IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

just did the muffler deletes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 05:11 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default just did the muffler deletes....

sounds awesome on the outside, but very disappointed with the drone. thank God i didnt do the cats which i was going to do but didn't have enough time.

the shop did nice mandrel bends, no rattling with the diffuser or anything like that.

the drone is a bit much though . i came from cars with drone and for some reason, losing that nice quiet interior kind of made me sad, lol.

too many thumbs up from random people today on the sound though. downshift blips are menacing.
Old 10-13-12, 05:28 PM
rc2o6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed about a month after deleting my mufflers that it's not as loud as when I first deleted them (if that makes sense lol).

You can control the drone, which comes around 2000 RPM.

Last edited by rc2o6; 01-30-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 05:32 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about doing this
Old 10-13-12, 05:42 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rc2o6
I noticed about a month after deleting my mufflers that it's not as loud as when I first deleted them (if that makes since lol).

You can control the drone, which comes around 2000 RPM.
that makes me ease my mind since i read that it will get louder with time. i hope they really do quiet down.

yeah i read in an old post that you can control the drone and i know exactly what you are talking about but it's harder than what i thought and you will always get drone on decel, the drone is just bad IMO. at least the mufflers were cut where this process is reversible because im sure i would get tired of it.

for now, they are worth it from how it sounds on the outside. didn't lose any throttle response at all.
Old 10-14-12, 12:07 AM
Petshark
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
sounds awesome on the outside, but very disappointed with the drone. thank God i didnt do the cats which i was going to do but didn't have enough time.

the shop did nice mandrel bends, no rattling with the diffuser or anything like that.

the drone is a bit much though . i came from cars with drone and for some reason, losing that nice quiet interior kind of made me sad, lol.

too many thumbs up from random people today on the sound though. downshift blips are menacing.
Post a picture of how the exhaust looks now.
Old 10-14-12, 12:14 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get how people mod their exhausts, or add an aftermarket exhaust...then complain about drone?

Also, rattling with the diffuser? what diffuser? Our cars don't have diffusers.

did you remove the resonator too or just mufflers?
Old 10-14-12, 12:32 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Petshark
Post a picture of how the exhaust looks now.
i'll try to snap one tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I don't get how people mod their exhausts, or add an aftermarket exhaust...then complain about drone?

did you remove the resonator too or just mufflers?

because not all exhaust set up drones. i've had over 6 exhausts on my 350z and only 1 of them had drone. one set up on that car was twice as loud as the ISF with the deletes now and it still had no low frequency drone like the ISF now.

It's weird, my 350z has horrible road noise, wind noise, etc but the exhausts never droned, i was expecting the quiet interior of the ISF would cancel the resonance through the cabin.

refer to this thread about rattling https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-rattles.html

no, kept the resonator. just the rear two mufflers. the shop kept telling me to run an x pipe and make it a true dual but i wasn't sure if that was a good idea.
Old 10-14-12, 06:10 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

The shop kept telling me to run an x pipe and make it a true dual but i wasn't sure if that was a good idea.
In my case, it was an excellent idea. Now it's just me, but I would never consider running without mufflers and resonators.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-exhaust.html

Originally Posted by Just F Me

With my modified system, I have no drone.

We certainly do have diffusers. The front portion of the exhaust tips are in fact diffusers, and if the tail pipes rub against them, they will rattle.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 10-14-12 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 02:46 PM
Super6
Driver

What's the best way to get rid of the rattle? My driver side borla is rubbing. Ive taken it to a muffler shop and asked them to move the colt on forward and they looked at me like I was a Martian.. Am I the Martian for thinking its that simple?
Old 10-14-12, 03:10 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

i been driving my car with header and all cats deleted with no muffler and love it..lol.. i just installed and iss forged race exhaust and im not loving it because its too quiet.. but i love the way it look tho.
Old 10-14-12, 11:41 PM
JC23
Rookie

I did it on my '12 it sounds amazing but am shopping for a true dual for performance,deleting mufflers will just shed some pounds off the car,i dont really feel drone at all...love it
Old 10-15-12, 12:06 AM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those in CA that have deleted the cats and mufflers, you're not worried about cops for the noise or smog issues with the cat?
Old 10-15-12, 04:42 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JC23
I did it on my '12 it sounds amazing but am shopping for a true dual for performance,deleting mufflers will just shed some pounds off the car,i dont really feel drone at all...love it
Your car is going to be faster if you just delete the cats and mufflers.
Old 10-15-12, 05:34 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

after-market exhaust > muffler delete

to each his/her own, but one of my best friends just went from a muffler delete to the Joe-Z exhaust on Friday, and it sounds WORLDS better. It's a cleaner, smoother growl rather than that retro gargling sound.
Old 10-15-12, 06:49 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ain't loud you ain't liven!

Quick Reply: just did the muffler deletes....