IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 08:02 AM
Nameless1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Steering feel

New to this forum, but not necessarily new to Lexus. Anyway, just got an '08 ISF and noticed that the steering requires much more effort to turn than my old '07 IS350 and my wife's '13 RX350. Just curious if any other ISF drivers out there notice the same thing or if there is something wrong with my power steering. My previous cars, '08 STi and '06 EVO, also did not require this much effort to turn the steering wheel.
Old 01-01-13, 08:06 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Congrats ! and Welcome , yeah maybe only u have that issue, Check the steering or back to the dealer for double check.
Old 01-01-13, 08:32 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

check your power steering fluids
Old 01-01-13, 09:31 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
check your power steering fluids
lol are you trolling?
Old 01-01-13, 10:27 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The ISF uses EPS, an electric motor and a controller to adjust sensitivity for steering assist. It usually works or not. I've never heard of a weak EPS system but that's not to say that it can't happen.
Old 01-01-13, 10:44 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I also had an 08 STi (wagon) and 06 IS350 that went to an 08 ISF and noticed the steering is much heavier in the ISF (artificially so.) Normal mode in the ISF makes the steering feel slightly lighter.

Assuming your tire pressures are normal, the heavy steering feel is normal.

Off topic, recently went to an 2011 ISF and the steering feel is much improved, as in lighter but more precise even in Sport mode.

Originally Posted by Nameless1
New to this forum, but not necessarily new to Lexus. Anyway, just got an '08 ISF and noticed that the steering requires much more effort to turn than my old '07 IS350 and my wife's '13 RX350. Just curious if any other ISF drivers out there notice the same thing or if there is something wrong with my power steering. My previous cars, '08 STi and '06 EVO, also did not require this much effort to turn the steering wheel.
Old 01-01-13, 11:19 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im pretty sure Teo is trolling haha

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I also had an 08 STi (wagon) and 06 IS350 that went to an 08 ISF and noticed the steering is much heavier in the ISF (artificially so.) Normal mode in the ISF makes the steering feel slightly lighter.

Assuming your tire pressures are normal, the heavy steering feel is normal.

Off topic, recently went to an 2011 ISF and the steering feel is much improved, as in lighter but more precise even in Sport mode.
2011 has an upgrade to the ECU for steering it feels better than the 08.

Maybe you guys think the steering is harder or heavier than the 2IS because the IS-F comes with a steering damper, which is essentially just a heavy paperweight installed inside the steering wheel. I added it to my is350 and personally, I love the new steering feel.
Old 01-01-13, 11:37 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Just wondering, is there a way to have the 2008-2010 model update the UCU for the steering to the 2011+ specs?
If it is just a software, I wonder if dealer might be able to update our cars. I have 2010 car.
Old 01-01-13, 01:29 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Seems I was wrong, there's a few more than just the ECU upgrade to get the better handling in the newer IS-F:

Originally Posted by flipside909
The changes to the 11 IS F suspension includes revised spring rates, revised shock valving and bushings, redesigned front spindles, etc. It's a total package along with the revised power steering characteristics. You are better off getting an 11.
Old 01-01-13, 01:31 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just wondering, is there a way to have the 2008-2010 model update the UCU for the steering to the 2011+ specs?
If it is just a software, I wonder if dealer might be able to update our cars. I have 2010 car.
From what I remembered it was a different ECU unit.
Someone had posted a picture of it awhile back.
Old 01-01-13, 01:51 PM
Nameless1
Rookie

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind the heavier feel, but I think I might prefer it if it were slightly lighter. Is there a way to remove said damper, or adjust the sensitivity of the EPS?
Old 01-01-13, 06:25 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind the heavier feel, but I think I might prefer it if it were slightly lighter. Is there a way to remove said damper, or adjust the sensitivity of the EPS?
yes you can very easily remove the steering damper, it is held on by two screws. However, I really doubt you'll enjoy the lighter steering wheel; removing the weight will make vibrations more noticeable in the steering wheel.
Old 01-01-13, 07:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Seems I was wrong, there's a few more than just the ECU upgrade to get the better handling in the newer IS-F:
This is inaccurate. The front spindles/hubs/bearings are unchanged. Only the shocks and springs are changed in the front. The part numbers for the hubs, front subframe, and all attached suspension components have not changed since the IS-F was first delivered to the US - including the steering rack and its bushings..

There is a long thread in the 2IS forum about changing the steering ECU. Yes, it is possible and relatively inexpensive to change to the 2011 steering ECU and everyone who has done this has been very happy according to the thread in the 2IS forum.
Old 01-01-13, 07:17 PM
Nameless1
Rookie

Originally Posted by edgeucated
yes you can very easily remove the steering damper, it is held on by two screws. However, I really doubt you'll enjoy the lighter steering wheel; removing the weight will make vibrations more noticeable in the steering wheel.
I didn't think you were being literal when you mentioned the paper weight. I'm not sure if that is what is making the steering require more effort to turn. I could be wrong though. I may give it a shot just to see how it feels. Where exactly is the weight located? Do you have a pic by chance?
Old 01-01-13, 07:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I didn't think you were being literal when you mentioned the paper weight. I'm not sure if that is what is making the steering require more effort to turn. I could be wrong though. I may give it a shot just to see how it feels. Where exactly is the weight located? Do you have a pic by chance?
Don't waste your time messing with the damper. The issue is the steering ECU.

Quick Reply: ISF Steering feel