2012 ISF Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 12:27 AM
STRAN
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 ISF Brake Question

Hey ClubLexus,

Having trouble with my GF 2012 IS-F and was hoping someone could chime in with any similar experience or knowledge. I'm getting a lot of loud noises / squealing when braking slowly when slowing down to traffic lights, stopping for stop signs and driving on the free way. Typically happens when I'm slowing anywhere from 40-65 mph. It's a noise as if I need new brake pads or if there is something wrong with the BBK or rotors. We took it into Stevens Creek today and they said it "should be fine" when there is definitely something wrong. While I was in LA with the car, is was very embarrassing driving the car and braking with cars and people around. I was wondering if any other IS-F owners have had problem with their rotors/BBK ? Was there a possible change in the 2012 model? Cross drilled rotors or a change in the BBK ? It is in service for its first oil change and the car has only about 4500 miles. Was hoping to see if anyone could advise some help because Stevens Creek claims the noises are normal when I know they aren't.

Problems:
-Loud noises when braking.
-Seems like a sweet spot; for example if i was to press on the brakes harder, it would stop the sound. Light taps on the brakes do not cause the noise.However, There is a certain spot as I step on the brakes that makes the ridiculously loud noise.
-It is not the normal morning squealing that normal cars get in the morning. Use to drive a G and that happened a lot, which sounded normal and went away during the day.

Hope anyone could help!
-S.TRAN
Old 06-21-12, 01:15 AM
bradhop15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a common thing with performance brakes. You can try bedding the brakes in.
Old 06-21-12, 02:20 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

There is always the possibility of having manufactured defective brake pads or parts... I never noticed any breaking sound cause I always have the windows up, A/C blowing, and the sounds blasting. I can check it out tomorrow when I drive to work and would be able to provide some feedback. Hope you get this resolved bro
Old 06-21-12, 07:16 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake squealing is a common problem to F owners. It's the brake pad compound that Lexus uses. Many of us switch to aftermarket pads like Wearever or Hawk. I've had this problem off and on with my 2010 ever since I've had it. It seems to get better during the summer months. I'm going to get Wearever Ceramics very soon. If you're not tracking the car, they perform the same and have the benefits of being quieter and less to no brake dust. They are around 50$. As new as your car is, you should be able to get new pads and keep your stock rotors for sure.
Old 06-21-12, 09:23 AM
STRAN
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
There is always the possibility of having manufactured defective brake pads or parts... I never noticed any breaking sound cause I always have the windows up, A/C blowing, and the sounds blasting. I can check it out tomorrow when I drive to work and would be able to provide some feedback. Hope you get this resolved bro
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 06-21-12, 09:24 AM
STRAN
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
Brake squealing is a common problem to F owners. It's the brake pad compound that Lexus uses. Many of us switch to aftermarket pads like Wearever or Hawk. I've had this problem off and on with my 2010 ever since I've had it. It seems to get better during the summer months. I'm going to get Wearever Ceramics very soon. If you're not tracking the car, they perform the same and have the benefits of being quieter and less to no brake dust. They are around 50$. As new as your car is, you should be able to get new pads and keep your stock rotors for sure.
Ok, I'll consider replacing to aftermarket brake pads if it continues to make the noise. Thank you.
Old 06-21-12, 09:28 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Buy the wearever pads and forget about it, fixed mine.
Old 06-21-12, 09:49 AM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Project Mu NR compound pads are another great option for the ISF. Stopped the brake noise completely, little to no brake dust compared to stock, and bite extremely well.
Old 06-21-12, 11:27 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Default Bed in the Brakes

I had the same issue even after Longo Lexus replaced my pads under the TSB. Bed in the brakes by jacking up the rear and and turning off traction control. Since my driveway is sloped, I was still able to maintain my car level as I jacked up the rear. Just be careful and use jackstands. I ran the car up to 70 mph and applied braking load. I did this about 7-8 times. I found instructions for this in one of the threads. It has helped significantly. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-12, 12:55 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Stevens Creek is right, this is normal. However there is an alternate part number for a set of pads that are quieter. They dust a lot and have a little less initial bite when braking but are quiet. There is a LSIB bulletin about it. I will see if I can dig it up for you when I am back at my computer.
Go back to LoSC and ask to talk to Jerry Lucas, he is the shops lead diagnostician and has helped me many, many times with ISF issues. He know the car better than anyone else there (with the exception of Steve who rebuilt my ISF engine).
When I go to LoSC service I only deal with Maria Manag, service writer, as she has provide the best service and deepest understanding of vehicles compared to my experience with everyone else.

The other option is to go aftermarket with your pads at your own cost and this will also result in less dusting of the wheels.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-12, 06:25 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Normal. Either replace the pads with aftermarket pads or drive fast and warm them up
Old 06-21-12, 06:55 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry bro i didnt notice the symptoms that you are claiming to have on your 2012 on mine... I drove to work with the radio off and just listened out for what you mentioned and the sweet hum of the engine and exhaust... but nothing... sorry im not much of help, but on another note i plan on changing my pads out soon cause gaud damn the brake dust from these stock pads suck !
Old 06-21-12, 07:10 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
Sorry bro i didnt notice the symptoms that you are claiming to have on your 2012 on mine... I drove to work with the radio off and just listened out for what you mentioned and the sweet hum of the engine and exhaust... but nothing... sorry im not much of help, but on another note i plan on changing my pads out soon cause gaud damn the brake dust from these stock pads suck !
Ditto...nothing on my 2012 as well. Are you spraying a particular wheel cleaner that might cause this to occur?
Old 06-21-12, 08:23 PM
STRAN
Driver

No partciular wheel cleaner. GF just picked up the car from Steven's creek and the squeaking is still there, but not as obnoxious as it was in LA. Just going to see how it goes for the next couple days before deciding if i want to go aftermarket. Thanks to everyone who helped in this thread, it was greatly appreciated and kept me thinking that the IS-F squeaking was a more normal sound.
Old 06-21-12, 08:30 PM
STRAN
Driver

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Stevens Creek is right, this is normal. However there is an alternate part number for a set of pads that are quieter. They dust a lot and have a little less initial bite when braking but are quiet. There is a LSIB bulletin about it. I will see if I can dig it up for you when I am back at my computer.
Go back to LoSC and ask to talk to Jerry Lucas, he is the shops lead diagnostician and has helped me many, many times with ISF issues. He know the car better than anyone else there (with the exception of Steve who rebuilt my ISF engine).
When I go to LoSC service I only deal with Maria Manag, service writer, as she has provide the best service and deepest understanding of vehicles compared to my experience with everyone else.

The other option is to go aftermarket with your pads at your own cost and this will also result in less dusting of the wheels.

Good luck.
I'll ask for them the next time i'm there. Yeah, its just been a rough start for my GF who owns the IS-F. I guess they didn't do the pre-inspection check and the car had small simple fixes that just shouldn't happen on an IS-F.

Last edited by STRAN; 06-21-12 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 ISF Brake Question