IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 09:56 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by HurtadoISF
Hey Figs I know you are very knowledgeable, I just installed 18k/14k spring rate coilovers and R compound tires for the track and I am FBO. I have a track day next Monday but do not know where I should start my dampning settings?
I'm not a pro at all, but with my previous BC racing and current HKS I tend to switch between long distance driving, daily driving, and autox days. I'd say go through the different settings and see what feels best for you.
ie: long distance I want it soft and don't care if ride is floaty, so I go 25 from full stiff
daily driving on my HKS with 16/10 rates, I have it set at 13 from full stiff
autox/twisty road fun days I drop down to 3 or 5 clicks from full stiff.
Never had the BC Racing booklet, but HKS one states that every time I change to clicks to go to full stiff first, and then click down. Also, you apparently should never go full stiff or full soft. Sadly I did on my BC, and perhaps that's why they start going out in the front after 50k miles(that and plenty of bottoming out on **** roads).

I'd say play around with them and see what works best for your driving. Too stiff, and the car tends to fly over bumps and jars, rather than soak and absorb them. Too soft, and the car is too loose.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-20, 05:27 PM
ameliorate
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIGS
These are the rates we suggest based on the balance of the car, but also keep in mind a lot can be done to further improve rear end bumpsteer (waggle) with our other suspension components.
The 16/12 setup will give you a lot more dynamic damping settings to adjust without risking too much travel. The 14/10 setup is only for those looking for a little drop and no plans to modify anything else (tires, power, braking.) BC makes a great product, unrivaled for the price point and still one of our leading mods to couple with our suspension products to transform the car as a system, not just a single component upgrade.
Mike
Hi Mike,
Will the 16/12 set up still provide at least a 40mm droop when jacked up? It's a cert requirement here in NZ. Cheers