IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2012-2013 Lowering/ Drop spring options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 07:16 AM
FforLife
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@1sexylexus, the front is looking great. It look about the same gap as the stock rear. Nice
Old 01-28-13, 09:18 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey 1SexyLexus, your rear tire might be within specs. We all knew that these springs would drop the rear 0.6"
Old 01-28-13, 10:46 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@Fforlife, Just dropping the front did even out the gap. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of that. but I do have a vid that im trying to upload.

@Juanca, I did read the rear to be dropped within that spec, but judging from the others (2008-2011) who are dropped on Swift springs, their drop looked even after installing the rears. But for some reason, the rears on the 2012 are tucked??? Kinda looks like the car is loaded with rear passangers.
Old 01-28-13, 10:56 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=502674313116110

Sorry guys, I only have a facebook vid for now till I could get it loaded on youtube.
Old 01-28-13, 11:26 AM
FforLife
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
@Fforlife, Just dropping the front did even out the gap. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of that. but I do have a vid that im trying to upload.

@Juanca, I did read the rear to be dropped within that spec, but judging from the others (2008-2011) who are dropped on Swift springs, their drop looked even after installing the rears. But for some reason, the rears on the 2012 are tucked??? Kinda looks like the car is loaded with rear passangers.
are you gonna put the rear stock back. Atleast you dont have to worry much about the rear alignment

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-28-13, 12:29 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Sorry guys...I just now saw how this thread was developing. Interesting that the rear drops MORE on the '12+. Here is my post from my thread on these springs (my car is an '11). At first I did front only and then went ahead with the rear with 15mm spacers all around. These photos were with stock tires 255/35 in the back. I now have 275/30 in back which is a smaller diameter by about a 1/2".

UPDATE!

This is a picture with the front only lowered on Swift springs.

These are all pictures of the front AND rear lowered on Swifts with 15 mm H&R spacers all around.

So........................I went back and forth with myself, my installer, my friend, and several of you guys on whether or not to put the rears springs on. I finally decided last night (while at the installer) to go ahead with it. My installer was hesitant to do it after putting all the spacers on. After installing the rear springs, we actually couldn't even really tell a difference. We DID trim the rear bump stops inside the rear springs 1/2" as per the instructions in the box. All in all, I'm very happy with the look and the funny thing is, the back fenders still measure 26" from the ground (the same as with the stock springs). The front fenders also measure 26" from the ground. This is taking a tape measure from the ground and running it up the center of the wheel to the fender.

So, this has been awhile back, but the car still looks the same. Scratching my head on why your rear went so low as you can see mine was nearly identical before and after.
Old 01-28-13, 12:50 PM
FforLife
Rookie

^ Can you tell the different between the riding with the REAR STOCK SPRING and the REAR SWIFT SPRING. Probably not but fust asking. Your alignment went well? Thanks for the Pics Very nice, clean F Just how I want mine to be + the Toms front lip.
Old 01-28-13, 01:19 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I can't really tell any difference in ride at all. It still rides very nicely. My alignment was a major PITA! I had the infamous pull to the right. We tried everything and ended up doing a subframe alignment and it still didn't work. I finally bought the SPC ball joints to get a better offset between camber and caster and we eventually got it dialed in. Keep in mind this had nothing to do with the springs. It was an issue prior to install, but I was very OCD about the pulling and wanted it fixed.
Old 01-28-13, 01:40 PM
FforLife
Rookie

^Thank you so much PhiDeltBee. I could feel the frustration 1sexy going thru now. Cant wait to hear good new from him.
Old 01-29-13, 03:32 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I am looking into this guys. It may be a rate difference on the rear springs for 2012 but I will confirm and we will get you taken care of one way or another.
A spring change in the front only should not cause any problems unless you are worried about bottoming out. The spring rate up front will be increased but the rear spring is chosen to match the front rate. It may be a little off handling wise. I will let you know what I find out.

EDIT: after looking at the pics again on the computer and not my phone it does look consistent with what is intended on the drop. The wheel goes right up to the lip of the fender but I would not consider it tucking. its probably only a 1/4" off whaPhiDeltBee is showing as gap. I would still favor the stiffer rate rear spring with the front spring setup for balance.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 01-29-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 04:28 PM
FforLife
Rookie

^ Thank you for doing this FIGS
Old 02-03-13, 07:44 AM
FforLife
Rookie

[quote=1SexyLexus] @Fforlife, Just dropping the front did even out the gap. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of that. but I do have a vid that im trying to

So 1sexylexus, what did you end up doing with the rear springs. Plz update

Old 02-03-13, 10:53 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

[quote=FforLife;7743165]
@Fforlife, Just dropping the front did even out the gap. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of that. but I do have a vid that im trying to

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been busy with work. Ive asked tons of people if the dropped looked even, if the rear looked tucked, and overall what they thought. From the opinions of others that Ive gathered the end conculsion is that the wheel gap in the front is lower than before and looks cleaner that way, the rear looks slightly tucked if any but not noticeable from far, and overall the drop looks even regardless of who I asked. Minus looking at the wheel gaps, and just by looking from the side at bottom of the side skirt, the car still appears to be even. Whether or not the wheel gaps are even, or the rear is tucked, I just may be **** about these things. I left the rear Swift Springs on in hopes that when the Swift Springs settle in, the rears stay the same height and the front lowers a bit more (Please keep in mind that I rarely drive the car now, so it may take some time for them to actually settle in). If the rears drop any lower than they are already, I will definitely throw the stocks back on and raise them back up. As for ride quality, it rides somewhat like stock with alittle more rebound if that helps any?
Old 02-03-13, 06:42 PM
FforLife
Rookie

[quote=1SexyLexus]
Originally Posted by FforLife

Quote:

@Fforlife, Just dropping the front did even out the gap. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of that. but I do have a vid that im trying to

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been busy with work. Ive asked tons of people if the dropped looked even, if the rear looked tucked, and overall what they thought. From the opinions of others that Ive gathered the end conculsion is that the wheel gap in the front is lower than before and looks cleaner that way, the rear looks slightly tucked if any but not noticeable from far, and overall the drop looks even regardless of who I asked. Minus looking at the wheel gaps, and just by looking from the side at bottom of the side skirt, the car still appears to be even. Whether or not the wheel gaps are even, or the rear is tucked, I just may be **** about these things. I left the rear Swift Springs on in hopes that when the Swift Springs settle in, the rears stay the same height and the front lowers a bit more (Please keep in mind that I rarely drive the car now, so it may take some time for them to actually settle in). If the rears drop any lower than they are already, I will definitely throw the stocks back on and raise them back up. As for ride quality, it rides somewhat like stock with alittle more rebound if that helps any?
If you have time, take pictures with the camera level to the car like the above pics and have the CL members give some thoughts

Old 05-01-13, 02:51 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Any update on how things have worked out? I want to provide further feedback to Swift on the 2012 application.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Quick Reply: 2012-2013 Lowering/ Drop spring options?