IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Time for new front brakes on my ISF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 07:56 AM
vudaddy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time for new front brakes on my ISF

Hello everyone I'm somewhat of a noob here. I've had my 08 ISF for about 6 months now. She had 31k miles when I bought her and now has about 40k. My mechanic noticed that it's almost time to get new pads and he thinks it'll be around $1000. When buying the F I did notice that there was plenty of meat left on the OEM pads but now see on CL that these don't last at all. Can anyone recommend pads or maybe pads/rotor setup that would be better as far as longevity? I've read posts about hawk and stoptech but haven't seem to find any on how long you've had them on for before replacing again. I'm just a daily aggressive driver no tracking or racing. I don't have any mods yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-12, 07:58 AM
vudaddy
Rookie

*edit: $1000 was to have new front pads and rotors
Please forgive me know if I don't have enough info
Old 05-20-12, 08:10 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Complete Brake Thread

Search is your friend

If you don't track your car then I'm almost 100% your front rotors are still in good shape. Get them measured, 28mm or less then you need to replace them.
As for front pads, you can get some as cheap as 60 bux for the front set. If you can change your own pads tnen it'll be cheaper. If not any brake shop will do it for 100bux or less.
Old 05-20-12, 08:55 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original pads are a nightmare with excessive dust so you will be far better off with a brand that does not create those issues. Much of it is a matter opinion on your final choice as during a search, you will find several good options. If you do replace the rotors now or down the road, I would not go for OEM there either. Same searching will give you good info.

Where in Texas are you?
Old 05-20-12, 09:06 AM
vudaddy
Rookie

Thanks for the info I'm in Houston
Old 06-06-12, 01:59 PM
joe0057
Driver School Candidate

If you are under warranty go to dealer and complain about brake squeak They'll replace pads and refinish rotors.
Old 06-06-12, 08:21 PM
dapinitiaL
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, change the pads yourself and tell the machine ship to "turn the rotors." Probably save you $600... but I don't have an F... yet... so what do I know...
Old 06-06-12, 08:47 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Performance car....6 piston brakes...regardless you're going to get brake dust. I'm using Hawk Pads for the front, they were like 100 bucks compared to 280ish for OEM pads...I know for sure these things don't stop as well as the OEM pads... Gotta pay to play.

You can also get Centric rotors for like $100 bucks each...much less than the 250-300 per disc for OEM Brembos
Old 06-06-12, 08:59 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Good choice and I really don't see any difference with the stopping power other than slightly less aggressive initial bite. A short time with them and you will not have any complaints.

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Performance car....6 piston brakes...regardless you're going to get brake dust. I'm using Hawk Pads for the front, they were like 100 bucks compared to 280ish for OEM pads...I know for sure these things don't stop as well as the OEM pads... Gotta pay to play.

You can also get Centric rotors for like $100 bucks each...much less than the 250-300 per disc for OEM Brembos

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-06-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 09:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by dapinitiaL
Yeah, change the pads yourself and tell the machine ship to "turn the rotors." Probably save you $600... but I don't have an F... yet... so what do I know...
Why would you remove metal from the rotors when it only shortens their service life?
Old 06-07-12, 07:15 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, but it bothers me when people who don't own an F comment on how to maintain it. Even some of us who own an F still have a lot to learn.

To the OP: like Lobux says, don't get them turned. Get the mechanic to measure the rotors in front of you, and if it's 28mm or less get them replaced like others have said. Make sure the mechanic measures it in front of you. You don't want to throw away rotors that have plenty of life left.

Also, I spoke to various dealers directly about the rear brake squeak TSB, they won't replace them if you have less than 5mm or so left on the pads. In that case everybody could just get rear pads for free, which dealers want to avoid
Old 06-07-12, 08:12 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Also, I spoke to various dealers directly about the rear brake squeak TSB, they won't replace them if you have less than 5mm or so left on the pads. In that case everybody could just get rear pads for free, which dealers want to avoid
Because if that was the case, i'd just clean off all the goop they put on and complain it was squeaking...replace my ish!

Yeah right...we live in America....COME ON NOW!
Old 06-07-12, 01:16 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have raybestos rotor and stoptech pads

the bite feels just as good as stockm less dust, and no squeeks

as for longevity i only had them on for about ~1000 miles so i cant really say
Old 06-11-12, 05:23 AM
vudaddy
Rookie

Thanks guys. I may end up buying from sewell
Old 06-23-12, 12:45 PM
vudaddy
Rookie

I went with Sewell. Spent A total of $742.63 including shipping and taxes. Put them on myself with the help of someone else. Took us about 1 hr and 10 minutes. Not hard at all

Quick Reply: Time for new front brakes on my ISF