IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Low engine oil level ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 07:41 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low engine oil level ???

I have only had my 08 F for a few months and it is due for an oil change in about 1K. Today the low engine oil light came on, so I checked it and indeed it was just below the low level on the dipstick. The light came on once before while I was parked on an extreme grade, and the oil level was fine. I have no evidence of any leaks. Anyone have any thoughts? This doesn't seem as though it would be normal. By the way it took about 1/2 qt to bring it back to normal levels. Thanks.

PS...I will be posting pics soon, just haven't had the time to get out and do it yet!
Old 07-29-12, 08:58 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREED777
I have only had my 08 F for a few months and it is due for an oil change in about 1K. Today the low engine oil light came on, so I checked it and indeed it was just below the low level on the dipstick. The light came on once before while I was parked on an extreme grade, and the oil level was fine. I have no evidence of any leaks. Anyone have any thoughts? This doesn't seem as though it would be normal. By the way it took about 1/2 qt to bring it back to normal levels. Thanks.

PS...I will be posting pics soon, just haven't had the time to get out and do it yet!
For a 5.0L V8 that uses almost 10 litres of oil that's pretty normal.
Old 07-29-12, 02:24 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I beat on mine (after.it has been warmed up) and it doesnt use oil...
Old 07-29-12, 05:58 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil level has never budged either.
Old 07-29-12, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Never seen the low oil level light, even after a track weekend.
Old 07-30-12, 04:22 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not seeing any oil consumption from my motor either.
Does your car still have the same oil that was in it at the time of purchase?
Most used car dealers just use the same grade of low cost bulk oil in every car that goes through the shop.
Maybe a Mobile One oil change and some monitoring will show better results.
Old 07-30-12, 05:38 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Lift up the car or when you get your oil changed defiantly take a look under there and look for leaks or oil gunk.
Like everybody else my oil light has never flashed
Old 07-30-12, 10:37 AM
dLad
Driver

my light always flashed way too early....usually 2k in or 2500 into the previous change.....this happened three or four times. Once it was 1 1/2 quarts short. Once it was 2 quarts short. And once 2 1/2 quarts short. I asked the dealer WTF?!?!? They said that Lexus actually claims allowance to burning a quart per 600 miles. I thought it sounded fishy. But that's my experience. So basically the oil changes are done every 5k miles....So I always stopped in around 2k or 2500k (whenever the light came on) and they added the proper amount for free. It was a pain in the *** to have to go there double the time I should have.

P.S. They definitely changed the oil the right way and put in the right amount. I made sure of this after the first time it happened, then it kept happening.
Old 07-30-12, 02:26 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have not seen any oil consumption after up to 10k miles of use between changing my oil. I would do an oil change yourself and make sure there is 9.9 quarts of oil in there. After that you can see if your engine is burning oil or if the last person just didn't put enough in and your engine is burning just a little oil or a lot.

Or you could just fill it till it reads at the top of the line, then measure it consistently until you ascertain whether it is burning oil or not.
Old 07-30-12, 02:28 PM
dLad
Driver

i made an error.......the dealer told me Lexus said it's acceptable to lose .6 (6/10) quarts per every 500 miles. It's actually somewhere in the owners manual. So although that's still fishy, it makes sense as far as getting from oil change to oil change.

please disregard what I originally typed above (burning a quart per 600 miles)
Old 08-03-12, 09:38 AM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and filled it and will keep an eye on it. I ended up doing a 300 mile highway trip over the weekend and checked it afterwards. I've also checked it a few times since and it seems to be holding the levels just fine. Maybe it was just low from the last oil change Btw, my tank average was 27.3 on the highway trip.....I was not expecting it to be that high.
Old 04-30-16, 03:38 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Stumbled upon this thread...
As far as I can remember since buying my car used at 22k miles (67k on the odometer now), I've had to always top oil off after the 5k mile mark. Just today I had to add 1.5 liters of Mobil 1 synthetic @6.5k miles for the fluid level to get between low and max on the dipstick. Been using Mobil 1 synthetic for the past 15k or so miles.

90% of the time I'm in manual + sport mode and shifting at 3-3.5k rpm.

Curious to see what others are seeing now that their cars are older (since a lot of the above replies mentioned no oil level drops). I'll probably have to get my mechanic to check for any leaks on the next change.
Old 04-30-16, 11:26 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm at about 50K miles and have never needed a top up. Your consumption definitely seems out of character though.
Old 05-01-16, 04:02 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

mine does this as well i wonder what are the factors to why this happens, i am reaching 10k miles since my last oil change and this is the second time the low oil warning light has come on, first time it was around the 5k mark. i do daily drive the car and also do some aspirated driving.
Old 05-01-16, 09:40 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Do a complete oil change and make sure you go with a quality 5W-30 and OEM filter. 9.8 qrtz is what goes in there.

Check for leaks. If no leaks are present keep track of the oil level.

If you're still losing oil, it will be time for a leakdown/compression check on the engine.

Quick Reply: Low engine oil level ???