ISF, driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 07:52 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF, driving in snow?

Hi all~

I know F is not meant to be driven on the snow, but sadly (?) F is the only vehicle I own and I live in north NJ area. This upcoming winter will be my first winter with F and i dont plan to drive during snow fall. But as you know sometimes snow falls while I am driving, so I would really appreciate for all of your advise and tips on driving snow.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-12, 07:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Hi, please try the forum search feature to get instant answers, no waiting. Found these just by searching for 'snow' in thread titles in the IS-F forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...highlight=snow
Old 06-08-12, 08:01 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car drives just fine in the snow but your biggest factor is tire selection. If you running summer tires in the winter even the smallest amount of accumulation is going to make driving unpleasant. Best advice I have is to be prepared with a good set of all seasons or dedicated winter tires based on your typical weather conditions in the NE.
Old 06-08-12, 08:11 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter tyres and you'll be pretty much fine.
Old 06-08-12, 08:21 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

It's doable with good tires, but I wouldn't do it.

Don't let the salt and other debris ruin your finish. Just buy a $1k beater Civic or something.
Old 06-08-12, 08:34 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

thanks for the replies. I did search "Snow" before I made the thread, but I guess I really suck at searching.....
Old 06-08-12, 10:43 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M K S
It's doable with good tires, but I wouldn't do it.

Don't let the salt and other debris ruin your finish. Just buy a $1k beater Civic or something.
THIS.

I don't understand how other ISF owners can daily drive their cars and dump a few grand worth of mods into it, but not have a beater for snow or inclement weather. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-12, 10:49 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
THIS.

I don't understand how other ISF owners can daily drive their cars and dump a few grand worth of mods into it, but not have a beater for snow or inclement weather. Just my 2 cents.
..because living in a condo or small semi in a major metropolitan city leaves very little room for storage of multiple vehicles. Storage can also be stupid expensive for 4 - 6 months of the year.

Digger08
Old 06-08-12, 11:41 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To the op I would bypass all seasons and get dedicate winter tires. leave it on snow mode and u should be fine.
Old 06-08-12, 06:42 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I drive with my IS-F in Chicago winters. Make sure you buy some dedicated winter tires, drive like a normal person and you will be fine. Please remember that the winter tires do not have the best dry traction in temps above 40 F.

The car does not make tons of low end torque, so its not too bad driving. It was more challenging driving RWD pushrod American V8's than it is with the F.
Old 06-08-12, 06:57 PM
Murajitul
Rookie

Thank you all for your replies!

and after reading the threads....winter tire is a must. But now here is really stupid question....xP

is it really necessary to replace all four tires with winter tires? If I leave the front with summer tires then I assume I will lose traction in front and cannot steer?

And which brand and type do you recommend for affordable and decent winter tire sets. is it better to get wheels too? or stock wheels can do the same job? (I have '11 F btw)
Old 06-08-12, 07:07 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Murajitul
Thank you all for your replies!

and after reading the threads....winter tire is a must. But now here is really stupid question....xP

is it really necessary to replace all four tires with winter tires? If I leave the front with summer tires then I assume I will lose traction in front and cannot steer?

And which brand and type do you recommend for affordable and decent winter tire sets. is it better to get wheels too? or stock wheels can do the same job? (I have '11 F btw)
you answered your first question.... (if you want to be able to steer... you need all four tires to be snow tires..... )
lots of people (including myself) use bridgestone blizzacks. I have a second set of ISF wheels ('08 style) for my winter setup, but many use 18" wheels for the winter setup.
Old 06-08-12, 07:07 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Yes. Use 4 snow tires. It's not worth the risk for a few hundred dollars.
Old 06-08-12, 08:10 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
THIS.

LOL VJ
STOP TALKING ABOUT ME!!! lolz Running Potenzas in the winter time + snow :P
BTW I'm too poor to afford a beater, want to loan me some money for 1??
Old 06-09-12, 03:24 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

im too poor to afford a beater as well, not to mention paying for insurance, registration, and maintenance for a vehicle that gets hardly used. this will be my first winter with only RWD, and gonna invest on some wheels and tires for snow.

Quick Reply: ISF, driving in snow?