IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Possibly Purchasing a Lexus ISF, thoughts on price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 02:59 PM
johnayysays
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly Purchasing a Lexus ISF, thoughts on price?

Hey Ya'll!

For the past month or so, I've been eyeing a Lexus ISF and I think I might have found one (2012 Lexus ISF @93k Miles) but wanted to know if any of ya'll can give me input on what you would realistically pay for this car. The only thing that needs to be done is rear rotor + brake pads replacements and new tires all around. Given the current market value (and rarity) of this car, I wanted peoples thoughts on what is the most I should pay. In my mind, I think the car's value as is sits around $30k but I'm not sure if this is too high for this car in it's current state.

I have seen a bunch of 2008-2009 going between 25k-30k scattered across USA but this one is going for around $32000. Maintenance wise, the car has been serviced at Lexus up until 60k and then from 60k -> 95k it has just been given oil changes. But from what I've been reading, these cars have a fairly easy maintenance as they are a Lexus and I'm not sure if the 2012 versions of these cars have the valley plate issue + cracked headers for it's age. Appreciate any insights and I'm hoping if the deal goes well, I'll be joining in on this forums a lot more frequently.

Last edited by johnayysays; 01-27-24 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spacexmase (01-28-24)
Old 01-30-24, 09:44 AM
Rkwo999
5th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ISF Price

Hey there, I recently purchased a 2011 ISF w/ 36k miles for $37k. It was so rare I decided to shop it from Seattle all the way to the east coast. From what I can tell these cars are fairly bulletproof (owners reporting over 200k to 3000k miles with no problem) and exceptionally rare (hopefully you can find an accident-free one.) If it’s clean and well maintained I would pay $30k for it if you’re looking for a small, RWD V8 sedan with excellent reliability. These types of cars will never be made again and when you want to sell they retain value extremely well. Good luck!
johnayysays (01-30-24)
Old 02-01-24, 01:09 PM
Lushman
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know if the 2012+ still suffered the valley plate issue, but my understanding was that Lexus considered the differential fluid a "lifetime" fluid. If it's been fully serviced by the dealership (including fluids) this will be apparent when the diff is drained of it's sticky-toffee-pudding. Shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but something to be aware of.
Old 02-02-24, 07:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Lushman
I don't know if the 2012+ still suffered the valley plate issue, but my understanding was that Lexus considered the differential fluid a "lifetime" fluid. If it's been fully serviced by the dealership (including fluids) this will be apparent when the diff is drained of it's sticky-toffee-pudding. Shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but something to be aware of.
All 2UR engines suffer the valley plate problem including the latest ones. This has never been fixed at the factory and it's unlikely it ever will be fixed permanently.
Old 02-04-24, 05:42 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

$32k is a STEAL for a '12 ISF with under 100k miles on it and accident free. Tires and brakes are something that'll likely need to be done to any car you buy (if not, those items will be included in the price, aka, likely much higher).
I've had my '12 for 9 years now. Bought it with round 20k miles on the clock. Now have 75k miles on it and it's as reliable and fun as it comes! In most cases, I prefer to drive it over my '23 Huracan EVO, for many reasons. Don't ever see myself letting go of the F. Only around 560-570 made in 2012..... SUPER RARE. Since you have a chance to grab this gem, do so, and don't look back.
Good luck!

V.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vitveet:
inovashn (02-05-24), Lushman (02-05-24)
Old 02-07-24, 05:51 AM
d1sturb3d1
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind the open diff that's not bad. Low miles too. Just reserve some funds for the valley plate, which would involve a refresh for a lot of little parts along the way. And you may want to mod the rear diff. I swapped mine with an RCF's for the torsen.
Lushman (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 09:56 AM
Lushman
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by d1sturb3d1
If you don't mind the open diff that's not bad. Low miles too. Just reserve some funds for the valley plate, which would involve a refresh for a lot of little parts along the way. And you may want to mod the rear diff. I swapped mine with an RCF's for the torsen.
I didn't realize that was an option. I've been casually keeping an eye out for a Torsen diff. The maintenance-free aspect of the Torsen really appeals, as I've never had to get a diff rebuilt before. You can just swap in an RFD diff, huh? How much did that cost you?
Old 02-07-24, 10:20 AM
d1sturb3d1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Lushman
I didn't realize that was an option. I've been casually keeping an eye out for a Torsen diff. The maintenance-free aspect of the Torsen really appeals, as I've never had to get a diff rebuilt before. You can just swap in an RFD diff, huh? How much did that cost you?
So I did this a few years back so I got it all for a steal. The backing plate is different so that would need to be swapped from the ISF to the RCF and resealed. The diff was off a wrecked RCF on ebay, for $800 shipped. And I installed it myself with a floor jack. CV's stayed on the car. Definitely a balancing job with by floor jack.

Worst case you can get the clutch type LSD but there is chatter on full lock. I have that on my SC400 cause I couldn't find another RCF diff for that price. Way more maintenance, break-in, chatter at full lock, all of that. Special fluid too. The overall design for their V8's haven't changed. The SC400 pumpkin and ISF were pretty much identical side by side. The CV splines are also the same. Dont fix if it aint broke I suppose.
Old 02-07-24, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by d1sturb3d1
So I did this a few years back so I got it all for a steal. The backing plate is different so that would need to be swapped from the ISF to the RCF and resealed. The diff was off a wrecked RCF on ebay, for $800 shipped. And I installed it myself with a floor jack. CV's stayed on the car. Definitely a balancing job with by floor jack.

Worst case you can get the clutch type LSD but there is chatter on full lock. I have that on my SC400 cause I couldn't find another RCF diff for that price. Way more maintenance, break-in, chatter at full lock, all of that. Special fluid too. The overall design for their V8's haven't changed. The SC400 pumpkin and ISF were pretty much identical side by side. The CV splines are also the same. Dont fix if it aint broke I suppose.
I've had the OS Giken spool in my IS F for about 75k miles. It has never chattered even once. The only "way more maintenance" is an oil change every 20k miles. Other than that, nothing. It's also phenomenally better than any Torsen I've driven. Keep in mind a Torsen is an open diff as soon as you get inside wheel lift. Clutch units do not do spin the inside wheel and lose all drive when one of the rear wheels comes off the ground as is common with the OEM front springs.
Old 02-07-24, 02:02 PM
d1sturb3d1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've had the OS Giken spool in my IS F for about 75k miles. It has never chattered even once. The only "way more maintenance" is an oil change every 20k miles. Other than that, nothing. It's also phenomenally better than any Torsen I've driven. Keep in mind a Torsen is an open diff as soon as you get inside wheel lift. Clutch units do not do spin the inside wheel and lose all drive when one of the rear wheels comes off the ground as is common with the OEM front springs.
True true, just diff fluid on the ISF is cumbersome with the exhaust I have so I'm not a fan of changing diff fluid often. The caveat is that my experience with it was on my SC400. Easier to change the fluid but its me "fun" car so it gets driven a lot less so its not that big a deal. I went with a torsen on the ISF cause I didn't want the maintenance.

OS Giken may have a better design than Kaaz. Or maybe I didn't do as good a job on break in. Its not that bad but with solid diff bushings it certainly talks back! Made the car a lot more fun though!