IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 07:22 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?

So I called a guy near me to see how much it would cost to get my 08 done. Quoted me $650 for front bumper, lights, fenders, mirrors, and probably 3/4 of the front hood. He said he would also get rid of any of the flecks and small scratches that are on the lower front bumper and just include it in the $650 as long as it wasn't something he had to remove the bumper for. This is using the 3M ventureshield too.

Anyways how many of you guys have been happy that you spent the extra to get it done? I'm pretty **** about scratches so I think for me it would be worth it, but my main question is what happens when a bigger rock hits the clear bra? Does it cause a small rip in the material that will slowly start to peel away as you wash the car or does it just kinda bounce off?

Thanks guys

- R
Old 06-16-12, 09:01 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I personally don't have it on my car, but if I would've bought my F brand new, I would've had it done within the first week.

My coworker got it done when he bought a new IS350. He paid around the same price as your quote and I think its worth every penny. He has no rock chips, scratches or swirls on his front bumper, hood, head lights, and fenders...and he commutes to and from work everyday and has taken trips from SF to LA a couple of times. His bumper still looks new even after all this. He washes his car about every other week and its still on there with no peeling or bubbling. Rocks and debris just bounce off, but of course, if its a huge rock, there's a possibility that it'll leave a dent. Just not a scratch
Old 06-16-12, 09:20 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a good thread discussing this somewhere on here... there were pro's / con's from many people. I have it on my car currently.... and I've had two installs. Once from lexus shortly after purchase.... and about 2 weeks later had a huge rock (i bet 1/4 of an inch or so at 80mph) hit the hood and it did make a 2 mm tear in the bra and chipped the paint to the metal. I then slightly wrecked my car a few weeks later and had to get the bumper replaced, so i had the body shop remove the hood bra and repaint it to fix the chip. after the paint cured 6 weeks later (IIRC) I had a tint place that uses the much better quality Ventureshield redo my hood, bumper. It seems a better product (thicker/tougher and I preferred their installation) don't' have the place try to wrap the bra around the edges of the hood, etc as it did tend to peel there slightly and supposedly increases with time... the second place had the machine cut the bra maybe 1-2mm shy of the edge and No peeling anywhere..
Old 06-16-12, 11:59 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the ENTIRE front end done which includes: FULL hood, bumper, fenders, head lights, fog lights, mirrors, PLUS all door handles. I paid $1300, and the money was well worth it. If I would have done half hood it would have been significantly cheaper. The shop that did mine also did my neighbor's GT-R and my roommates Ford Raptor. Make sure you do your research on who is installing your clear bra. The F's have MANY lines that make the install a lot more difficult than other vehicles. The place I went to ONLY does clear bras, they don't do tint also, as many shops do. When I asked the owner why they don't do other services he said it was because they wanted to perfect clear bras and be known solely for that, I couldn't argue that! DO NOT go half hood or 3/4 in your case. IMO, and many others as well, the line that you will see across your hood will bother just like a rock chip would!!! I had the full hood done to avoid that and I'm super glad I spent the extra cash!! Now I have to disagree with ERDoc, I had the shop "wrap the wrap" around the edges of the hood and where ever possible!!! when people look at my hood they cant believe there is a clear bra on it because you cant see anything, I love it! I then have to show them the areas on the bumper and fenders where they couldn't wrap the edges to show them that indeed it is on! So far the bra has worked perfectly and there are no knicks or front end blemishes (which means the product is doing its job). I drive 600 miles through the desert every weekend around 75-85 mph so I know I'm putting it through a good test here in the southwest. Also make sure that if you get a "bubble" in the wrap that your shop will take care of it hassle free, which mine did for 1 bubble i found a month after. Also make sure you ask for and apply the sealant every few months to help against discoloration, bubbling, peeling, etc...

So to make a long comment short, get the clear bra and go full hood

Here is the link to the thread I made when I got mine wrapped

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-w-pics.html#

some pics during installation...

Old 06-16-12, 12:51 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll ask him how much extra it would be to do the whole hood on Monday. This guy is definitely legit though as far as install goes, highly recommended on the BMW forums and I know he also wrapped an entire 911 GT2 for a customer out here.
Old 06-16-12, 01:10 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCM83
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll ask him how much extra it would be to do the whole hood on Monday. This guy is definitely legit though as far as install goes, highly recommended on the BMW forums and I know he also wrapped an entire 911 GT2 for a customer out here.
nice! Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

in the future I think I might go back and also get the top part of the rear bumper by the cargo area done - my hiking pack is always coming into contact with that part - and its starting to annoy me!
Old 06-16-12, 01:46 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Some shoots of my F when I had clear bra installed and yes its worth it especially if you drive your car often and on highway, will it stop large object from tearing or putting chip on car no but it will help with smaller stuff.

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0015.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0014.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0018.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0019.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0020.jpg
Old 06-16-12, 01:52 PM
Weapon F

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0022.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0025.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0012.jpg

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?-dsc_0030.jpg
Old 06-16-12, 01:59 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Look for someone with experience. $650 sounds too cheap, inexperience.
Old 06-16-12, 02:08 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Look for someone with experience. $650 sounds too cheap, inexperience.
? I dunno the owner told me he's been working with it for years.

Just one of many reviews out there on the guy http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324938
Old 06-16-12, 02:11 PM
J2K
Pole Position

^ I agree with Pete. I had a supposedly reputable guy do my whole front end for $750 and he just didn't do that great of a job with the edges. I also had to have him redo the hood due to bubbling. I took my wife's Cayenne to another installer who charged a bit more and the job was perfect from the start. I love the protection the PPF gives you though.... definitely worth the money.
Old 06-16-12, 02:33 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

find some of his other work and look at it in person... like i said i saw my neighbor's GT-R and my roommates Ford Raptor - both came out awesome - and remember the F has harder lines to work with than those two models - I paid $1300 for mine with a $200 buddy discount

Hey weapon, did you get it wrapped underneath the edges???
Old 06-16-12, 03:27 PM
MWhit02

it is a nightmare to remove yourself.
Old 06-16-12, 05:17 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget to post pictures afterward....
Old 06-16-12, 05:26 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
find some of his other work and look at it in person... like i said i saw my neighbor's GT-R and my roommates Ford Raptor - both came out awesome - and remember the F has harder lines to work with than those two models - I paid $1300 for mine with a $200 buddy discount

Hey weapon, did you get it wrapped underneath the edges???
Yes I did very happy with it

Quick Reply: Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?