IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exhaust / Heat Wrap for exhaust and headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 01:44 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
DEI says you’ll get four to five years for the average person out of the titanium wrap. I’d say that’s enough to avoid wrapping unless you plan on removing your headers on a routine basis. That answers whether or not I’m going to be doing that.
During my research, this was exactly why I decided against getting my headers wrapped and going with the pricier ceramic coating option instead.
Old 06-04-18, 03:13 PM
GS430FTW
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Just dropped the headers for Black Ceramic Coating, and no Wrapping.
Thanks Everyone for sharing.
Old 06-04-18, 11:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If I were going to coat a header today, I would use Cerakote. These videos should tell you enough about it to make a clear decision:

No, I have no business affiliation with Cerakote, but I've never seen a coating system as resilient as this. Thanks to the guy who used Cerakote on his IS F calipers!
Old 06-06-18, 12:30 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If I were going to coat a header today, I would use Cerakote. These videos should tell you enough about it to make a clear decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUwOR4Tq10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzpS-5OfyUU

No, I have no business affiliation with Cerakote, but I've never seen a coating system as resilient as this. Thanks to the guy who used Cerakote on his IS F calipers!
That is quite interesting. Something to think about, was going to go back to swain white lightening that I used before on turbo manifolds.
Old 06-06-18, 05:31 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I had my PPE headers cerakoted about a year ago before I got them installed. Majority of the ISF guys I know opted for swain but I didn't see the additional wait and cost worth it vs getting this done quickly and supporting a local business.
Old 06-06-18, 09:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Swain was the go to for NASCAR for a long time. Cerakote makes Swain look like old tech.

I might have to start a build thread in a few months. This year is when I fix a lot of long term issues with my car and make it a lot more track worthy. Might could even afford a few track weekends despite the 2 new rug rats! Headers are definitely a part of that effort for sure.
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (06-07-18)
Old 06-06-18, 09:50 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Lance,

Glad your going to get some headers!! No doubt you'll be happy with the performance increase
Old 06-06-18, 09:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Lance,

Glad your going to get some headers!! No doubt you'll be happy with the performance increase
Tip of the iceberg. Lots and lots more to that. I just won't be doing the roll cage yet.
MileHIFcar (06-06-18)
Old 06-07-18, 06:01 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I might have to start a build thread in a few months. This year is when I fix a lot of long term issues with my car and make it a lot more track worthy. Might could even afford a few track weekends despite the 2 new rug rats! Headers are definitely a part of that effort for sure.
Tip of the iceberg. Lots and lots more to that. I just won't be doing the roll cage yet.
Nice Looking forward to following this & potentially learning more about the ISF along the way.

I love my car. It's come a long way from stock in performance & handling, but there are still plenty of improvements to be made as I slowly turn it into my vision of the ultimate "sleeper sedan" for weekend & track day fun.

-Mike
Old 04-16-20, 11:24 AM
Jimi69
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Bringing this thread back from the dead.....

I recently purchased a set of headers (not coated) and was thinking about buying some wrap because according to RR-Racing's website, it says...

"RR-Racing recommends using 2" wide titanium DEI heat insulation with these headers. We also recommend wrapping the starter with heat insulation when the headers are installed."

However, I know this thread is old, but it appears that everyone is against wrapping the headers.

Has something changed over the past 4 years? Why is RR-Racing recommending to wrap the headers? They obviously know their stuff and have done plenty of testing....

I know this is an old thread. But to answer your question about rr racing recommending wrapping headers. I just spoke to Simon at rr racing and he said ceramic coated headers need no wrapping and seriously suggested not to do so. He mentioned only wrap headers if you purchased the ones without the ceramic coating.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-16-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 11:35 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimi69
Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Bringing this thread back from the dead.....

I recently purchased a set of headers (not coated) and was thinking about buying some wrap because according to RR-Racing's website, it says...

"RR-Racing recommends using 2" wide titanium DEI heat insulation with these headers. We also recommend wrapping the starter with heat insulation when the headers are installed."

However, I know this thread is old, but it appears that everyone is against wrapping the headers.

Has something changed over the past 4 years? Why is RR-Racing recommending to wrap the headers? They obviously know their stuff and have done plenty of testing....

I know this is an old thread. But to answer your question about rr racing recommending wrapping headers. I just spoke to Simon at rr racing and he said ceramic coated headers need no wrapping and seriously suggested not to do so. He mentioned only wrap headers if you purchased the ones without the ceramic coating.
Thank you! Good to know! They should probably clarify that on their site if they haven't done so already. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-16-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 03:38 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 107 Posts

Highly recommend Swaintech coating for maximum heat retention. RR Racing can have your headers shipped directly there. I've been using them for over 10 years on a bunch of applications, including high heat turbo manifolds. Their material is THICK

https://swaintech.com/

MileHIFcar (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 04:07 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

....Yes sir! I got mine Swain coated when I did my headers and like you said their coating is thick for sure! Don't think you can go wrong with either Swain or Cerakote

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 04-16-20 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 06:33 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it recommended to wrap/protect your starter, even if you have wrapped or coated your headers?