IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 IS F or 2011 IS 350 AWD

Old 09-26-13, 10:58 AM
Axle1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS F or 2011 IS 350 AWD

I've been searching the forums for some insight on the IS F vs the IS 350. I've come across a lot of great information but none exactly what I'm looking for.. so, I'd appreciate your opinions

I'm debating between a 2008 IS F with around 70k miles and a 2011 IS 350 AWD with around 27k miles.
Both cars have all the options I want. I love everything about the IS F except the age and the mileage (but it's a Toyota, so does this really matter?). I really like the IS 350, but I don't love the look of it as much and would want to change some things out almost immediately to make it more appealing to me. The IS350 I could check out locally. The IS F would require a plane flight and 8 hour drive home. This will be a car I drive daily, all year, for many years.

About me: 25, no children, one soon to be 90lb German Shepherd, around 200 mile per week commute to work, spend a decent amount of time at the local quarter mile track (but this car would only make a trip or two down it just for kicks), familiar with/used to fast(ish) loud cars. I live in Cincinnati, OH where we only get a few days of snow per year (knock on wood). I currently drive a 2012 Audi TT quattro (no, I am not a male hairdresser).

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-13, 11:05 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're posting your thread here then you are discretely leaning towards an IS-F. You're going to get biased opinions here, with 90%+ saying you should go with the IS-F. So I'm not sure what you're trying to determine here.
Old 09-26-13, 11:15 AM
Axle1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFpat
If you're posting your thread here then you are discretely leaning towards an IS-F. You're going to get biased opinions here, with 90%+ saying you should go with the IS-F. So I'm not sure what you're trying to determine here.
This might be true! I also thought maybe the 350 owners would check here as well as the 350 forums since I have read of many people upgrading from a 350 to the F.
Old 09-26-13, 11:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i know a guy that has 130k on his ISF with no problems. It doesnt seem there are many, if any, common issues with the ISF. Theres not much really with the regular IS, just the water pump and the navigation screen (both cars) which is an easy fix.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-26-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 11:21 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the devil is in the details.

best parts about the F are the 5.0-liter V8 and the 8-speed automatic transmission w/ true paddle shifting. it's also stinkin' fast in a straight line (car mags have timed the F in the high 12's in the 1/4 mile).

on the other hand, with the F you'll get a marginal decrease in fuel economy (give or take 2 mpg) along with a marginal increase in maintenance costs (typically mitigated if you know where to look for replacement parts). not sure if you can/can't manage winter driving in OH w/ a powerful RWD car, though if you're native to OH, you should be well versed in winter driving (we have no such worries here in CA).

aside from all that, you're not missing much between a 2008 F and 2011 IS350.
Old 09-26-13, 11:28 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Agreed, you'll get biased opinions here. But if you insist, I'll give you my opinion.

I would personally look for an ISF with lower mileage but as we all know it's a Lexus and that doesn't really matter. Just my preference though. If your ISF will never see snow, it will be a great & comfortable DD. I regret going with all-season tires as they don't grip as well as summer performance, and my car does not see snow, ever (rarely rain). The ISF is a great daily driver for some people but I personally need my fix of rowing through gears so I have my DD for that. I'd get tired of the F if it was my DD, TBH.

There is definitely a significant difference between the 350 and F, as I did a review last month: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pressions.html
Old 09-26-13, 11:45 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the IS-F and love driving every time you get in the car. If you don't, you'll resent the 350 because it isn't the IS-F you could've had...
Old 09-26-13, 12:24 PM
Axle1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
the devil is in the details.

best parts about the F are the 5.0-liter V8 and the 8-speed automatic transmission w/ true paddle shifting. it's also stinkin' fast in a straight line (car mags have timed the F in the high 12's in the 1/4 mile).on the other hand, with the F you'll get a marginal decrease in fuel economy (give or take 2 mpg) along with a marginal increase in maintenance costs (typically mitigated if you know where to look for replacement parts). not sure if you can/can't manage winter driving in OH w/ a powerful RWD car, though if you're native to OH, you should be well versed in winter driving (we have no such worries here in CA).

aside from all that, you're not missing much between a 2008 F and 2011 IS350.
High 12's may not be super thrilling as I have a lot of passenger time in a high 9 to low 10 second car. Obviously, passenger and driver time are a lot different. Either way, 350 over F wouldn't be for the super fast car factor, though it's a plus! I have zero experience driving a RWD car in snow. All of my cars have been FWD or AWD. I can always work from home if a huge snow storm hits and I would get snow wheels and Blizzaks if I go with the F.

Thanks for your reply! More to think about

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Agreed, you'll get biased opinions here. But if you insist, I'll give you my opinion.

I would personally look for an ISF with lower mileage but as we all know it's a Lexus and that doesn't really matter. Just my preference though. If your ISF will never see snow, it will be a great & comfortable DD. I regret going with all-season tires as they don't grip as well as summer performance, and my car does not see snow, ever (rarely rain). The ISF is a great daily driver for some people but I personally need my fix of rowing through gears so I have my DD for that. I'd get tired of the F if it was my DD, TBH.

There is definitely a significant difference between the 350 and F, as I did a review last month: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pressions.html
Very interesting that you would get tired of the F if it was your DD. I hadn't thought of that and it would be my DD. Thanks for the link! Great write-up.

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Get the IS-F and love driving every time you get in the car. If you don't, you'll resent the 350 because it isn't the IS-F you could've had...
This is my fear. I don't want to dislike it and then want to buy another car in a couple years. I'd like something that I am going to enjoy and is practical for many years... this could also describe the 350 though.
Old 09-26-13, 12:27 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Lol take it from experience. I have driven both. U wish we kept our ISF such a different animal!
Old 09-26-13, 12:31 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Axle1;8158883

This is my fear. I don't want to dislike it and then want to buy another car in a couple years. I'd like something that I am going to enjoy and is practical for many years... this could also describe the 350 though.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you'll love the 350 as well...I just don't think 70k is significant enough to justify passing up the F with 30k on the 350. They're both sick...I just feel like I look forward to driving anywhere and everywhere now that I have an IS-F. It's a game-changer just hearing the rumble...
Old 09-26-13, 01:41 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Axle1
Very interesting that you would get tired of the F if it was your DD. I hadn't thought of that and it would be my DD. Thanks for the link! Great write-up.
I should say, I'd be bored of the F if I drove it every day, mainly because driver engagement is a lot less than a true manual car (even though paddle shifting is fun). Albeit I would much rather be in the F in bumper to bumper traffic since I can throw it in Auto. Pro/con type stuff.

Another thing, half the people out there don't even know what the F is. Driving thru NYC I get the most ridiculous questions ("what is that", "how fast is it", "is this the F-sport").....that type of stuff is awesome
Old 09-26-13, 06:03 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Easy, get the ISF. Treat it right with routine maintenance and you can put another 70k miles on it easily. Cost of parts will be a bit higher, but in the end you'll appreciate it way more. It's a much more fun car. You won't ever think man, I should have bought that IS350 instead.
Old 09-26-13, 06:45 PM
jjpb5
Driver School Candidate

I have owned both and I just recently purchased my ISF with 90k miles for $27k. It runs just as good as the isF's I test drove with a lot less miles. We did 3 0-60 runs and I got 4.4 and two 4.5s. I'm a lot happier with the F. We will see what she does in the snow.
Old 09-26-13, 06:47 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the F fellow Cincinnatian! (grew up there)

You won't regret it.
Old 09-26-13, 07:03 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

ISF for sure. Other than what was mentioned already I know the suspension is much stiffer on the F especially the older models like the '08.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 IS F or 2011 IS 350 AWD