Originally Posted by blitz_714
Just another F me, it keep getting better and better akakkakak
Maybe should just drive it back up north now...LOL
Old 09-19-12, 03:04 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Interesting...so a remanufactured transmission showed up...but it got shipped to Lexus Sacramento in northern California instead....GREAT........
LOL time to drive back north! At least its in the same state as us now!
Old 09-20-12, 09:31 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

UPDATE: Violet (yep, that's what I named my car) goes in tomorrow for her new transmission. I hope to get her back either on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 09-22-12, 09:38 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm certainly no expert and i didn't want to read all...11 pages! lol despite, if your cars revving freely (ie revving in gear prior to actually moving), your car's transmission is on its way out. no expert, but if you're desperate, you could always try a flush (although i hear these trannys are lifetime) and reset. that or drive it like you stole it and see what happens (can reset of exacerbate issue).
Old 09-22-12, 09:42 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Well...if you read the thread, you'd know exactly what's going on....
Old 09-29-12, 09:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

OK...new update...

Got my IS F back yesterday...everything seems good so far. No rattles, car drives perfectly straight, everything works. My car was given back to me in the condition that I received it. So...as of now, all is good and the dealership (Crown Lexus of Ontario, CA), did a good job. The car obviously shifts so much nicer now...i mean, a whole lot nicer! Reverse works so that's good.

They found that the water pump was leaking pretty bad, so they replaced that and I had to pay for it. I know the some 08s had the problem, I didn't think mine did, but I guess i didn't look carefully enough. It was leaking right in front of the engine itself and the coolant actually dried up and almost crystalized. Dealer gave me a deal on the installation because the whole engine was out of the car. I wish the service advisor at the dealership could send me the pics of the engine out of the car and all that, but it's on his iPad and he can't email from the ipad for whatever reason, but he took pics for me of the engine out of the car etc.

I also replaced the rear main engine seal while the tranny was out based on their recommendations. I was thinking "if it's not broke, why replace it", then again, the transmission is already out, and last thing I want is to pay another $1000 in labor to put in a $50 dollar part.

Dealer told me when they had the engine out of the car, they noticed that one of my exhaust manifolds was cracked and broken...so the dealership (I'm sure with authorization from Lexus) fixed that and replaced the gaskets free of charge. If I had to pay for it, that's another $1500. With that said, the car is MUCH more responsive now that everything is flowing the way it's suppose to.

I wonder why it would crack? Now all you guys with Sikky Headers and PPE headers, I hope the quality of the welds are really good. If OEM ones go bad and I remember reading some of you have had headers that don't fit correctly and also using two gaskets or something???

One thing that I noticed, but it's not related, is my sunroof, when in the tilt position, it rattles...gonna try and figure out what's loose tomorrow.

Overall, I guess I'm just happy this is all over...roughly $3600 later. Better than $6000 the original estimate or $11,000 estimate!

Last edited by Just F Me; 09-29-12 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 10:18 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Great to hear your F is back on the road. As far as the double gaskets, it was the donut gaskets that some members had to double up on not the headers to exhaust manifold gaskets.
Old 09-29-12, 10:33 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amgone75
Great to hear your F is back on the road. As far as the double gaskets, it was the donut gaskets that some members had to double up on not the headers to exhaust manifold gaskets.
Thanks for the clarification David. Are you still in Japan?
Old 09-29-12, 11:20 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I never went...still in SD
Old 09-30-12, 01:12 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...just like a new ride and one less little thing to worry with new tranny lifetime fluids.

OK...new update...
Overall, I guess I'm just happy this is all over...roughly $3600 later. Better than $6000 the original estimate or $11,000 estimate!
Old 09-30-12, 01:18 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Lifetime tranny fluid my ***! LOL! I got a sample of the fluid that was in the old transmission (it's what the dealer put in the bottle, for all I know, could be motor oil since it's just black). I'm going to send it in to Blackstone Labs on Monday and will post up the results and compare it to Lobuxracer's results when he sent his transmission oil.

I was talking to one of my other friends that's heavily into the BMW scene. He says all the new BMWs come with "Extended Lifetime Transmission Fluid"
Old 09-30-12, 12:18 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great to hear.. When I went to install my sickly headers my factory manifolds where cracked as well due to the way they are designed with the flared edges and a seperate clamp to mount then to the block in not surprised.. Many if you with factory manifolds are prob cracked.. But anywho interesting now you have a new car!
Old 09-30-12, 05:47 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StealthFF
Great to hear.. When I went to install my sickly headers my factory manifolds where cracked as well due to the way they are designed with the flared edges and a seperate clamp to mount then to the block in not surprised.. Many if you with factory manifolds are prob cracked.. But anywho interesting now you have a new car!
This is interesting! I bet mine has been cracked for probably a good 3-5 months now because now that it's fixed, I definitely hear a sound difference. It was hard to know before because I did the muffler/resonator delete. I wonder if that's why they replaced my factory exhaust manifold free of charge knowing there are issues like you mentioned?

Also, I made an observation yesterday that maybe you guys can check out as well. Yesterday when I was driving, I had a drink in my cup holder. I distinctly remember before that my drink would get warm in the cup holder. Yesterday, no such thing happened. Before it would be warm regardless of my driving style...I wonder if that was a sign that the transmission was running a bit warmer than usual?
Old 09-30-12, 06:59 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is interesting! I bet mine has been cracked for probably a good 3-5 months now because now that it's fixed, I definitely hear a sound difference. It was hard to know before because I did the muffler/resonator delete. I wonder if that's why they replaced my factory exhaust manifold free of charge knowing there are issues like you mentioned?

Also, I made an observation yesterday that maybe you guys can check out as well. Yesterday when I was driving, I had a drink in my cup holder. I distinctly remember before that my drink would get warm in the cup holder. Yesterday, no such thing happened. Before it would be warm regardless of my driving style...I wonder if that was a sign that the transmission was running a bit warmer than usual?
I dont know about that cause sometimes mine gets hot sometimes it does not. I have never been able to figure out the cup holder thing. It also heats up in my moms Gx 460 also so i doubt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse