IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 10:39 AM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been keeping up with this thread a lot because my F shifts pretty hard on a cold start in the mornings. Does anyone else's do that?
Old 09-09-12, 10:41 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I feel the same way here. I don't expect them to do much...it's 17.5k miles over the power train warranty. If they had a thing in the manual saying...you need to change your trans fluid at 100k, but depending on your driving habits, then you may look at changing it sooner, then that's my bad for not staying on top of it.

So does that mean...since it doesn't say to make sure you always put gas in the car before it runs out, and it runs out...do i blame Lexus for not putting that in the manual? Maybe...but the transmission, it says it doesn't need to get serviced, and clearly...it does. So did i follow the manufactures' guidelines? I think i did.... and it still failed.... I understand following guidelines does not guarantee that the transmission will last forever, but it's a guideline.

Every dealership that I've called says that you don't have to change the trans oil until 100k miles. If a service advisor told you, you should change your trans oil, and you're at 87.5k, i don't think most of us would do it....that's a lot of life left...for some of us, that could be a years worth of driving....

We'll see what they say...though most people on the forum think I'm crazy for not fighting this to the very end, i really don't have the patience or time to fight a big corporate. Sometimes, you take a hit, move on with your life and that's something I would do.

Plenty of people PMing me willing to buy the car for 18k...i mean, that doesn't do anything for me. I can trade it in and be done with it. Where as a private sale, i gotta wait for the person to come look at it, you can't really test drive it, etc, might take months to sell it.
Yeah, since it says in the manual the transmission fluid doesn't need to be serviced, but the Lexus service department is saying the transmission failed because the fluid should have been changed, I think you have a VERY good argument. Of course they (Lexus) is going to put up at least a small fight hoping that you'll give up and go away, and if you are not willing to engage, then yeah, you're not going to get them to do what you want. There's a difference between giving it a try and going to all out war with them. It's seems you're giving it a try at least, which is good. I agree that an all out war would be time consuming, and only you know whether or not you have that kind of time.

I would also agree that there's no incentive for you to sell it privately for $18K if you've got that much on the table as a trade. For it to be worth it, I'd guess someone would have to give you a bit more than the trade offer. I still think getting it fixed for cheap and then selling it with a "new" tranny for around $28K-$30K is the way you'll make the most money.
Old 09-09-12, 10:42 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonTN
I've been keeping up with this thread a lot because my F shifts pretty hard on a cold start in the mornings. Does anyone else's do that?
Try waiting until you engine RPM's go under 1K which should take about 30-40 seconds and see if you still have harsh shifts...
Old 09-09-12, 11:24 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjthind
Try waiting until you engine RPM's go under 1K which should take about 30-40 seconds and see if you still have harsh shifts...
^^^Do you even own an IS F? I thought it's someone else in your family that owns one but you don't?

IS F will shift hard / not smoothly until the oil reaches desired temps...i wouldn't push the car hard until you get 2 oil temp bars.
Old 09-09-12, 11:31 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Do you even own an IS F? I thought it's someone else in your family that owns one but you don't?

IS F will shift hard / not smoothly until the oil reaches desired temps...i wouldn't push the car hard until you get 2 oil temp bars.
No I don't, it's my bro's but I live with him in his condo, so I get drive it 2 or 3 times a week, I do the same thing as you, never push it hard until the oil temp gets toward middle, but it never shifts hard for me when its cold out but then again I have to go through 3-4 minutes of residential driving(under 30 MPH) before I get on to a main road...
Old 09-09-12, 01:20 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same way here. I don't expect them to do much...it's 17.5k miles over the power train warranty. If they had a thing in the manual saying...you need to change your trans fluid at 100k, but depending on your driving habits, then you may look at changing it sooner, then that's my bad for not staying on top of it.

So does that mean...since it doesn't say to make sure you always put gas in the car before it runs out, and it runs out...do i blame Lexus for not putting that in the manual? Maybe...but the transmission, it says it doesn't need to get serviced, and clearly...it does. So did i follow the manufactures' guidelines? I think i did.... and it still failed.... I understand following guidelines does not guarantee that the transmission will last forever, but it's a guideline.

Every dealership that I've called says that you don't have to change the trans oil until 100k miles. If a service advisor told you, you should change your trans oil, and you're at 87.5k, i don't think most of us would do it....that's a lot of life left...for some of us, that could be a years worth of driving....

We'll see what they say...though most people on the forum think I'm crazy for not fighting this to the very end, i really don't have the patience or time to fight a big corporate. Sometimes, you take a hit, move on with your life and that's something I would do.

Plenty of people PMing me willing to buy the car for 18k...i mean, that doesn't do anything for me. I can trade it in and be done with it. Where as a private sale, i gotta wait for the person to come look at it, you can't really test drive it, etc, might take months to sell it.
Its really going to boil down to how far you want to take this. Your best argument is that you did all the necessary maintenance to the car within the manufacturer's guidelines. Lexus's argument is that you're out of warranty and there's nothing you can do.

Personally, I believe trans fluid needs to be changed and conventional wisdom is to do it at 30K miles intervals. This is pretty universal and I don't see a Lexus trans being any different. The problem is if you do a flush wrong or if you miss an interval and then replace the fluid you can seriously mess up your trans big time. So I think the bean counters at Lexus came up with the idea that by stating the trans fluid is "lifetime" they can avoid warranty issues that arise out of techs who mess up a trans flush or customers who forget a trans flush and then do it at the next major service. That way when anything goes wrong, its conveniently outside the warranty period.

Arguing with Lexus is only going to take you so far and I suspect they are going to stand their ground on the out of warranty argument. If you want to pursue it further you need legal counsel. There was a case where a guy bought a pre-owned AMG and sued Mercedes when he kept dumping more and more money into repairs. I do remember that his main argument was design defect and his attorney had testimony from an engineer stating that a certain aspect of the engine design in the AMG Benz was all kinds of messed up. I don't remember the outcome of the case, but it goes to show how far this guy was willing to go.
Old 09-09-12, 02:02 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^For my 30k I want to make sure the dealer checks for transmission fluid leakage
Old 09-09-12, 02:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
^For my 30k I want to make sure the dealer checks for transmission fluid leakage
It's in the list of required checks. If they fail to check it, they're on the hook if anything goes wrong, not you.
Old 09-09-12, 03:07 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Above is what was missed after multiple services and inspections at the dealer.

This leaking sensor was uncovered, when I remove the skid plate, just to have a look.

Everything was covered by warranty, but the point being there are not out there looking for issues on your behalf. The sensor was on the top of the transmission and the seal failed, the primary and secondary valve bodies needed to be removed to reach it. Labor was extensive.

Digger08
Old 09-09-12, 03:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Let us know what they tell you on Monday, hopefully they will show a goodwill gesture and take care of the transmission.
Old 09-10-12, 01:18 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So, this thread bings uo very many thoughts andquestions. I remeber though at 45k asking the dealer to do a tranny flush even though it states the fluid is life long, etc. They aid they could not warranty trans if I requested a change. But now Im at 81K I am considering this service...Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-12, 04:04 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by StealthFF
So, this thread bings uo very many thoughts andquestions. I remeber though at 45k asking the dealer to do a tranny flush even though it states the fluid is life long, etc. They aid they could not warranty trans if I requested a change. But now Im at 81K I am considering this service...Any thoughts?
Just as I suspected. Lexus is trying to cover their butts. By making this a "lifetime" item, any alteration of it will void the warranty and by the time the damage is done ie. not changing the trans fluid when it needs to be routinely changed, it will be outside the warranty period for the owner to make a claim. This shields Lexus from any accidental damage done by their techs during routine trans service. This is outrageous.
Old 09-10-12, 04:23 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not like you describe, but when I'm shifting from park into reverse to pull out, (when the car is cold) I will hear a rather harsh THUNK as the transmission gets into R gear. This happens just about every other time regardless of ambient temperature.

My previous theory was that because my parking brake is not doing its job (it needs to be adjusted!) and the car was rolling forwards/backwards a bit after parking, it was causing the tranny to lock up. Does anyone else get a loud thunk when putting it into R from a cold start?

Also, after spirited driving on the way to work (not too spirited -- no more than a few 3-4th gear pulls on the freeway and maybe a few 2nd gear pulls on the frontage roads) it will have a burnt transmission smell after I park it. I've only had the car for ~2,000 miles (got it used with 16,500 miles) and it's been doing it since day one. Lately I have been keeping the revs below 5,000rpm out of worry and thinking maybe I should report the smell to the dealer on my next service visit because it could be a leak. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/experiences here?

This is an interesting thread, but I guess it's also making me a bit paranoid.
Old 09-10-12, 04:33 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car does the loud thunk too when I shift to R when the car is cold. It hasn't done it lately though.
Old 09-10-12, 04:42 PM
TheBatman
Driver

As a general rule, hard shifts on a cold morning when the engine is cold is normal behavior. Once everything circulates and warms up it should be smooth operation. When the transmissions fail the symptoms are almost universally the same: Slamming into gears especially when shifting from P to R or D, when in gear it feels like you're driving on gravel, RPMs just shoot up and down wildly while driving, a delay in engagement when shifting into a gear.

Trust me, you will know when your trans is going. Its unmistakable. But threads like this can make one paranoid about hard shifts in the cold.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse