IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Member Intro

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 07:38 AM
nonford
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Intro

Hello Club Lexus Members! Well, I have been a long time BMW member and pretty much had a variety of vehicles with BMW. From a 323, to 335, 550, M3 and recently the M6. The worse batch was the 335 and the best was the 08 550. I was thinking of going back to an M3 (11 or 12), HOWEVER, one day when I took my wife's 2010 IS 250 in for her state inspection and free oil change, I saw an IS-F there and her salesman and I took it out. I was very impressed with the car and very familiar with the IS brand, but didn't realize how the F performed. It was a Silver 2012 with everything on it (ML, PA, upgraded seats and all). I really liked it, and was kind of stumped on what to do. He had a friend who worked for Moritz BMW and told me that they just got a 2011 F trade in, exact same car I drove but 15K less, and it only had 7K on it. Needless to say, that made my mind up and I got a great trade in for my M6.

This car is very unique as I don't see them often, think I saw only 2 in a years time in the DFW area. That's what I like about the M6 too. Love the car and performance, and I have been lurking this forum since my wife bought her IS 2 years ago. You guys are awesome and I am glad I have all this experience to tap when and if I need it. I love working on my cars and some of the DIY here I have read top to bottom. So, appreciate the company and look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

Sorry for the long intro post.
Old 08-26-12, 07:40 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome I am sure you will enjoy the car.
Old 08-26-12, 08:04 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Welcome and that is a great story. I believe once you have some time under your belt with the F, you will truly see the value as well as the performance this car has to offer. Not only do you not see many on the road but there isn't a lot written about the F as all the hype seems to go to BMW but I can say, there are a whole lot more people on the forums talking about their move from BMW to the F than the opposite.

We need to get a group of area owners together and head to the Cars and Coffee event in Plano which is a sight to see. If you have not been there, 1,000 cars plus!
Old 08-26-12, 08:14 AM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and congrats, let the modding begin
Old 08-26-12, 08:41 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Awesome pick up and welcome! I'm curious as to:
1.) Why you thought the 550 was better than the M3 and M6
2.) What made you want to trade in the M6?

I used to have a 335i and my wife used to have an IS250. The IS-F combines everything I liked about my wife's car with performance that far surpasses the 335i. You'll love the car!
Old 08-26-12, 08:51 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats and welcome
Old 08-26-12, 08:56 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the F family. Are you into modding the car or stock is fine with you?
Old 08-26-12, 09:04 AM
VicTornin
Driver

Welcome.. Enjoy the F.
Old 08-26-12, 09:21 AM
nonford
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbb
Awesome pick up and welcome! I'm curious as to:
1.) Why you thought the 550 was better than the M3 and M6
2.) What made you want to trade in the M6?

I used to have a 335i and my wife used to have an IS250. The IS-F combines everything I liked about my wife's car with performance that far surpasses the 335i. You'll love the car!
On the 550, it was solid, could not build a relationship with a BMW SA!!! NO problems what so ever and it road like the wind. I should have kept it too. The big plus to it, was it was EASY to work on and not that costly for parts if out of warranty.

I had a year left of warranty on the M6, and since the M5 and M6 are rare, high performance vehicles, problems are expected and will happen, it's the nature of these vehicles. That year left, saved me some coin in trading, so i took advantage of it. They are very hard to work on under the hood and costs are high for oem parts. And that's all you should be using on these (my belief). No doubt about it, these vehicles are true performers, especially on the top end, many vehicles cant touch them, including the F (don't mean to start anything here, but it is what it is). From the dig, to 100, plenty of cars can compete, but past that point, many are weeded out. However, the +100 speeds are reserved to closed streets and not on public roads, along with any other competitions. I WILL NEVER compete on a public road, these days you really need to be disciplined to not engage. There's SO MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE. and if you do, bad things usually result from it.

Sorry for being winded, but bottom line, I had a great M6, got well acquainted with an SA , had fun, but I get bored with cars quick and move on to something new. Plus, I dont think I really lost that much, but gained reliability. I like the looks, the performance, and it is a great all around vehicle. Thats me, othesr can disagree and that fine too. It's my money and decision.

And, one thing I learned when I was a kid, there will alwys be some one FASTER

I also find it funny how alot of the BMW forums are lit up with the fake tail pipes on the F. Hmm, have you heard the stereo on the new M5 and M6??? Now that's freakin hilarious!!!
Seen the back end of a new 750? Just saying....
Old 08-26-12, 09:35 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Jumping out of an M6 as the warranty is about to expire makes perfect sense. I have driven a few of the last-gen 5 series and I think they make great daily cruisers. I never drove a 550i, but I can see that car being nicer than the 535 and 528s that I drove for sure.

Well congrats again on the new pick up, and post some pictures already!
Old 08-26-12, 09:48 AM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new pick up and for making the switch...
Old 08-26-12, 09:52 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome
Old 08-26-12, 10:12 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations...you will love the performance/reliability relationship of this car
Old 08-26-12, 10:23 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Congrats and welcome to the F family.
Old 08-26-12, 11:57 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the F family !!!!

Quick Reply: New Member Intro