IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My New Front Ferodo Brake Pads

Old 12-29-12, 11:02 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts
Default My New Front Ferodo Brake Pads

I installed new Front Brake Pads a couple days before Christmas. I put on Ferodo Pads in their DS2500 compound. I obtained the brakes from Speed Freaks at http://speed-freaks.net. This vendor is great work with (is extremely customer oriented) and has just become a sponsor on this site (concentrating on the ISF). They will be having some site specials in the coming week. I'll keep you folks posted.

For the installaltion I used the two DIYs located on this site:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6844324

A big to Cayman for taking the time to post those threads. I had never done brakes before, and these were a godsend. Again thanks so much

When pulling off my old pads, I noticed I had more pad left than I thought I did. I had been checking the pad thickness from the top of the caliper and the stock pads have beveled edges, so I was only seeing the bottom of the bevel. Like all replacement, non-OEM pads, the Ferodos do not have the low pad warning device that is built into the stock pads. There is a cut in the pad for a warning device for a different application, however, since these pads are not beveled I will be able to keep my eye on them, but I expect it will be awhile before I replace these.

The Ferodos did not exhibit any hint of fade during the bedding process. Each application (from about 80MPH to 10MPH) was straight and sure. The pedal was tight and they grabbed hard on every stop. Now that I've had time to drive them around town, the feel is slightly different than the stock Brembo pads. They start to grab sooner than the Brembos did, but once you know this, they are very easy to modulate. The dusting appears to be a bit less than the stock Brembos, but they are not a low dust pad, they are a performance pad. They make no noise, and IMHO, the overall pedal feel is really excellent.

I am very happy with my choice!
Attached Thumbnails My New Front Ferodo Brake Pads-pads4s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 12-29-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-29-12, 12:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The pad wear slot is for the Mercedes SLK55 AMG with the same Brembo M6 caliper. It does have the electronic wear detection system.
Old 01-06-13, 11:19 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Just an update, the more I drive with these things, the more I luv 'em. IMHO, the feel is better than the stock Brembo pads. They are extremely easy to modulate and very powerful, very aggressive. Oh, did I mention I was happy Here is a comment from forum member KJH posted in another thread concerning the Ferodo DS2500:

Originally Posted by KJH
I have no knowledge of these rotors, but I have years and years of experience with the Ferodo DS 2500 pads. I have them on both of my Supras and I feel, for those cars, they are the best pad available bar none. If their performance on the IS-F is the same, I feel confident in saying you will not be disappointed. All that said, these pads dust every bit as much as the OEM pads. It's not a problem for me because of the time, effort and expense I go through to keep my cars clean. It might be different for others seeing as there are many complaints about how much the OEM pads dust.

For me, I'll take maximum stopping power, and the dust that goes with it, over less capable pads any day of the week. I'll be interested in your input regarding the DS 2500s, Lou. Best of luck.

Lou
Old 01-09-13, 08:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The original pads are not Brembo. They're Jurid. There are no Brembo pads I can find for our calipers.
Old 01-10-13, 06:09 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Lou,
How much are those pads in comparison to the OEM pads?

Thanks!
Jim
Old 01-10-13, 10:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

They were about $245.00 from http://speed-freaks.net. They have lots of other choices:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ed-freaks.html

and

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-the-week.html

But, for me, Ferodo was the right choice

Lou
Old 01-10-13, 12:02 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Good to know, Lou! It's great to hear positive feedback with these pads, and to know that there are some good alternatives to the OEM pads.
Old 01-10-13, 12:21 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the info Lou
Old 02-02-13, 10:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Just another Update. The more I use these things, the more I'm convinced they are the best pad available for the street and occasional spirited driving. For around town driving, I'm the type of driver that when I pull up to a stop, I gently pump my brakes rather than apply them all at once. The Ferodo's do this a a smooth controlled manner, much better than the OEMs which tended to be grabby. But, when I want to pull 'er down quickly, they stop RIGHT NOW! With aggressive driving, powering thru a corner with throttle and brake, I couldn't ask for more. In short, the more I use them, the more I woner how I ever got along without them. In a word - FANTASTIC

Lou
Old 02-02-13, 11:47 AM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hows the brake dust??
Old 02-02-13, 11:55 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Just another Update. The more I use these things, the more I'm convinced they are the best pad available for the street and occasional spirited driving. For around town driving, I'm the type of driver that when I pull up to a stop, I gently pump my brakes rather than apply them all at once. The Ferodo's do this a a smooth controlled manner, much better than the OEMs which tended to be grabby. But, when I want to pull 'er down quickly, they stop RIGHT NOW! With aggressive driving, powering thru a corner with throttle and brake, I couldn't ask for more. In short, the more I use them, the more I woner how I ever got along without them. In a word - FANTASTIC

Lou
how did you come to that conclusion? have you had any other brake pads to experience or even compare to besides oem? i thought these were your only pads tried besides oem.
Old 02-02-13, 08:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCal_450h
hows the brake dust??
The Ferodo is a performance pad and is not low dust. However, I have found them to dust less than the OEM pad. Great Street low dust pads are available from our site sponsor Speed-Freaks here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...e-special.html

I believe the Project Mu or Carbotech are what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
how did you come to that conclusion? have you had any other brake pads to experience or even compare to besides oem? i thought these were your only pads tried besides oem.
You are correct I have only had the OEM and the Ferodo pads on my F. However, I am a 74 year old kid. I have been driving various motor vehicles for 57 years now. Motorcycles of all sizes, Various types of Automobiles, PickUp Trucks, even a Bus. In my youth I have raced on closed courses - Drag, Slalom, Road Course, and Oval (dirt and paved). My first vehicle was a 1950 Mercury Coupe and I have progressed up through various Boss Mustangs, GTOs, Trans Ams, an RX8, and even a Porsche to name a few. I have witnessed the evolution of brake systems from hydraulic drums to todays modern disc brake systems, Including BBKs like the Brembo, StopTech and others. Oh, and I am a Bob Bondurant Graduate. So, I think I am qualified to comment on a brakes performance.

This is, however, my first automotive application of a Ferodo pad. I used Ferodo pads, in another life, on a Harley Davidson. I was so impressed by their overall performance on that motorcycle, I swore I would give them a chance on an automobile. Before I bought these I did much research and it all confirmed, to me, that The Ferodo DS2500 compound would be best for my style of driving. And, of course, I am extremely happy with my choice. And that is how I came to that conclusion.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-03-13 at 09:27 AM.