ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   tire pressure questions (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/656564-tire-pressure-questions.html)

2ndGF 09-21-12 01:59 PM

tire pressure questions

What tire pressures are you guys running on stock setup?

At what pressure does the TPMS light come on?

Can you set what pressure you want the light to come on at?

RCB 09-21-12 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndGF (Post 7498397)

1. Refer to the label on the drivers door jamb

2. 29psi if I remember right (that's sort of a guess) , it's in the owners manual

3. No

digger08 09-21-12 04:44 PM

TPMS thresh holds can also be altered in the Techstream. .......the previous owner of my car had them set at 26 psi. Not sure what the maximum tolerance is for this?

Digger08

2ndGF 09-22-12 10:28 AM

I know that 36 is manufacturers suggested psi - i was wondering what you are all running instead - i usually do 35 psi

FD3SISF 09-22-12 11:38 AM

I'm running 40 on the front and 34 on the back. It was the recommended tire pressure for grip and tire life by the race alignment shop when I had my alignment done. I was just gonna do 36psi all around, but when I went to their shop and saw them working on a 69 mustang and a murcielago. I just stick to their recommendation. Haven't tested it yet in the canyons and track.

Just F Me 09-22-12 12:29 PM

Not using recommended tire pressures can lead to uneven tire wear and/or accelerated tire wear and/or decrease in fuel economy (I know that last one is very important to many of us) it's on the door for a reason.

But if you want more grip, run it slightly lower...or better yet, just buy better tires.

Also, unless you have a very high grade tire pressure gauge, you won't know the difference between 36 and 35. I believe our TMPS light comes on at 30psi

ISF001 09-22-12 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndGF (Post 7498397)

I am running 35 in the front and 37 in the rear...recommended by my shop. Who knows...

VicTornin 09-22-12 04:33 PM

I am running 32 all around... Feels fine for me

Supraman16 09-22-12 04:35 PM

It varies for different types of tires. My NItto Invo's which had relatively soft sidewalls did best at 40psi. I'm currently on Michelin Pilot Super sports are the fee very floaty at the same 40psi. I have since brought them down to the Lexus recommended 36psi (as noted on the label on the driver side door) and feel great at these pressures...Darshana S...

psixtc 09-22-12 05:32 PM

The TPMS light should come on if the tire pressure falls below 78% of the set point.

VtotheJ 09-22-12 09:27 PM

My tpms light went on a few days ago and my pressure was ~28 psi. I just reinflated to 36 psi.

CalitriSC 09-22-12 11:24 PM

I run 38psi all around, but thats on aftermarket wheels.

Gymkata 08-10-14 11:30 AM

I figure it is easier adding to this thread than starting a new one.

I just finished a VDI (Vehicle Dynamics Institute) driving course...on road, off road, and vehicle combatives. They taught that vehicle manufacturers often recommend tire pressure levels lower than optimal (efficiency&safety) for ride comfort reasons.

They recommended that you fill your tires to 90% of the max tire pressure listed on the tire sidewall (as long as that is higher than the auto manufacturer recommendations).

My Michelin PSS tires have a max pressure of 50psi, and 90% would be riding around at 45psi front and rear (9psi more than recommended by Lexus). I am trying this out now. The ride is a little firmer, but I haven't pushed the car to see if I feel a different level of grip.

What are your thoughts/experiences on this?

lobuxracer 08-10-14 04:43 PM

I run 44 psi hot in the Bridgestones which turns out to be 32 psi cold. I haven't tracked the PSS yet, but I suspect they'll be similar. However, pressure on the track is very different from pressure on the street. If you want a simple and practical way to check pressure, put white shoe polish stripes across the tread, drive the car as you normally expect to drive it, and adjust the pressure until the white stripe goes away across the full width of the tire.

If you pumped up your tires as high as these guys are recommending on the track, you'd think you were on ice skates after 3 laps.

I8ABMR 08-10-14 04:50 PM

I would stick with 36 cold as recommended by Lexus. Too high and you lose grip and have uneven tire wear, and to low your going to burn up the tires . If your on a track you have to check and adjust. They can go way too high.