Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 12:31 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
the lighter wallet is what makes you go faster

but in serious I doubt you can feel any difference running 100 octane

thanks for the feedback.. i had a feeling that the light wallet would be the answer to that question
Old 05-24-12, 03:51 PM
pierre2k5
Driver School Candidate

Good info you guys. I was wondering that myself. :-)
Old 05-29-12, 07:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Any fuel that brings its own oxygen to the party can make more power if the engine can adjust for it. Why do you think Top Fuel and Funny Cars run alcohol and nitromethane? Fuels with oxygen do their best in carbureted engines in racing series with size restrictions. Since you can't go bigger with the carburetor, you add oxygen to the fuel to get more power from the same size throttleplate. In our engines, you're just changing the total amount of oxygen available for combustion to slightly above atmospheric conditions, so, sure, it can make more power.

I still wouldn't run it on the street though. Way too much money for daily driving with zero advantage at anything less than WOT.
Old 05-29-12, 07:37 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MS109 is unleaded so it won't hurt your cats but like everyone is saying its not going to be worth the money unless you have boost, higher CR, or nitrous. If I lived in CA and only had the lower octane at the pump I might add a gallon our two of VP100 or MS109 to bump the octane value but that's it.

On a side note..... There is nothing like the sweet smell of C16 in the morning
Old 05-29-12, 12:43 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by RCB
MS109 is unleaded so it won't hurt your cats but like everyone is saying its not going to be worth the money unless you have boost, higher CR, or nitrous. If I lived in CA and only had the lower octane at the pump I might add a gallon our two of VP100 or MS109 to bump the octane value but that's it.

On a side note..... There is nothing like the sweet smell of C16 in the morning
im running 14psi and a 100 shot of nitrous, so C16 is my best friend lol. plus im running a sraight pipe so i can use leaded.
Old 05-29-12, 02:07 PM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

I use 102 octane almost all the time. (Almost all gas stations have 98 100 or 102 octane.
I dont notice any difference in performance. If I run 102 octane (at least one tank), then I see a bit better fuel consumption. But that doesnt offset the extra cost.
Old 05-30-12, 12:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
I use 102 octane almost all the time. (Almost all gas stations have 98 100 or 102 octane.
I dont notice any difference in performance. If I run 102 octane (at least one tank), then I see a bit better fuel consumption. But that doesnt offset the extra cost.
Your 98 = US 87. Your 102 = US 93. Overseas only the research number is used. In the US we use (research + motor)/2 so our numbers are lower, but the quality is the same as what you get. In the world of motorsports nobody cares about research, the only number worth considering is motor because it measures knock resistance under heavy load. In Europe they call the spread between research and motor "sensitivity" as some fuels have a wider spread between the two depending on the base stock and additive package. High sensitivity fuels are not recommended for motorsports or other high load activities.
Old 05-30-12, 04:24 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
^ imma install a fish tank air pump in my fuel tank now
Lemme know where you get the pump at, I didn't see it on the automotive section on Ebay!
At the track in other cars I have used 100 and haven't seen a difference.

Last edited by 2ndGF; 05-30-12 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-12, 11:40 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, if VP109 brings some extra oxygen to the party - doesn't that make the car run a little leaner? Or does our ECU adjust for it and bring it back down because the max octane tune is 93?

I might have to try this at the next trip to the strip. I'll run down the 93 octane until 0 miles to empty and then put 5 gallons of VP109 unleaded gas.
Old 10-18-12, 07:07 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to mix 101 octane in my GT-R when running 20psi through the turbos. Made it a 10 second car on tune only. But like everyone else said, FI is where higher octanes will benefit due to the raise in boost. Really for tuned engines. This higher octane fuel should only benefit a tuned F (if it ever happens....I'm watching the thread).
Old 10-18-12, 01:37 PM
Petshark
Driver

Don't assume that high octane fuel helps on nitrous motors, and your naturally aspirated motor too. A naturally aspirated motor is tuned for a particular octane of gas, adding more doesn't help one bit. An engine is tuned to fuel not the other way around, and since our Ecu is locked down, it won't benefit you. Save your money
Old 10-18-12, 03:39 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Any thing above 93 in a NA car(excluding racecars) isn't worth it even you go to the track with it, on FI car's like others have said it does squeeze out a few extra HP, but anything above 93 for a NA car(excluding racecars) not worth it under any circumstances...
Old 10-18-12, 05:58 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Any fuel that brings its own oxygen to the party can make more power if the engine can adjust for it. Why do you think Top Fuel and Funny Cars run alcohol and nitromethane? Fuels with oxygen do their best in carbureted engines in racing series with size restrictions. Since you can't go bigger with the carburetor, you add oxygen to the fuel to get more power from the same size throttleplate. In our engines, you're just changing the total amount of oxygen available for combustion to slightly above atmospheric conditions, so, sure, it can make more power.

I still wouldn't run it on the street though. Way too much money for daily driving with zero advantage at anything less than WOT.
if there is no traffic than I am at WOT..so there may be a benefit
Old 10-18-12, 07:50 PM
Petshark
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

That's with a tune, on a N/A motor doesn't matter what throttle position you are at, ***** to the wall, pedal to the metal, without a tune it doesn't do anything expect drain your checkbook quicker which could be considered weight reduction, so I guess it would make you go faster
Old 10-18-12, 07:53 PM
7No
Intermediate

Looks like MS109 is oxygenated with MTBE since they also sell an MS109E which is oxygenated with ethanol. Race gas and MTBE mix your own would probably be cheaper if you could find it in small quantities. A lot of states have outlawed use of MTBE. Why not just race gas and some E85?
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/motoroadracing.html

Last edited by 7No; 10-18-12 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Racing fuel 100/110 octane