IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exhaust / Heat Wrap for exhaust and headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 09:02 PM
yuk3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing there are planty of other folks that are running the same header and exhaust setup as you on this board without any issue of melting any surrounding items. I think you should be good without the wraps.
Old 08-30-12, 09:18 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does he want you to wrap your mufflers and exhaust tips, too??
Old 08-31-12, 04:56 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good results can be had with wrap and/or proper heat shielding... but as already mentioned, corrosion issues will result with the wrap. I wouldn't consider using it with anything but a 304 or higher grade steel.
Old 08-31-12, 05:18 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine aren't wrapped, and if something was going to melt it would have happened by now. i wouldn't wrap um.
Old 08-31-12, 07:13 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are only so many parts that are close enough to be susceptible to heat damage and they are on the right bank. The starter and tranny cooler lines are what comes to mind but those parts are already protected.

The only other part to maybe worry about would be the joint on the steering shaft. I don't really think anything will happen to it and if something does it would be long term. If it starts to fail later in life I can't imagine it being to expensive and it takes 10 min to change.

The only thing I protected was the rear O2 sensor wire that runs along the trans. I took both connectors out of the clips and moved them away from the headers. I did this as something to protect from rubbing and heat but I don't even think it will really help much.

As you can tell I have no heat wrap and agree with everyone that it's not a good move. Like Lobuxracer said it will just cause corrosion.
Old 08-31-12, 07:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

To all those that say it is a bad idea, well, kinda... Corrosion is the ~only~ downside to wrapping them - every other aspect of it would be a benefit - temperature reduction in the engine bay, keeping exhaust gases as hot as possible speeds them along the exhaust faster which can actually make more power, and protection for vital parts close to the exhaust...

So, don't be quite so negative to his mechanic - he is suggesting a performance improver and something that will protect the engine components... perfect for a street driven car, perhaps not, but definitely not a huge negative as you all are suggesting...
Old 08-31-12, 07:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Here's an almost good article on the subject. Everything he says is good until he says a cooler running engine is better and it's possible to over scavenge. Those two statements show his complete lack of understanding basic engine physics. Other than that, it's a pretty fair treatment of the subject.

One thing to keep in mind - there is no downside to ceramic coatings except cost. There are definitely downsides to wraps, and there is definitely a downside to leaving the metal uncoated, even if it's 304 SS, especially if you live in a place where the roads get salted for snow.
Old 08-31-12, 07:58 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

don't wrap it...the headers have a dual layer of coating. wrap is just added weight that isn't necessary.
Old 08-31-12, 10:04 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting article, unfortunately, it only speaks of material durability and corrosion. What about performance, emissions, and underhood temperatures? Again, I'm not saying wrapping is the answer... but they only touched on the negatives.
Old 08-31-12, 02:00 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Here's an almost good article on the subject. Everything he says is good until he says a cooler running engine is better and it's possible to over scavenge. Those two statements show his complete lack of understanding basic engine physics. Other than that, it's a pretty fair treatment of the subject.

One thing to keep in mind - there is no downside to ceramic coatings except cost. There are definitely downsides to wraps, and there is definitely a downside to leaving the metal uncoated, even if it's 304 SS, especially if you live in a place where the roads get salted for snow.
Thanks for all of your detailed input!
Old 09-02-12, 04:45 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wrap will end up scratching the jet hot coating plus keep in moisture when it rains outside...both are bad Mmm-kay
Old 05-16-16, 10:00 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Bringing this thread back from the dead.....

I recently purchased a set of headers (not coated) and was thinking about buying some wrap because according to RR-Racing's website, it says...

"RR-Racing recommends using 2" wide titanium DEI heat insulation with these headers. We also recommend wrapping the starter with heat insulation when the headers are installed."

However, I know this thread is old, but it appears that everyone is against wrapping the headers.

Has something changed over the past 4 years? Why is RR-Racing recommending to wrap the headers? They obviously know their stuff and have done plenty of testing....

Thanks!
Old 05-17-16, 11:06 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Interested in hearing on this as well? Would be nice to hear from PPE/Sikky or RR-Racing on this topic......
Old 05-17-16, 11:20 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Bringing this thread back from the dead..... I recently purchased a set of headers (not coated) and was thinking about buying some wrap because according to RR-Racing's website, it says... "RR-Racing recommends using 2" wide titanium DEI heat insulation with these headers. We also recommend wrapping the starter with heat insulation when the headers are installed." However, I know this thread is old, but it appears that everyone is against wrapping the headers. Has something changed over the past 4 years? Why is RR-Racing recommending to wrap the headers? They obviously know their stuff and have done plenty of testing.... Thanks!
I titanium coated my ppe headers. I think that's the right way to do it. Heat wrap makes it thicker and harder to install, condensation and it also only insulates the outside. Coating does both inside and outside which help the exhaust gases exit faster
Old 05-17-16, 11:47 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

How much did that cost you to titanium coat your headers?

Quick Reply: Exhaust / Heat Wrap for exhaust and headers