IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is it too late to save my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 10:37 PM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it too late to save my tire?

I was checking all my tires today...and found out ONLY DRIVER SIDE tire having uneven wears on it. They are factory tires.
Most of the time I do not have any passenger in it. Would that be the main reason causing the uneven wears? Or is it something to due with our car's suspenison set up?

I want to know if it's too late to save my tire? can I simply do a tire alignment to get the most out of all my tires?

Thanks again for all the kind helps!

Old 07-08-12, 10:57 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

are you lowered ?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-09-12, 12:56 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks like toe and/or camber wear. yes you should definitely get an alignment. and if all your tires are the same size, you might be able to rotate that one to the back and continue to use it.
Old 07-09-12, 04:30 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to be an *** but that one statement was funny as hell!!

"Most of the time I do not have any passenger in it. Would that be the main reason causing the uneven wears?"

Old 07-09-12, 05:51 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like an alignment issue, I would start by getting that checked out.
Old 07-09-12, 07:38 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
that looks like toe and/or camber wear. yes you should definitely get an alignment. and if all your tires are the same size, you might be able to rotate that one to the back and continue to use it.
The front and rear tires on the ISF are not the same size. Our tires & wheels are staggered, you can't rotate them front to back. To the OP, swap the front tires and make sure your wheels aren't backwards (if you have a 2008)

Last edited by VtotheJ; 07-09-12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 09:22 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ gotcha. i didnt even bother to read which vehicle the thread was applicable to.
Old 07-09-12, 09:24 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U can do is flip your tires inside to outside, and check alignment , hope that help
Old 07-09-12, 10:17 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^His Bridgestone's have an asymmetric tread design and can't be flipped inside to outside. I'm also not sure what a left to right switch would get you. The labor to dismount, remount and balance would be expensive.

IMHO, the best advice is a new set of front tires that match the rears in make and model. Those look like Bridgestone Potenza RE050A to me.

Lou
Old 07-09-12, 11:39 AM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

My front tires are also worn on the inside, but it was lowered when I bought it. Could that be the reason? Either way it looks like the toe/camber angle needs realigned.
Old 07-10-12, 11:26 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^His Bridgestone's have an asymmetric tread design and can't be flipped inside to outside. I'm also not sure what a left to right switch would get you. The labor to dismount, remount and balance would be expensive.

IMHO, the best advice is a new set of front tires that match the rears in make and model. Those look like Bridgestone Potenza RE050A to me.

Lou
Yep Lou is right. It's still on RE050A....
and she never been lower.
I really don't want to get new set of front tire since the treads still in excellent condition.
Do you think doing an aligment will help now?
Old 07-10-12, 08:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Toe it in 1/8" and you'll get the most life out of it you can. All the 2IS have front end wear issues when set with toe out. Keep in mind this is not the ideal performance setting, but it will get you more even tire wear in the front.
Old 07-10-12, 09:19 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyray
Most of the time I do not have any passenger in it. Would that be the main reason causing the uneven wears? Or is it something to due with our car's suspenison set up?
Are you a fat gorilla? If not, then typically you can't wear the tire on one side of the car as much as you have because of passenger weight

Take your car to get an alignment at a REPUTABLE alignment shop. It could be you hit a pot hole or something that has thrown off your alignment on only one side of the car. If not a pot hole, maybe you bumped something, but unless your passenger is huge, passenger weight doesn't change anything. My suggestion is if somewhere in your area, you can get a "lifetime alignment", I'd go for that...the alignment on the IS F will constantly go out because it tends to have a very soft suspension setting...as in it doesn't hold very well...not in reference to the ride quality.

You should get a nice print out like this after...BTW, my alignment was perfect, then the SOCAL IS F guys and myself went on a spirited driving adventure through some of the California roads and the top is what happened to my alignment after.

^ gotcha. i didnt even bother to read which vehicle the thread was applicable to.
Do you usually suggest answers without reading/listening/thinking?

It's an IS F forum, the car comes standard from the factory with a staggered fitment. Did you think this was the Prius section of Club Lexus?

Secondly, even if the car DIDNT come with a staggered fitment, the car is RWD...you don't move a worn tire to the area of the car that will get worn faster.

Sorry if all that sounds negative, but I can't stand people that just blurt out what's on their mind without actually thinking.

Last edited by Just F Me; 07-10-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 09:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Pot holes won't change alignment. Curbing the wheels will. It will also jack the wheel bearings.
Old 07-10-12, 10:07 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

if the pot hole is big enough...i hit a nasty one in LA where it shifted my rear view mirror....took my car to get aligned and it was off. I have lifetime alignment on my car so it goes in every 6000 miles and it's always been off every time it goes in.

Everyone knows LA has crap roads...not sure about Georgia...you guys have good peaches

Quick Reply: Is it too late to save my tire?