IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Had my 08 for a month now...some observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 07:41 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had my 08 for a month now...some observations

1. Still love the car like the day I bought it...I'm always looking for an excuse to go for a drive.

2. It never ceases to amaze me how many jealous people/haters there are out there. I've adapted a little bit more strategy when parking just because I don't want door dings and most people are very careless with their cars. I make it a point to not park like a D-bag or double park, I just usually park at least 3-4 spaces away from where the rest of the crowd is and I can't tell you how many times I've had some ahole park their car RIGHT on top of mine. Just yesterday I went in to look for some new furniture and came out to some old beat up truck parked about 1 inch from my drivers side door at an angle so I couldn't even back out. I really don't know what is wrong with people.

3. The BMW crowd never ceases to amaze me. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone and I have a good friend with an M3 and another with a 335, but browsing the forums and listening to other BMW owners really cracks me up. Seems to me that most BMW owners aren't true auto enthusiasts but rather brand fanboys. I appreciate cars of all levels from all manufacturers ...I'll even admit the M3 is probably a little bit more fun to drive, hell I even think my friend's new Genesis Coupe with the 3.6 is a nice car, but I feel like the BMW crowd has some smarta$$ comment to say about any car that's not a BMW. I guess its just something we have to live with but I'd much rather have my Lexus to drive everyday than a loaner BMW every now and then when it breaks down. I can't count how many times I see a "courtesy of such and such BMW " sticker on the back of a 328 driving around town, I've yet to see a Lexus
Old 07-01-12, 09:23 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO the lexus crowd is a lot more sophisticated and open minded than bmw owners. Not all, but most. I have a friend with a modded M3 who really respects the ISF. All of the ISF owners I've met on these forums are very open minded like myself, and we respect M3's and C63's. Most of the M3 owners on the bimmerforums, etc are always hating on our 8spd transmissions, exhaust tips, etc... its annoying, I agree.

With the whole parking thing, I don't really deal with that where I live, just a lot of people who respect the F and compliment me. It depends on your location.
Old 07-01-12, 10:08 AM
djhydro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an M3 and I hung out with them and now I own an F and still go to hang with my Beamer people. I get a lot of love and respect. Its different and thats exactly why I got this car and honestly you are right. My M had its technical issues - the most annoying is when I would be driving the car would go to Neutral on it own.. I would then have to stop wait for 5 mins and kick back in because the sensor would act that the hood is open? That car frustrated me. I got rid of it at 46k.

My F is a Winner!
Old 07-01-12, 11:16 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djhydro
I had an M3 and I hung out with them and now I own an F and still go to hang with my Beamer people. I get a lot of love and respect. Its different and thats exactly why I got this car and honestly you are right. My M had its technical issues - the most annoying is when I would be driving the car would go to Neutral on it own.. I would then have to stop wait for 5 mins and kick back in because the sensor would act that the hood is open? That car frustrated me. I got rid of it at 46k.

My F is a Winner!
Haha actually I ended up doing the same thing the other day. My friend told me to come meet up cause there were a bunch of car people together right up the street from where I live, he didn't tell me it was a BMW club though. Felt a little weird rolling up in my Lexus but actually most of the guys there were pretty cool, I kinda stole the show in a way because everyone came over to check the car out and ask questions. I think its mostly browsing the BMW forums where I feel like people are stuck up. Also most of the people I work with seem to be BMW fanboys and girls.

My coworker who bought a 335 seems to get a lot more compliments from the ladies too but whatever ...I didn't buy the car to pick up chics and it puts a smile on my face every time I hit the start button, something the 335 wouldn't do
Old 07-02-12, 09:04 AM
Valkirk
Driver

I always find it funny on BMW forums seeming people complain about problems they have had saying things like:

"I've NEVER had a BMW that hasn't had problems, although luckily not as bad as those.

I've had about 6 AUC BMWs (several 3 series and a few 1'ers) and also a brand new 2011 116d and now a brand new Z4.

ALL have had something wrong with them - the AUC cars I am sure could've been fixed before delivery, but I suspect they would have to pay for that out of the cars profit...whereas after delivery, its a warranty job?

The new 1'er had rattles and squeeky folding mirror, and the Z4 has a leak that its in the dealer for the 4th time!

I think quality control no longer goes hand in hand with the BMW brand. OK, there are always going to be some that slip through the net, and I guess some faults don't show up in pre-delivery etc, but my experience...to have something with all of them?"

There is no way I would give any car manufacturer (Especially a high end expensive one) that much repeat business and brand loyalty if pretty much EVERY car had problems.

There are some people out there who get so hung up on the brand they refuse to look past at anything else.
Old 07-02-12, 09:08 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Agreed with the BMW owners comment. I've owned several BMW's and I can say the the Lexus crowd seems to be more genuine group of owners.
Old 07-02-12, 09:09 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

I also forgot to mention about the haters.... there are lots! I've gotten several people saying the F is just a rebadged Corolla. Pisses me off every time, and naturally I react!
Old 07-02-12, 09:12 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M K S
I've gotten several people saying the F is just a rebadged Corolla.
Did you react by punching them in the face? dumb asses...I would like to know on what grounds they can make a statement like that besides the on the grounds that they're stupid *****.
Old 07-02-12, 09:13 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkirk
There are some people out there who get so hung up on the brand they refuse to look past at anything else.
The power of marketing!
Old 07-02-12, 11:10 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by M K S
I also forgot to mention about the haters.... there are lots! I've gotten several people saying the F is just a rebadged Corolla. Pisses me off every time, and naturally I react!
LOL... REALLY? You should give them a spirited ride and show them how ignorant they are....
Old 07-02-12, 01:33 PM
staman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
LOL... REALLY? You should give them a spirited ride and show them how ignorant they are....
If I could only convince my brother not to buy an X5M--The dumbest SUV ever made.
Old 07-02-12, 02:11 PM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went the opposite route. i went from the F to an M3 and both cars are great in there own ways. miss the sound of the Typhoon intake on the F that thing sounded nasty. My main reason for my switch was i really wanted a 6spd The F just seemed boring because of the AT "no offense fellas" the F is a sexy beast and kinda really wish i could have both but my wife might divorce me. Oh and guess who had the rear diff replaced at 28k miles...Im hoping this will be the last problem for a long time. In the F I never even worried about a thing
Old 07-02-12, 03:31 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sello
i went the opposite route. i went from the F to an M3 and both cars are great in there own ways. miss the sound of the Typhoon intake on the F that thing sounded nasty. My main reason for my switch was i really wanted a 6spd The F just seemed boring because of the AT "no offense fellas" the F is a sexy beast and kinda really wish i could have both but my wife might divorce me. Oh and guess who had the rear diff replaced at 28k miles...Im hoping this will be the last problem for a long time. In the F I never even worried about a thing
I definitely get you, my DD is a 5-speed so I still get the perks of old school manual... without it I would definitely be deprived... but I just love the fact that I can control the gear shifts in the F and slap it into Auto when I hit traffic.
Old 07-02-12, 04:33 PM
rocks
Driver

I think you guys worry too much what people think of your cars, its rather juvenile really. Right now I am driving a BMW and my next car will either be the next gen ISF or GSF. I could care less what people think of my car, its my money and I buy what I like. No need to be upset because you don't get props from every potential enthusiast out there. Everybody who is a true car enthusiast knows the ISF is just as good as the M3 or C63 and each car in this group has something that is unique to itself. As for the BMW forums, most of them are littered with teens and poseurs who don't know a damn thing about cars and really should be ignored. This thread is just as stupid as the idiots that talk trash about your car....
Old 07-02-12, 04:55 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rocks
I think you guys worry too much what people think of your cars, its rather juvenile really. Right now I am driving a BMW and my next car will either be the next gen ISF or GSF. I could care less what people think of my car, its my money and I buy what I like. No need to be upset because you don't get props from every potential enthusiast out there. Everybody who is a true car enthusiast knows the ISF is just as good as the M3 or C63 and each car in this group has something that is unique to itself. As for the BMW forums, most of them are littered with teens and poseurs who don't know a damn thing about cars and really should be ignored. This thread is just as stupid as the idiots that talk trash about your car....

Yes because all I'm doing is talking trash about BMW's in this thread ...

Quick Reply: Had my 08 for a month now...some observations