Thinking of trading my e60 m5 for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 10:06 AM
thewraith1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading my e60 m5 for IS-F

Hi all,

I have a '08 M5 SMG with a few mods that I literally purchased used a little over a month ago, in perfect condition save for a scratch on one of the doors, with a 3 year warranty left on it. I love the car, but I live in the DC Metro area and having recently married- have only one parking spot so had to sell my other car which makes the M5 my dd. In addition, my job has now moved 20 miles out 2 days a week.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of trading someone for the IS-F. I love the M5, it's problem free- but afraid I'll miss the sound, interior quality, and power. In addition, how well do 2 adults fit in the back seat of the IS-f? I could care less about the brand of the car (my last two cars were GT-R's and my Porsche friends gave me constant hell).

Has anyone here switched from an e60 M5 to an IS-F, if so- what are your thoughts? I tried to search for "BMW M5", "e60 M5", "V10 m5" but search terms were too short.

Thanks!

A few pics of the M5

Last edited by thewraith1; 11-05-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-05-12, 10:22 AM
Boostd
Driver

2 adults in the back??? I hurt just thinking about that scenario. My 9 yr old daughter fits about right in the backseat of my IS350.
Old 11-05-12, 10:34 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i can chime in a bit. m5/m6 were other cars i was looking at while buying the F. my best friend drives a low mileage m6 that you can see in the background of the pic below. he even said himself he is kicking himself in the *** that he didn't the isf. fit and finish, we both agree the lexus edges the bimmer out. the isf has a more "updated" look with the gauges, navi, etc. also my isf edges him out from a stop and barely gets beat from a roll which is great since the s85 engine is a v10 500hp. tranny for tranny , lexus is better than his smg, smoother...etc.

yes you can fit four adults 6feet and under. but not comfortably, lol. smaller interior is sportier, you dont feel like you are driving a boat like the m5. but if you need 4 seats all the time, i would say dont even look at the ISF.

m5 is a beautiful car but my conclusion is that the F can be an upgrade to the right buyer if you are coming from m5/m6.

Old 11-05-12, 10:36 AM
thewraith1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies thus far! Do you really have to rev the "F" to get it moving? I had a lot of people tell me that it was necessary with the e60 M5 before I had purchased my first one a few years ago and found that to be total bull****.

Nice looking car isfpower! I hate the M6 (very feminine to me), rear seat room is not a "make it or break it"- but would be nice to have.

Last edited by thewraith1; 11-05-12 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-05-12, 10:47 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL!

That is a clean M5 you have there.

Now you're saying that you will miss the sound, the interior quality, and the power. The IS F nails all three of those.

The sound of the F is amazing. It's not a V10 but our V8s have a unique throaty sound that morphs into a more intense howl after 3500RPM, and this is stock. The F sounds even more beastly If you happen to add aftermarket intake/headers/exhaust. Now if you're referring to sound as in "sound system," you will get mixed opinions. The Mark Levinson system is good but not great. Personally it serves its purpose to my satisfaction but there are others on the boards who have added aftermarket subs to beef it up a little.

The interior quality is arguably one of the best you'll find out there. It doesn't look cheap and the subtle differences in the stitching and the trim makes it stand out from a standard ISx50. There's enough things in there to make it scream "luxury" but it's set up so it doesn't look crowded. Our seats make for a comfortable ride, I drove 8 hours straight in the F a few times and not once did I feel sore from sitting for so long.

As for the power, it is DEFINITELY there. It's very fast for a car its size and putting it in "sport" mode only makes the ride even more fun. Sure, it isn't the fastest car around but you'll definitely get your fair share of neck-breaking and random comments about how you're driving a fast Lexus!

The room in the back is decent. I would say you can fit an average sized person back there comfortably, but 2 people might be too cramped. I'll let the other members here with little children chime in about car seats.

The F is not only a solid car for the reasons above, but it's also very reliable. You can search the forum for IS F reliability and you'll find nothing but good things about it.

Let us know if you decide on getting one! Good luck!
Old 11-05-12, 10:49 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

the F i would say has better throttle response stock for stock. my friend has the sprint booster in his car and now his throttle is perfect. that paired with the m button feels GOOD.

i have the apexi throttle controller on mine now and the car feels rediculous if you want to talk about throttle response and low end torque right off the line (normal driving) . if you ever want to drive my F and in the area, you can do so.

thanks man.
Old 11-05-12, 10:51 AM
thewraith1
Driver School Candidate

Great, I'm over the "having the fastest car out there" thing. Been there and done that (last GT-R had 780ish whp and the one before that was pretty close too), it's not realistic in an everyday driving situation. I can't even remember if I ever "floored" the GT-R's on a public road. Besides, I have a fully track prepped e36 m3 for that purpose if needed. I'm leaning toward the IS-F right now mainly due to MPG's from the M5 which aren't realistic to me with the work situation.

Thanks for the offer, ISFPOWER!!

Last edited by thewraith1; 11-05-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-05-12, 10:58 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

^^ Yeah I forgot to mention that the IS F has pretty decent gas milage for a V8, if driven properly you can squeeze out 24~25MPG, especially if you do a lot of interstate driving.
Old 11-05-12, 10:58 AM
Troy
Driver School Candidate

I actually think the back seats are more comfortable than the front seats in my F
Old 11-05-12, 11:00 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

oh yeah lets not even talk about gas mileage. we both jut took a trip to charlotte on saturday for the car meet/show and he averaged 16 mpg on freeway not in m mode and i averaged 36 mpg using "eco" mode on the apexi throttle controller but i would of still got 32mpg like usual on freeway. that's crazy how that car can be that fast and have great mpg when needed. should almost be a crime.
Old 11-05-12, 11:17 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
the F i would say has better throttle response stock for stock. my friend has the sprint booster in his car and now his throttle is perfect. that paired with the m button feels GOOD.

i have the apexi throttle controller on mine now and the car feels rediculous if you want to talk about throttle response and low end torque right off the line (normal driving) . if you ever want to drive my F and in the area, you can do so.

thanks man.
Forgive my ignorance but we have an M button?
Old 11-05-12, 11:18 AM
thewraith1
Driver School Candidate

He was referring to the M5, sprint booster remaps throttle control and the "M" button is like the "sport" button on the lexus.
Old 11-05-12, 11:19 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by isfpower
i can chime in a bit. M5/m6 were other cars i was looking at while buying the f. my best friend drives a low mileage m6 that you can see in the background of the pic below. he even said himself he is kicking himself in the *** that he didn't the isf. Fit and finish, we both agree the lexus edges the bimmer out. The isf has a more "updated" look with the gauges, navi, etc. Also my isf edges him out from a stop and barely gets beat from a roll which is great since the s85 engine is a v10 500hp. Tranny for tranny , lexus is better than his smg, smoother...etc.

Yes you can fit four adults 6feet and under. But not comfortably, lol. Smaller interior is sportier, you dont feel like you are driving a boat like the m5. But if you need 4 seats all the time, i would say dont even look at the isf.

M5 is a beautiful car but my conclusion is that the f can be an upgrade to the right buyer if you are coming from m5/m6.

Originally Posted by isfpat
forgive my ignorance but we have an m button?
:d:d:d:d:d:d
Old 11-05-12, 11:26 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah got it. Was a little confused because we refer to our manual mode as M mode and BMW has an M button lol.
Old 11-05-12, 11:27 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Ah got it. Was a little confused because we refer to our manual mode as M mode and BMW has an M button lol.
i refer ours to "F" mode, hehehe

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my e60 m5 for IS-F