IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sluggish shifts in M mode.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 01:13 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FieryISF
Not necessarily. Look, my M3 had the DCT and my Maser had the F1 tranny, and both blipped on downshifts even under 2k rpm. Now both were automated manual tranny’s vs. the automatic 8 speed in the ISF, but if Lexus went as far as rev matching the downshifts, why not offer it in all RMP range??

I’m sure I’m not the only one that finds this annoying. With that said, I’m new to this car, and if this is normal operation, is a tune available that would add the blips to entire rpm range including between 1-2k.
Not sure, but this isn't a true DCT transmission, its a "normal" automatic trans with a torque converter.
Old 05-11-12, 02:36 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Not necessarily. Look, my M3 had the DCT and my Maser had the F1 tranny, and both blipped on downshifts even under 2k rpm. Now both were automated manual tranny’s vs. the automatic 8 speed in the ISF, but if Lexus went as far as rev matching the downshifts, why not offer it in all RMP range??

I’m sure I’m not the only one that finds this annoying. With that said, I’m new to this car, and if this is normal operation, is a tune available that would add the blips to entire rpm range including between 1-2k.
I guess I forgot to use the sarcasm font. My point was that when I'm in Sport Manual mode I'm usually in a "spirited" driving mood and the engine rarely gets below 4,500 rpm.

I know what you mean and I have no idea why it operates the way it does, must have been a decision made by an engineer at Toyota. Honestly I don't believe the transmission has to do ANY throttle blips, seeing as it is a standard automatic with a torque converter. I believe the blip is more of a marketing feature to "thrill" the senses when making high rev downshifts.
Old 05-11-12, 06:57 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Deff normal
Old 05-11-12, 08:49 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds normal for sure.

But what has made me wonder about things is, I believe, the variable valve timing. There are times when I'll ease off the gas and the rpms will drop slightly, but then drop even further. Or the opposite where around 2500rpm or so I don't feel a hesitations but there is a slight "meh" when giving casual acceleration.

Full WOT neither of these are issues...it's just the pedestrian cruising where I can tell the car isn't being driven as hard as it desires lol.
Old 05-12-12, 07:31 AM
t4orce
Rookie

I know what the OP means about M3 blipping downshift on everything. I was in one recently and it sounded nice. My ISF is my first automatic and I wished it blipped everywhere in the rev range. I heel and toed everywhere in my manual V8 S4 and it sounded great.

Granted the F sounds epic in the higher rev range on downshift but down low its very tame.

I find it hard to cruise sedately in my F. I hate the car for being sluggish and sloppy. It's indecisive and clumsy with throttle response and gear changes. So mines in sport manual/auto most of the time apart from startup. The only problem is in that mode is that it needs to be driven aggressively which will cost my licence I'm sure.
Old 12-01-12, 08:22 PM
LexusISF23
Driver School Candidate

I have also been experiencing sluggish or rather laggy shifts while in M mode. I test drove 2 used ISF's before purchasing a new 2012, and while in sport mode in Manual, i was amazed at how fast and SMOOTH the car shifted gears. With my new car however, i have been experiencing laggish response times while shifting gears in M mode. It's difficult to describe, but its like my body is being jolted around when shifting, almost as if I'm briefly letting of the acceleration when shifting (which of course I'm not). And when the car is in sport mode and in Auto, the car seems to stay in high gears way too long before shifting to the next gear. So basically I've been driving in auto non-sport mode always because thats the only way my car shifts smoothly...
Old 12-02-12, 05:29 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The F has a direct shift transmission. In true manual mode, it is the fast shifting transmission in the world for a street legal production vehicle. The M3 and Maser do not have the same shifting speed.

Why would we need blips at 1-2k rpm?
Old 12-02-12, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
The F has a direct shift transmission. In true manual mode, it is the fast shifting transmission in the world for a street legal production vehicle. The M3 and Maser do not have the same shifting speed.

Why would we need blips at 1-2k rpm?
I don't think this is accurate. DCT gearboxes shift way faster than anything else available including our F. The F at 100msec is no match for the VW DSG at 8 msec. No fanboi here, just stating facts as documented by any number of sources.

Originally Posted by http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7902
Now, here is actual documentation to support shift speeds and the reason why a dual clutch transmission simply can not be approached by an automatic or manual.

A dual clutch transmission is essentially two manual transmissions in one housing. One gear set is responsible for odd gears and one gear set is responsible for even gears. The next gear is essentially already preselected. When one gear set is disengaged, the other is already in gear and it is basically an instantaneous shift with no perceivable interruption. It happens forty times faster than the blink of an eye.

The VW group has their DSG numbers published and they are 8 milliseconds. Basically, a human being can not even perceive the gear change.

The fastest automatic in the world is the Lexus IS-F gearbox, at 100 ms. The ZF transmission in BMW's is at the 200 ms mark.

Unfortunately, a person with extreme bias posted numbers without realizing what they were posting or willing to admit reality, skewing numbers to misrepresent the facts due to personal issues.

Well, here are the numbers with support.

A long shift time is considered anything over 625 ms

The average manual car driver: 500 ms - 1 s
Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms
Ferrari 575M: 220 ms
BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 220 ms
Ferrari 360: 150 ms
Enzo Ferrari: 150 ms
Lexus LFA: 150 ms
Ferrari FXX: Under 100 ms
Nissan GT-R: 100ms
BMW M3 E46 with SMG II: 80 ms
Ferrari 430 Scuderia & FXX Evoluzione: 60 ms
Volkswagen Golf GTI (Direct Shift): 8 ms
Bugatti Veyron (Direct Shift): 8 ms
All Volkswagen DSG Gearbox (Direct Shift): 8 ms

The source for shift times as well as DSG information is here if one is interested: http://paultan.org/2006/06/26/vw-pha...s-way-for-dsg/ (sorry, dead link)

BMW has not posted official shift times for the DCT unfortunately. Why not? Getrag just hasn't released the info officially but 4 ms has been posted as a "leak" on M3post.

The Nissan GTR time is stated odd and I believe it is simply due to how Nissan explains it cutting the shift time in R mode vs. regular mode. The GR6 Borg Warner tranny is not shifting slower than sequential manuals, just does not make sense. Maybe it is 100 ms though, but that would just be odd.

Just how big of a difference does the DCT make? Even vs. the best auto transmission in the world for shift speed, it will be picking up a conservative tenth per shift. What about vs. a manual? Well, here is a professional driver in a manual car vs. the same car in DSG, see for yourself:
Old 12-02-12, 06:38 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

yeah i think the new DCT shifts fast, well to me, it feels faster than the F.
Old 12-02-12, 06:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Thanks everyone. I was hoping that's the case, but wanted to double check.

On another note, what's up with no blips under 2k rmp?? My M3 with DCT would blip under 2k, which reluslted in much smoother downshifts for 3-2-1. It's not so much noticeble in higher gears.
I'm going to step out on a limb here and assume rmp is actually rpm - revolutions minute per doesn't make sense. That aside, there really is no reason to blip the throttle below 2k rpm - blipping the throttle is intended to match engine speed with road speed. Gear changes are percentage changes, so the lower the rpm, the less the difference between engine speed and road speed. If BMW chose to make the throttle blip at low rpm, it's more for show than anything else. And yes, the real question is, why are you at 2000 rpm in manual mode (unless you're in 2nd and rolling to a stop)? The TCU is going to downshift whether you choose to or not because they've designed the system to prevent rod bearing damage from lugging the engine.

Finally - confirming - the transmission is absolutely limited in what it will do when the engine is cold - the Factory Service Manual says the transmission is inhibited from shifting into 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th based on THW, the engine coolant temperature sensor signal. While there is definitely an ATF temperature sensor, it is not used to determine whether the gearbox will shift or not, and there is a very lengthy explanation of how the TCU micro-modulates pressure in the gearbox based on ATF temperature. So Lexus has not seen fit to restrict us from using higher gears except when the engine itself is cold. This is very different from the 6 speed autos in the other 2IS. They are not allowed to engage higher gears until the ATF is up to temperature. I can only assume this is because those gearboxes do not have the software to manage the clutch pressures the way the AA80E does.
Old 12-03-12, 08:13 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Should have just stayed with your M3 or your Maser if your wanted it to be like that
Old 12-03-12, 08:43 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Yeah same here. I would recommend leaving it in auto until warm. Theres no benefit or enjoyment having it in manual before it has reached its operating temperature...Im not questioning your driving expertise, but you probably don't want to ruin the tranny.

But yeah to my knowledge all isf's experience what you are experiencing.
Old 12-03-12, 04:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't think this is accurate. DCT gearboxes shift way faster than anything else available including our F. The F at 100msec is no match for the VW DSG at 8 msec. No fanboi here, just stating facts as documented by any number of sources.

Here's why I call manual shift cars dinosaurs.
Let's agree it's ONE of the fastest transmissions in a production car...certainly faster than the M3.
Old 12-03-12, 05:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ISF001
Let's agree it's ONE of the fastest transmissions in a production car...certainly faster than the M3.
The SMG M3 for sure. Keep in mind, there's also a 200 msec "preparation time" for the F to shift. It's pretty well documented. Of course the marketing people latched on to the 100 msec actual shift time, but the F really does take 300 msec total from the time you hit the switch until the gear change is complete.

Yes, I agree, it's far quicker than I am, and every time I drive my 6 speed Supra I am reminded of how much better a computer can shift gears.
Old 12-04-12, 09:11 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The SMG M3 for sure. Keep in mind, there's also a 200 msec "preparation time" for the F to shift. It's pretty well documented. Of course the marketing people latched on to the 100 msec actual shift time, but the F really does take 300 msec total from the time you hit the switch until the gear change is complete.

Yes, I agree, it's far quicker than I am, and every time I drive my 6 speed Supra I am reminded of how much better a computer can shift gears.

It begs the question: how many of these have omitted preparation times? I suspect many of them.

Quick Reply: Sluggish shifts in M mode.....