IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 02:44 PM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track

Has anyone tried using spacers and widening the stance? If yes then how wide and what were the results? Any pictures? Also like an idiot I have been posting in the other forum and realized this one is more lively. Lou is there is a way to bring all the posts into this forum.
Ash
Old 05-22-12, 02:49 PM
poorbong
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

lol...you're not gonna get a lot positive respond out of this question..but not many people use spacers in this forum.
Old 05-22-12, 02:58 PM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure what you mean by positive response in this forum. There were two questions here. One is about the spacers and whether or not anyone has tried it. The other thing was about <using> the earlier/old forum, which is dead (kind of). I am sorry if my language (rather casual one) confused you.
Old 05-22-12, 03:26 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are more people that run spacers than they let on..
Theres just a lot of negative feedback from members tho because some IS guys had issues where the spacers had broke. One I saw had cracked, another one had a bolt that cracked. Luckily it was caught early, but it could have been dangerous. I am thinking about getting them for the time being. Having lowered my car, the stock wheels sit awkwardly. Until I buy some new wheels, I will risk spacers for the sake of looking good.
Old 05-22-12, 03:35 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

i know many people is against it, but i ran spacer before and never had a problem.. If you do decide to get spacer i would recommend getting the one where you need to change out the stud.
Old 05-22-12, 04:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by ashutoshvs
Has anyone tried using spacers and widening the stance? If yes then how wide and what were the results? Any pictures? Also like an idiot I have been posting in the other forum and realized this one is more lively. Lou is there is a way to bring all the posts into this forum.
Ash
Don't know of a way to get posts from "the other forum" to this one As far as spacers go, look at these two threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-oem-19s.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ck-wheels.html

Spacers would be a BIG for me

Lou
Old 05-22-12, 04:19 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

I have spacers on my F with no issues. I do not track nor recommend tracking with spacers, but as for aesthetics purposes..It does its job of clearing the calipers and making my wheels flush with my car. Best way is to get wheels with a proper offset so you can just bypass spacers and possibly studs..I needed new studs as well for my wheels.
Old 05-22-12, 04:19 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good read on spacers
Old 05-22-12, 04:22 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

FYI..check out the SoCal cruises. My F is the obsidian with the only aftermarket wheels present.
Old 05-22-12, 04:36 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask ApexSports....he runs a 15mm space in the front and 20mm spacer in the rear with factory wheels. I think he's running 275s in the rear tire though....
Old 05-22-12, 05:52 PM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for some good info. I am going to read on it a little. I am running 285 on the rear and 245 in the front on stock wheels.
Old 05-22-12, 07:16 PM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

I have been running spacers on most of my cars for the past 3-4 years with good results. I have never had any issues with vibration, spacers cracking, nor wheels falling off. I currently have 15mm Ichiba V2 Spacers on my 2010 with stock wheels and tire sizes on the rear. It makes the wheel/tire fit flush with no rubs... I just ordered another set of 15mm for the front wheels to get the whole car even.

There are many people who will give negative feedback compared to those with positive feedback; but people are prone to post the negative of something before the positives so do not be scared... I have a had good luck using them so far and if I ever have bad luck you will hear about it.

Here are a few before and after pix, let me know what you think. The fronts are not on yet but the order was just placed :-)
Attached Thumbnails Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-25368396472.318724771.im1.04.565x421_a.562x421.jpg   Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-25368396497.318724771.im1.29.565x421_a.562x421.jpg   Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-img_3328.jpg   Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-img_3395.jpg   Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-img_3396.jpg  

Old 05-22-12, 09:36 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gotten a number of PM's (thanks Tommy lol) regarding whether to use spacers so I'll try to answer the questions here at one time. This is my opinion on the subject, and only my opinion...

As previously stated, it's "possible" that a person can run into issues with cracks forming or broken lugs. The instances of this happening are very uncommon IMO. Uncommon in comparison to the sheer number of people who have used them on different makes of cars since the inception of spacers. To this concern, each individual needs to look at their own personal fear threshold of "possibility" vs probability. For me personally, and coming from 20+ years of tracking motorcycles at speeds approaching 200mph lol, I don't "worry" about running spacers on a street car.

The 2nd thing is that the spacers can add premature wear to the wheel bearings. IMO this kind of comes down to how long the person plans to keep the car, and whether they can financially afford to service the wheel bearings (if need be.)

Regarding the possible crack/broken lug fears, if you're the type to throw your wheels on after brake service and then not pull the wheels again for the next 1-2 years, I wouldn't recommend running spacers. Again, this is my opinion, but if you pull your wheels once every few months for a quick inspection and check the torque specs it can go a long way in catching any problems (if they were to happen.) I pull my wheels once a month to inspect my brake lines, calipers etc, so I check the torque specs on the spacers at the same time.

If you're tracking the car, I wouldn't recommend spacers for obvious reasons. At a spirited street pace in the canyons, the car handles on rails and feels more planted and sure-footed with the spacers IMO. At elevated track speeds, I'm positive the spacers would hinder performance, let alone take a beating due to the much higher Gforces. Anyone interested can check out our Idyllwild canyon run from this past weekend to see what I refer to IMO as a "spirited street pace". My F is the car the camera car is following...

Refer to post #94 and #99 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-cruise-7.html

I'm running 20mm spacers in the rear and 15's in the front. IMO it brings the wheels out to a nice aggressive stance. I love the stock wheels and feel they are a big part of what makes an F so sexy, so I'm personally not interested in an aftermarket wheel with offsets. Because I'm running Michelin PSS's in a 275 rear, and lowered 1.5 inches on KW's, we shaved my rear fenders. This is due to the PSS's being so "squared off" in their width profile on the stock rims...

Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-2312-sharpened.jpg

Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-10a.jpg

Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-img_1677.jpg

Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track-2299-sharpened.jpg

IMO, use spacers if you want to. It's your car (not the forums car) and that's what matters.
Old 05-22-12, 10:30 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Those pics just don't do the car justice...based on my calculation, it looks 73.86x better in person.

Everything Brian says is right...wider track...risk of wearing out wheel bearings because of the load of the car...and if you run too thick of a spacer, i recommend you use extended wheel studs and open wheel locks if you're that concerned.
Old 05-23-12, 11:33 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

What kind of spacers are you running on you Black F? Mine I have the studded spacers made by Ichiba (V2). In general, it seems like the studded spacers are more safe and easier to run on any car... Any opinion on studded spacers vs extended studs?

Quick Reply: Using Spacers in the Rear and widening the wheel track