HKS SSM Exhaust / Sikky Header Buildup - Dyno Plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 06:07 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Agreed.

And to the point about HKS gains vs. others, honestly, unless you're going to be racing your car, it really doesn't make much of a difference if one exhaust has a 5-10whp gain over another. That's probably not a difference you are going to feel 99% of the time, if at all. It really is more about the sound, because that's something you're going to love (or hate) every single time you jump into your car. I'd definitely pick the exhaust that I think sounds the best over the one that gives me the most power. It seems like that's what you're doing too.
Exactly! At this point, I look forward to driving this car every day. It's my DD so I will gladly give up a few ponies for the smile factor.

Now - if I really had my way, this is what I'd be installing. Ignore the cheesy music and skip to 1:17.

Old 09-05-12, 06:45 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

should be sweet! is JE doing the install?
Old 09-05-12, 06:53 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darbs242
should be sweet! is JE doing the install?
If I was close enough to them they would be! I'm using Heads Up Motorsports in Spartanburg, SC. I couldn't find any local shops that have IS-F experience but these guys seem to know their stuff so hopefully all will go smooth.
Old 09-05-12, 07:44 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The HKS SSM sounds almost identical to the exhaust mod I just did

Old 09-05-12, 08:26 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

VtotheJ - that clip sounds great and you're right, seems very close to the HKS. I was just reading some of your other posts and videos also. I really do love the sound (it's a freaking beast) but my only concern with the 2nd cat and muffler delete is the potential for drone at highway speeds and overall noise level. What are your impressions there? I do a good bit of interstate driving as well as business travel when I might have other acquaintances / customers in the car with me. We frequently make a 2.5 hour trip down I-85 to Atlanta so that is a big concern.

I have many past experiences with removing mufflers / cats and although I know every car is different they all were fairly loud even at lower rpms when under low to moderate load. Actually, many free flowing exhausts on many different makes and models will have the tendency to drone in the 1800 - 2400 rpm range. The HKS system utilizes a design (Helmholtz resonator) that theoretically should eliminate the potential for drone and keep the overall volume down significantly in this situation yet still allow for that great roar under heavy acceleration that we love. Time will tell if this really does the trick for me but I will be sure to post impressions / recordings once we get this rolling.

You can see the Helmholtz resonators to the outside of the mufflers in this picture.

(Photo courtesy N54MPower HKS install thread)
Old 09-05-12, 09:07 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Meanstreak - with my current exhaust setup it does drone at 2k RPM's, then again most aftermarket exhausts do the same thing. I have done a good amount of highway driving so far and it is tolerable. I am able to control the drone, for example putting it in 7th gear when cruising. For anyone with this mod, I would recommend keeping the RPM's either below 2k or higher than 2k, but not at 2k, as that is where it drones most. This is pretty easy on the highway depending on if you're doing 60, 70, or 80mph. It is hard to explain, but the drone really is manageable. What I love most about the mod is its dual nature. When I want it to sound like a beast, I use manual mode, and if I want it to be quiet and tamed, I just use D mode and take it easy on the gas, and the car selects the lowest possible gear. I think that is also the benefit of having an exhaust mod on an automatic car. This really helped when I was being tailed by a cop for nearly half a mile in a 25mph zone. I just threw it in D mode and took it easy, and the car pretty much sounds stock.

Hope this helps, best of luck with the HKS. It really is one of the nicest designed exhausts & very unique sounding IMO. Post up an extensive review and some sound clips!
Old 09-05-12, 09:15 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

YES - Jekyll / Hyde mode is one of my favorite 'features' of the F. I use it all the time to get the evil eye from the wife. She secretly loves it too. Thanks for the input and enjoy the new exhaust!
Old 09-06-12, 06:58 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Exactly! At this point, I look forward to driving this car every day. It's my DD so I will gladly give up a few ponies for the smile factor.

Now - if I really had my way, this is what I'd be installing. Ignore the cheesy music and skip to 1:17.

iCode Titanium Exhaust
It could just be the iCode video, but I think the HKS sounds much better. Like you, I've watched hundreds of IS-F exhaust videos and that HKS one is still my favorite. I have it bookmarked and listen to it every few days or so. I'm very much looking forward to your documented journey.
Old 09-06-12, 07:24 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DekNgo
It could just be the iCode video, but I think the HKS sounds much better. Like you, I've watched hundreds of IS-F exhaust videos and that HKS one is still my favorite. I have it bookmarked and listen to it every few days or so. I'm very much looking forward to your documented journey.
Thanks. Hoping the HKS system will be delivered tomorrow and we can schedule the first part of the install / dynos for next week!

Speaking of exhaust videos, here's another unique one - very exotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ATov9-BwOtQ
Old 09-18-12, 11:55 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Well guys - looks as though I made some empty promises. The shop I was working with was not able to come through on their commitments. I ordered the "in stock" HKS Exhaust 2 weeks ago and was finally told today that it wasn't available. Due to this and several other reasons, I have cancelled my order and build plan with this facility and will be starting from scratch. If anyone has any suggestions for a reputable shop, preferably with ISF experience, between Charlotte and Atlanta let me know. Still eager to get this completed. I may change the order around and install the headers first. I will start a new thread when the time comes.

Updated initial post.
Old 09-18-12, 12:51 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Well guys - looks as though I made some empty promises. The shop I was working with was not able to come through on their commitments. I ordered the "in stock" HKS Exhaust 2 weeks ago and was finally told today that it wasn't available. Due to this and several other reasons, I have cancelled my order and build plan with this facility and will be starting from scratch. If anyone has any suggestions for a reputable shop, preferably with ISF experience, between Charlotte and Atlanta let me know. Still eager to get this completed. I may change the order around and install the headers first. I will start a new thread when the time comes.

Updated initial post.
Bummer...
Old 09-19-12, 09:28 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buddy... any reputable shop can install the headers.. i had a shop who had never ever seen an ISF install the headers w/o any problems... order the joez and call it a day.
Old 09-19-12, 11:07 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep, same thing happened to me aswell ordering my rear section of the HKS, was told it was in stock/country and then was told otherwise. However, I did receive my mid-section of the HKS and it sounds wonderful with the factory mufflers! I have since added the Borla rear section to it being that I have no patience and got tired of waiting for my rear HKS section.
Old 05-01-13, 06:01 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

UPDATE 5-1-13

So 6 months later and the HKS / Header buildup is complete... The details changed a bit from the original plan so I started a new thread. It's now PPE Headers / Custom Mid-pipe and HKS SSM exhaust. See the new thread for details and results:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-progress.html

--
Todd
Old 02-02-16, 06:20 PM
JamISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hks ssm

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Meanstreak - with my current exhaust setup it does drone at 2k RPM's, then again most aftermarket exhausts do the same thing. I have done a good amount of highway driving so far and it is tolerable. I am able to control the drone, for example putting it in 7th gear when cruising. For anyone with this mod, I would recommend keeping the RPM's either below 2k or higher than 2k, but not at 2k, as that is where it drones most. This is pretty easy on the highway depending on if you're doing 60, 70, or 80mph. It is hard to explain, but the drone really is manageable. What I love most about the mod is its dual nature. When I want it to sound like a beast, I use manual mode, and if I want it to be quiet and tamed, I just use D mode and take it easy on the gas, and the car selects the lowest possible gear. I think that is also the benefit of having an exhaust mod on an automatic car. This really helped when I was being tailed by a cop for nearly half a mile in a 25mph zone. I just threw it in D mode and took it easy, and the car pretty much sounds stock.

Hope this helps, best of luck with the HKS. It really is one of the nicest designed exhausts & very unique sounding IMO. Post up an extensive review and some sound clips!
I agree on how to control the drone. But I also have a full catback genuine hks exhaust system running with stock headers and I have 0 drone on all rpm's, idling, slow driving all the way to cruising at 90mph, still no drone that's why I love this exhaust so much. IMHO it's a lot quieter and smoother than oem exhaust. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: HKS SSM Exhaust / Sikky Header Buildup - Dyno Plan