and if fits it should still make a difference even though not make it true 2012 spec. In theory the shocks mount up the same way the old ones did. I am trying to reuse some of the old shock components that are the same part numbers as 2012 spec to keep the cost down. So far its about 1k on the "spendometer". This should be a good step in stock plus direction if all works out. LIke I said, the biggest concern so far is the nothless bottom shock spring seat design...WHY?...Mystery....

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-07-13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 02:27 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the 2008 suspension really that bad? i have this suspension and havent installed it, as my car came with swift suspension. At this point i am debating if i should even bother installing them.
Old 02-07-13, 02:30 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im interested in the outcome and final cost
please post results
Old 02-07-13, 02:57 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
Is the 2008 suspension really that bad? i have this suspension and havent installed it, as my car came with swift suspension. At this point i am debating if i should even bother installing them.
I wouldn't do it. Its pretty bad. It is uncomfortable, car doesn't feel very planted, body roll is pretty high. I installed swift springs about 10k miles ago. Pros: I have less body roll, looks better. Cons: bouncy, silencers fell off and now I have spring slap while going over road imperfections. Less shock travel which caused me bottoming out a few times which was painful.

Originally Posted by hahahaf
im interested in the outcome and final cost
please post results
I will. I am going to take this one till the end.

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-07-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 03:26 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm very interested in how it all works out.
Old 02-08-13, 04:26 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am curious...what are you comparing the stock 08 suspension to? I personally don't think the ride is nearly as bad as your making it out to be. Are you tracking your car or is it your daily driven car?

I am also curious if the newer suspension will be direct replacement, good luck! And keep us posted.
Old 02-08-13, 06:24 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering why you did not just get a set of after market coils and call it a day??
Old 02-08-13, 07:41 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm very interested in how it all works out.
Your welcome.

Originally Posted by kauaian
I am curious...what are you comparing the stock 08 suspension to? I personally don't think the ride is nearly as bad as your making it out to be. Are you tracking your car or is it your daily driven car?

I had a Dinan Stage 3 BMW 335i with european performance shocks which were lower about half an inch then a normal US spec sport suspension and way better. It was my daily driver. Now the ISF is my daily driver. If you like your 2008 Suspension then great, I don't.

I am also curious if the newer suspension will be direct replacement, good luck! And keep us posted.
It should be as the shocks bolt up just the same way.

Originally Posted by zapa
Just wondering why you did not just get a set of after market coils and call it a day??
I dont want aftermarket on my car. ISF is a special car and in my opinion its stock or nothing. Just a personal preference.
The following users liked this post:
6kickS (10-06-19)
Old 02-08-13, 07:54 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow how much is all this costing with all the parts and labor? I test drove a 2012 and noticed minimal differences in the ride. I have KW V3s which were a huge improvement over stock especially on road trips to Cali. Theres nothing wrong with aftermarket parts to improve something on the car. I have my stock suspension sitting in the garage. I could understand if it was an LF-A or something to that level.
Old 02-08-13, 08:14 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Wow how much is all this costing with all the parts and labor? I test drove a 2012 and noticed minimal differences in the ride. I have KW V3s which were a huge improvement over stock especially on road trips to Cali. Theres nothing wrong with aftermarket parts to improve something on the car. I have my stock suspension sitting in the garage. I could understand if it was an LF-A or something to that level.
To each its own. You like to mod, I like OEM. This is not a debate of whats better aftermarket or stock. I mentioned the cost earlier, its about 1k so far in parts ( Struts/shocks and springs). I doubt you took the car to its limits during your test drive.
Old 02-08-13, 09:13 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you wanted a "better ride" in your first post. And that's why I'm talking about the ride quality. Are you going to be pushing the limits every time you drive the car? Or do you just want "better ride" like you already wrote? And yea actually we pushed the car pretty hard. Not sure how you would know since you weren't there.

Quick Reply: 2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF