IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealership scratched my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 11:24 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet you I can probably fix that in 10 minutes. LOL....if they wet sanded, you just need to use a compound that is able to remove sanding marks.

Honestly...instead of letting those clowns do it. I say you tell them "i'm going to hire a professional car detailer, and you (the lexus dealer) pay him to remove the scratch".

Find a professional car detailer in your area.

BTW...time to join MeguiarsOnline.com...learn to take care of your own car. Don't let these clowns do it. I'd tell them fix the scratch and that's it. Don't even let them wash your car. They're just going to put it through the machine.
Old 08-09-12, 04:18 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All this talk of wet sanding, dry sanding, compound, etc., is scary. How much clearcoat would be left after the damage has been minimized? Better get it re-sprayed.
Old 08-09-12, 10:08 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
All this talk of wet sanding, dry sanding, compound, etc., is scary. How much clearcoat would be left after the damage has been minimized? Better get it re-sprayed.
It all depends on what kind of grit he used and was it actual wet sanding. Also was it a high quality sandpaper makes a difference. Was it uni-grit or not.

Honestly, re-spray isn't always the best route to go. You can NEVER match a factory paint job. They're completely different processes and obviously these guys can't even fix a scratch, what makes you think they can paint? Re-spray is the last thing you want to do. As long as there's clear coat, you can mess with it...but depending on how much clear coat is left, will determine how long it's actually going to last. Most cars only come with 1-2 mil of clear coat. A typical credit card is around 15-20mils. There's not much clear on there.

Check this out....my friend hit a trash can backing up...

10 minutes later...

Can't fix the metal...but at least you can't really see it.

Last edited by Just F Me; 08-09-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 10:44 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry to see it happen to your car, i feel your pain, like it happened to my brand new LX570, when i took it in for the skake issues, they said that they have to rebalance the wheels, fine with me, when i pick up my truck, i saw four of my brand new wheels are scratches around the lugs goes in:-((( i let them know right away? The service manager offer me some bull crap, i said no, this is brand new $90k truck and expecting scratches wheels? They siad what would make me happier? I siad give me four new wheels, sure did, they ordered me four new wheels, and now no more shake at speed.
Old 08-09-12, 11:57 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have to say they did a great job fixing the scratch today. The guy that did it was actually one of their painters and not one of the detailers. Apparently he has been working in the bussiness for 20 years and is very good.
Old 08-09-12, 12:03 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

I hope they didn't just wax it and added a ton of fillers to it. In the next few week as you wash the car, fillers start degrading and now you see it again......
Old 08-09-12, 12:32 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I hope they didn't just wax it and added a ton of fillers to it. In the next few week as you wash the car, fillers start degrading and now you see it again......
It does not look like they just waxed it. Also they should know that they need to fix it right or I will just continue to take it back to them.
Old 08-09-12, 07:42 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out
Old 08-09-12, 11:06 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zapa
Also they should know that they need to fix it right or I will just continue to take it back to them.
^^^this sometimes means nothing to them. But in the end, I'm glad you're happy with the fix. That's really all that matters.
Old 08-10-12, 07:47 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys and i will defiantly try and learn how to wet sand if i ever need to again
Old 08-10-12, 08:09 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys and i will defiantly try and learn how to wet sand if i ever need to again
IT'S NOT WET SANDING! Wet sanding is a last resort!
Old 08-10-12, 10:07 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Which dealership?
Old 08-10-12, 02:39 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

okay from now on I'm gonna ask just F me for advice and it was Charles Barker. They handled it very well
Old 08-10-12, 03:00 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

okay from now on I'm gonna ask just F me for advice and it was Charles Barker. They handled it very well
OK...because this is the internet, I don't know if you're being serious, or being sarcastic and a smart ***, or just joking, so i'm going to assume you're just joking.

I'm just trying to tell you that you need to know how to evaluate the paint, and then proceed to find the best solution. I'm on Meguiar's Online and some of the other car detailing sites and people take scotch brite pads to their car because they can't get the tar or tree sap off their paint etc, then some other clown goes....just wet sand it...

Plus, the last thing you want to do is go around saying..."oh, i had a scratch like that and the dealership just wet sanded it"

Three things happen...

1) you gave someone the wrong information.
2) that person may know what they're talking about, and now they think you're a dumbass.
3) you are a dumbass

Take this for example....guy at a local car meet brings his car that got scratched...

This is what happens after you wet sand with 3000 grit sanding discs

^^^does your car still look like this? Probably not. You'd give the dealership the bird if they gave you back your car like that....wet sanding only creates a uniform surface so that you can now work to remove a uniform defect rather than a defect that is all over the place.

In the end, the car looked like this...the appearance of the scratch is no longer there, however, who ever hit him, it left a very slight crease in the metal...can't fix that.........but, the appearance of the scratch was gone. Once the surface has a uniform defect, you can then buff it out. (all of this is dependent on how much clear coat you actually have on the car)

Go here if you want to read more...Just my two cents...
The Power of 3000 grit sand paper
Old 08-10-12, 03:41 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I was being serious if my car gets scratched in asking you what to do