IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Don't I need more negative camber up front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 08:07 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't I need more negative camber up front?

Hey guys...
Sorry I'm starting another recent thread, but I'm really trying to figure this out in a hurry!
Please see my post here for background:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...the-track.html
but in short.... tracking my car ruined brand new Michelin PSS's in 2 months and 3 track days... (from heavy outside tire wear down to the cords)
Several guys at the track were saying I need more negavie camber up front to help alleviate this prob.... I pulled out my most recent alignment sheet and I shows that I only have -1degree of camber front Left and -0.8 on the right.... From the little I've read, it seems that I should be running -2 to -2.5 degrees of negative camber for better perfomance at the track and also to help the outer tire wear. I know this isn't adjustable on the stock suspension, but I'm wondering if I should get the SPC adjustable ball joints that can alter the camber +/- 1.5 degrees on the front of the ISF. I know a handful of people on here have them installed, but don't think we've heard how they are working out for them.... I also think that Figs is very soon to come out with a front Upper control arm for the F (by looking at his facebook page) that I belive will make it possible to adjust camber and ?caster as well, so would this be a better option? or am I barking up the wrong tree and neither is necessary for my problem? TIA!
p.s. my rear camber is -1.6 and -1.7, left and right respectively....
Old 06-14-12, 11:05 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's up doc! ( i didnt mean it like that)
anyways, if you bring your car back to an alignment/suspension shop, they might be able to squeeze out JUST a little more camber for you.
also, if/when you upgrade to coilovers, youll definitely be able to adjust your (Front) camber.
if the guys at the track suggested more camber, it's probably wise to listen to them since they have experience.
Old 06-15-12, 03:49 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ProperD
what's up doc! ( i didnt mean it like that)
anyways, if you bring your car back to an alignment/suspension shop, they might be able to squeeze out JUST a little more camber for you.
also, if/when you upgrade to coilovers, youll definitely be able to adjust your (Front) camber.
if the guys at the track suggested more camber, it's probably wise to listen to them since they have experience.
I thought even with coilovers you won't be able to adjust front camber unless you have a camber correction plate or the the spc ball joints or something similiar? no?
Old 06-15-12, 06:04 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

You are right. Coilovers do NOT give you camber adjustability unless you have a camber correction plate or SPC ball joints.

Read this: http://www.advancedracing.com/chassissetup.php

And yes, heavy front outside tire wear indicates you need more negative camber.
Old 06-15-12, 06:10 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I thought even with coilovers you won't be able to adjust front camber unless you have a camber correction plate or the the spc ball joints or something similiar? no?
Originally Posted by Autobacs
You are right. Coilovers do NOT give you camber adjustability unless you have a camber correction plate or SPC ball joints.

Read this: http://www.advancedracing.com/chassissetup.php

And yes, heavy front outside tire wear indicates you need more negative camber.
^ indeed, however the majority of coil over systems now a days COME WITH camber plates.
Old 06-15-12, 06:22 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the way our suspension is set up, a camber plate wouldn’t even allow us to adjust our wheel camber because our suspension doesn’t bolt on to the hub like Subaru, and BMW does. SPC ball joint will be the correct product to play with camber. correct me if I’m wrong anybody.
Old 06-15-12, 06:46 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

^ hmm i see, you might be right. if so i apologize, for i am speaking from the experience of the only car i have coilovers on, my (nissan) 240sx. the coilovers have pillowball mounts and camber plates.
Old 06-15-12, 08:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

IS suspensions = NO Camber plates...

~ Joe Z
Old 06-15-12, 08:41 AM
Gotpancit
Driver School Candidate

Yeah dude, def need more front camber. I'd make sure your toe in isn't too much either. They make camber bolts that you can use for the front, IIRC. I haven't done it on the lexus but they are available online. Just google Camber bolt, or suspension crash bolt. It's like a little oblong bolt.

poor tires lol.
Old 06-15-12, 04:14 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
IS suspensions = NO Camber plates...

~ Joe Z
that's what I had thought...

Originally Posted by Gotpancit
Yeah dude, def need more front camber. I'd make sure your toe in isn't too much either. They make camber bolts that you can use for the front, IIRC. I haven't done it on the lexus but they are available online. Just google Camber bolt, or suspension crash bolt. It's like a little oblong bolt.

poor tires lol.
hmmm interesting.... have never heard of this option before. I searched however for ones avail for the F, and none were found.. I guess I'll be ordering SPC ball joints... unless Fig's Upper control arms end up being a better solution!
Old 06-15-12, 04:32 PM
SungMM
Driver School Candidate

please shoot a picture of the entire tread. from those pictures, it does seem you must run more camber in the front. if you have any pictures of your tire right after the a run, please post those as well.
Old 06-15-12, 05:28 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

If you go with coilovers and lower the car your camber is going to be more negative than what it is on stock height. Depending on how low you go, the camber might conveniently be where you want it ~2.5 degrees.

If you are on stock suspension you'll have to specifically go with aftermarket camber adjustments that's already been stated.
Old 06-15-12, 06:07 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SungMM
please shoot a picture of the entire tread. from those pictures, it does seem you must run more camber in the front. if you have any pictures of your tire right after the a run, please post those as well.
I'll try to get a pic of the entire tread on here in the next couple of days, but it will basically show the outside 3" are toast and the middle/inside with plenty of tread... I don't have any pics "right after" a run unfortuneately..

Originally Posted by K3RRY
If you go with coilovers and lower the car your camber is going to be more negative than what it is on stock height. Depending on how low you go, the camber might conveniently be where you want it ~2.5 degrees.

If you are on stock suspension you'll have to specifically go with aftermarket camber adjustments that's already been stated.
I wish I could use that as an excuse for my wife to just go ahead and buy coilovers now for another $2-3K, but she's already super pissed about the replacement tires, new wheels/R-comps and doubt she'd go for that... LOL

Last edited by ERDoc74; 06-15-12 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-16-12, 03:35 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Maybe you need more air in the front tires? I got some white crayons and marked the sidewalls and kept on raising pressures until I saw that the sidewalls weren't being scrubbed off. I ended up with 45 psi!!!
Old 06-16-12, 07:42 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I'll try to get a pic of the entire tread on here in the next couple of days, but it will basically show the outside 3" are toast and the middle/inside with plenty of tread... I don't have any pics "right after" a run unfortuneately..

I wish I could use that as an excuse for my wife to just go ahead and buy coilovers now for another $2-3K, but she's already super pissed about the replacement tires, new wheels/R-comps and doubt she'd go for that... LOL
LOL. I have Tein H-Tech springs in front and the drop increased my NEG camber to 1.9. just so you know you have that inexpensive alternative. The lowered front geometry and increased negative camber should alleviate your outside wear issue and increase your front cornering bite.

Quick Reply: Don't I need more negative camber up front?