IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A fun day out with the ISF

Old 02-04-13, 03:08 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autopilotF
Do you know what % tint you have? thanks
Hi there, sorry I can't remember. I just rocked up to the tinting place and told them I want the darkest legal tint and they handled it (here in Australia, tint that is too dark is not considered road legal and the cops can bust you for it)
Old 02-04-13, 03:11 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I'm on a personal mission to spread the word of the 'F' badge - everyone knows about the 'M' badge, Audi's RS and AMG but F often gets no mention. I believe the ISF and LFA are starting to change people's perception of the brand, but there's a long way to go. At the moment, we're all driving very underrated cars. I have had so many people mistake the car for a modded IS250/350 but when they hear the V8 they come up and say "what's in that thing? It sounds awesome!"

And yes, I found out a lot about the car from just that day, it's very well-balanced but also heavy, so managing weight transfer is paramount in getting a nice smooth drift. I've just gotten some skinny 18" tyres so I'll be using that to improve my drifting. Stay tuned for more videos!
Old 02-04-13, 03:45 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

good to see your on here mate
it's [[d a n n y]] off jdmst
Old 02-04-13, 10:26 PM
SharkTankL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

interior looks dope!
Old 02-17-13, 03:53 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Did another skid pan session in the ISF, I think I'm getting the hang of it. The trick is sensitive throttle control rather than applying too much and spinning the car.

Here's the video:

Old 02-18-13, 10:22 AM
drphatmatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the car and the driving,
Old 04-20-13, 02:59 PM
AussieISF
Driver

So I went for another skid training day, this time with Roadcraft in Gympie, which was a 2 hour drive away.

First couple of sessions, I try to drift the car and I'm all over the place. I either get a ton of understeer followed by snap oversteer, or the car just doesn't want to lose grip. I'm beginning to regret not bringing some skid tyres because the street tyres were just too grippy.

Then an instructor hops in with me, and proceeds to do this:

He got out and told me the ISF has one of the most balanced chassis he's felt, very communicative and the torque makes it easy to drift.

So obviously, I have a long way to go in driver skill. With some coaching, I did get better towards the end of the day, but still a long way to go. He taught me techniques like using my eyes to direct the car, being smooth with the throttle and how to prevent understeer. If anyone here is having problems driving the car properly, let me assure you that it is not the car, but the technique, especially if you have 2010+ model with the LSD.

The ISF is such an unknown car, especially in Australia. Very, very few people actually know what the ISF is, and its understated looks make it pass off as a normal IS with a bodykit. I'm actually thinking of getting a bunch of flyers from the dealership on the ISF and just putting them in the car, everytime someone asks me "what is it, what engine does it have, is it like an M3", I'll just pass them the flyer.

Another interesting thing to note - of all the other cars that were there, I found that there were 2 categories. Those that drifted well, including high powered V8s like the Holdens/GMs and Fords, and those who did the timed autocross/motorkhanas well, like the MR2s and Skylines. The ISF was the exception - it did BOTH well. If you turned off VSC completely, it was a drift machine, but if you kept it on in sport mode, it was damn quick. In fact, I almost beat the fastest car in the autocross but I came in too hot on one of the turns. Considering how bad a driver I am, it's quite an achievement.

This car keeps surprising me again and again.
Old 04-20-13, 03:06 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow looks like a fun time....I'm drooling over the sound of the BOV on that skyline
Old 04-20-13, 04:30 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Looks like a blast! It's always great to get to learn how to drive your car all over again unlocking the potential it has. Keep it up and you'll be just as good
Old 04-20-13, 04:52 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Wow.....now that is the definition of fun with the IS-F. I wish there were instructor courses like that around where I live. The 2012 IS-F is a masterpiece in Lexus engineering.....as you almost beat the fastest car. Congrats! I might have to start looking for some 2012s laying around...hmmm.

So again, you did the drift with the VSC on or off? Off, I imagine. I gotta start learning how to drift the IS-F.

Loved the videos!!! Please post more in this thread, as you gain more experience.
Old 04-20-13, 05:05 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

HOLY HELL i love the RED!!!!!
Old 04-20-13, 10:14 PM
Brisman
Rookie

Looks like you had a great time up there in Gympie.

Taking me for a drift soon?
Old 04-20-13, 10:34 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Looks like fun. To bad we dont have a track here like that where we can get some drifting classes.
Old 04-21-13, 05:19 AM
MansionBLD
Driver School Candidate

RecursiveL, what size tires are you running there? Are those 2012 wheels and are you a bit lowered?
Old 04-21-13, 08:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by RecursiveL
...He got out and told me the ISF has one of the most balanced chassis he's felt, very communicative and the torque makes it easy to drift....
This is precisely why I spend my "mod" money on track days and not on "mods." Until you can drive it like this, the car is WAY better than you are and your money is best spent developing the talent necessary to exploit what the F will do so you can actually take advantage of the mods when you do them. Most guys - even guys here - are too quick to mess with something well balanced and well sorted out because the think they know better than Lexus. It always makes me chuckle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A fun day out with the ISF