IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ALL IS-F MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in the IS-F forum

Old 07-25-12, 06:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts
Default ALL IS-F MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in the IS-F forum

A Request and Message to ALL IS-F Forum Members:

Over the last months the moderator team has noticed an issue with the IS-F forum.... while this forum has been growing rapidly both in members and post activity, it is not experiencing a similar growth in sense of community. What makes Club Lexus a special place is that our members nearly always are mature, we help each other out and work through their differences like adults. We forge friendships with those we've never met and those that we connect with at local CL meets.

Lately there has been an increase in unprovoked personal attacks, rude and racist comments and a general lack of respect for one another in the IS-F forum.

These activities will not continue. We will regain our sense of community in the IS-F forum, starting now. If you want to post in order to simply flame other members or be an e-thug, it's time for you to find another forum.

HOW? We're going to accomplish this on in two ways...

Stop the bleeding
1) informing members of this request, asking for their help
2) increased moderator presence and attention in the IS-F forum
3) better education about our forum rules including personal attacks and response to comments ((click here to review them) and stricter enforcement via recorded 'infractions' for members who break them
4) use of temporary 24 hour or 1 week ban from the forum as cool off periods after ignoring warnings
5) permanent bans for continued offenses against our community rules where appropriate

Resuscitate the breathing
1) better communication on sense of community and of use of the search feature to new joiners in their welcome email
2) refocus Senior moderators to monitor the IS-F forum and help members
3) finalization of the IS-F FAQ forum to help cut down on any repetitive Q&A

WE NEED YOUR HELP

Help grow the sense of community by:
  • Before you hit the 'post reply' button, consider if your reply is adding to the community or detracting from it. If it's purely negative, don't post.
  • Thicken your skin, be 'better than that'. Don't respond angrily to a rude post. Rise above it, don't respond or use the 'report a post' button to notify moderators of an issue
  • Pitch in to welcome and help recent joiners. Refer them to the FAQ or information they're looking for
  • Contribute to the knowledgebase of the forum as you can through DIY posts and helping others

I'd also like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads. Welcome them; everybody starts somewhere.

If you get an infraction or a temporary 24 hour or one week ban, please take the warning seriously. Don't come back angry and complaining and don't pick up in the same thread doing the same thing. We're using this method to try and provide 'cooling off' time when needed. Warnings sent in private and public just don't seem to be doing enough to discourage some of the recent behaviour here... we will show some folks the door if they can't participate in a mature manner that enhances our community instead of destroying it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
JusDoc50 (03-29-24), Mfitzen (11-13-21), sumrtoy (04-18-17)
Old 07-25-12, 08:06 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I agree and pledge: Community!!
Old 07-25-12, 09:46 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Awesome post...!!!!

~ Joe Z
Old 07-25-12, 11:55 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Read and could not agree more!
The following users liked this post:
JusDoc50 (03-29-24)
Old 07-25-12, 12:26 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Couldnt agree more
Old 07-25-12, 12:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I too am on Board

Lou
Old 07-25-12, 02:03 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

THIS is what makes CL the best and most useful forum. I join in pledging to support the sense of community.
Old 07-25-12, 02:32 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree!
Old 07-25-12, 02:40 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree as well.
Old 07-25-12, 02:45 PM
mattsmee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is so true. Awesome post!
Old 07-25-12, 04:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said!
Old 07-25-12, 05:16 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here, here!
Old 07-25-12, 05:18 PM
Murajitul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree and I would like to say something about 'Use Search'.

I am new to the forum and new to ISF, so i don't have much knowledge whatsoever. Old members maybe annoyed by repeating threads again and again, but please understand that it is all NEW for us (new members).

This forum has so much information that I cannot go through every single old threads to gain information about our cars, so I sincerely ask all the members to take it easy and share repeating issue even though the issue was beat to death.
The following users liked this post:
salamander (05-28-20)
Old 07-25-12, 05:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Thanks for the support guys; it's your actions that will improve things.

Originally Posted by Murajitul
This forum has so much information that I cannot go through every single old threads to gain information about our cars, so I sincerely ask all the members to take it easy and share repeating issue even though the issue was beat to death.
Agreed, but we do need for you (and other new members) to try... I mean really try... before posting questions. Learn to search a bit smarter using more keywords, narrowing your search to titles, etc. If its been beat to death then you'll be able to get instant answers, with no waiting (example). Even if you have to read a few threads to get them.

We're working on getting the IS-F FAQ set up which will help out with some of the recurring questions but we'll never get all of them.
Old 07-25-12, 06:09 PM
Murajitul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ yes of course I do agree we should utilize search function. But all I am saying is "Search is not my only friend, all the members in this forum is also my friends". you guys are know soooo much

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ALL IS-F MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in the IS-F forum