Originally Posted by staman
21 Nm (214 kgf-cm,15ft-lbf)
Thank you for the info!
Old 07-01-12, 08:20 PM
newguy1354
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY IS-F Spark plug change

Inspired by caymandive's DIY on the brakes ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ke-rotors.html ), I figured I would document with photos this part of the 60k service. I hope it's helpful. Please feel free to add helpful info about this job.
Things to note. Be sure to tighten the plugs to the correct torque spec. of 21 Nm (214 kgf-cm,15ft-lbf). Thank you staman. Also, you will be removing a lot of components for access to the plugs. Since the engine is completely cool when doing spark plugs, just stuff a towel down between the apron and the engine below the screw/object you are removing. If you drop it, no big deal. Move plug and coil at a time. Starting and finishing each one as you go.

The tools I needed.

I bought the OE Denso spark plugs and be sure to get a few engine bay cover clips. You will probably have a few break or already broken.
Engine with covers and without

Once you have all the clips out the two outer covers have a 12mm plastic "nut' on the middle inside that you have to unscrew to finish getting them out.

I went at the passenger side first, working from front to back.

The first one was much like all the others. You are moving components out of your way throughout the job for each cylinder. This one was a small heat sinked control/computer unit that I just moved enough to get access. I didn't have a long enough extension for most of the cylinders so I had to add a couple together. If you have a 12" ext. and a swivel, you are in good shape.

A 5/8" or 16mm spark plug socket was used. But do yourself a favor and skip the rubber tube insert. I find it doesn't offer that much help with removing the spark plug. And you end up messing with removing it all the time. The plugs came out and went in fine without the tube. Just move slow and smooth to keep from dropping things.

The second plug (sorry, I don't know the cylinder numbers) was the pass. side from front. It required the curved needle nose pliers to get behind the bracket on the strut tower and unclip that area of wiring harness. I took the oil dipstick out and carefully moved the harness around the dipstick tube, keeping it out of the way.

In trying to keep a good pace I decided at this point to move to the driver's side front. The 3rd in on the pass. side looks daunting. (and is). The first one on the driver's side requires an A/C bracket to be removed. That allows just enough movement to get access to the plug.

The second one in on the driver's side needed the small relay/fuse box removed and set aside. I removed it with it's bracket attached for more room. It will need to stay off for the next 2 plugs as well. I left the A/C lines loose too.

The 3rd one was easy

Now reattach the A/C line with bracket. The fit for the 4th plug on driver's side rear is tight but I was able to get in under the master cylinder lines and remove the plug. Once changed reattach the fuse/relay box.

Going back to the passenger side 3rd from front, remove the battery. That larger fuse box needs to be loosened. Remove the little black box on top of the strut tower. Remove the bracket holding the fuse box on the front of the strut tower. Move the wiring harness back to the other side of the dipstick tube. The fuse box's rear lower leg is attached underneath the battery's tray. To remove the battery's tray you have to disconnect the ECM that is under it. I didn't want to do that so I GENTLY set the fuse box back just enough to access the 3rd plug.

Finally the last plug. It is the easiest of them all. Notice the ECM's location in the photo. Once the last plug is done reinstall the battery and reattach the fuse box with the other components. Then double check all the components that were removed and reinstall covers.

Last edited by newguy1354; 07-02-12 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MpKSonic (04-04-19)
Old 07-02-12, 08:27 PM
newguy1354
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally! Thank you photobucket. This took me way too long to get done but here it is. I hope it is found to be helpful.
Old 07-02-12, 08:32 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome!.. i am gonna try to tackle this soon..
Old 03-14-13, 05:51 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spark Plug Change

Just thought I would share the results of changing my spark plugs today as I'm about to hit 160,000km's/ 100,000 miles

Not sure what this means but all 8 of them look like this, my mechanic told me this is a good sign as it means they are all igniting properly. I had no other obvious signs of carbon, oil, cracked ceramics....etc

My labor was less than 2 hours ($140.00 ish), and the only real trouble was he had to remove my battery, battery tray and power steering ECU to get to the back two plugs on the passenger side of the car.

I replaced them with Denso OEM FK20HBR11's that I picked up from Sewell during a black Friday sale.

No noticeable differences in driving, just piece of mind

Digger08
Old 03-14-13, 06:42 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

are those the OEM plugs?
Old 03-14-13, 07:13 PM
dwin888
Rookie

Did you just beat Just F Me? I thought he had the highest mileage F? haha
Old 03-14-13, 07:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks for sharing Digger..!!

Originally Posted by dwin888
^^ Plenty of people "beat" Just F Me ....

~ Joe Z
Old 03-14-13, 07:22 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

I have my spark plugs thats been sitting in my closest for the longest. Too lazy to tackle the job. I wish I can find someone local here to do my with out being rip off.
Old 03-14-13, 07:29 PM
dwin888
Rookie

Haha I seriously thought he had the highest mileage F! haha Goes to show that the ISF is hella reliable!

BTW, I think I will be the first guy to have a Joe-Z exhaust in the PI
Old 03-14-13, 08:56 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Thanks for sharing Digger..!!

~ Joe Z
Tommy gets beat all the time
Old 03-14-13, 09:11 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

damn that looks kind of bad. at least you changed it. changed mine and they looked new.

Obby, looks like you are pretty mechanically inclined. to do it, it was pretty easy and straight forward. not like a b18 honda engine easy but basically you just take off the battery and tray to get to the rear passenger and remove a few things int he way on drivers. just make sure you have a torque wrench to torque each spark plug.
Old 03-14-13, 10:15 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

^thanks for the kind word and thanks for the tips .. im going to tackle it next weekend as my car is still at the shop....
Old 03-15-13, 06:27 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

....and some anti-seize compound on the threads....to make the next removal easier.

Digger08
Old 03-15-13, 10:24 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dwin888

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Tommy gets beat all the time

Originally Posted by Joe Z

~ Joe Z

I'm almost there....99,129 miles as of today. I'll be driving about 300 miles this weekend, and then it goes into the garage for a week as I'm going out of town. Will hit 100,000 mile soon

BTW, plugs should be replaced at 60k miles I think....100k is pushing it.

Quick Reply: DIY IS-F Spark plug change