IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Used IS-F worth it ??? Story inside !

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 03:20 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Used IS-F worth it ??? Story inside !

Just wanted to get different opinions from everyone on here before I make a big mistake or try to cut a deal on a Used 2009 Lexus IS-F. See the story below.

Just want to start off by saying, I love AK (Local dealership) and AK Lexus, which is the reason why my Fiance and I decided to get her a 2012 IS350 F Sport... But they just put a bad taste in our mouths by having us come across a huge SCAM from their Used Auto Lot. I understand the business of turning/flipping cars, and how the whole dealership markup and commission works. However I was browsing their Used Inventory and had my fiance call to inquire about a car for 2 reasons: 1. Shes in the learning phase of cars and it would be a good experience. 2. Sales people rather deal with females who think they dont know much about cars. <- this would work to my advantage so I could turn around and make a better offer from the price given to her. Without further to do...

Here is the story:
Fiance: Calling and inquiring about your Used Lexus IS-F
AK: Yes, its a 09 with 15,000 miles and going for $47,990. But the price is negociable.
Fiance: Ok, we would like to get it for $41,000 maybe $42,000 at the most and we will be down to pick it up today!
AK: Oh im sorry $42,000 is too low. I cant do it for that price.
Fiance: Really ? Why is that ?
AK: Well the actual Blue Book on the car is more worth $47,990 so $47,990 is a good deal already.
Fiance: But I thought you said the price was negociable ? So you dont want to sell the car for less ?
AK: Yes we would like to sell the car, but the lowest we can go is $46,000.
Fiance: How is that negociable if you are set on selling for $46,000? But didnt you guys just buy this car from someone for $39,000 ?
AK: Oh no ma'am we had this car.
Fiance: Im pretty sure you just bought this car from someone that was selling it in the newspaper for only $39,000.
AK: Um... well... No we didnt.
Fiance: Well the car is an 09 ISF Black and the mileage is around 15,000 im pretty sure you bought this from the guy from the paper. Its the same description.
AK: Ok it is the one from the newspaper but we didnt get it for $39,000, we went back and forth with the price with the guy and we turned around and got it for $47,990 thats the reason why we advertised it for that price.
Fiance: Thats weird cause I know thats the Blue Book Price, so how could you have bought it for $47,990 if the buy was only asking for $39,000 ? and then turn around and resale for Blue Book Value ?
AK: (In a STUMPED Voice) Ok who told you we bought it for $39,000?
Fiance: Nobody... Well, you just did. So I understand how dealers work and sales commission so I would like to buy it for $41,000 no more than $42,000.
AK: Im sorry we cant sell it for that price cause of Dealership Overhead, Commission for the salesman and Transfer Fees.
Fiance: What commission if I was the one eager to buy the car for a price I know Im paying more for what you bought the car for.
AK: Im sorry ma'am $46,000 is the lowest we will go.
Fiance: Oh ok then, well thanks for your time, but no thank you. (Hangs Phone)

She later tells me her story and said, "Please dont let me call there again, they are kinda shady about the IS-F and he was really shocked to know I knew anything about cars or that I knew that it was the same car from the newspaper" ... " You taught me well "

My reply: LOL, Sorry for making them **** you off... and Yes my love, I did teach you well, but "Much you have to learn my Young Padawan. "

Stealership: AK Toyota/ Lexus Guam
Car: 2009
Make: Lexus
Model: IS-F
Mileage: 15,XXX
Color: Black
Dealership Asking Price: $47,990
Dealership So called Negociated Lowest Price: $46,000

Original Ad in the paper for the same car, Asking Price: $39,000 FIRM

Total Dealer Mark up for buying the car from the paper and washing it: $7,000 ! ! ! * Lexus IS-F OR WT-F AK Lexus !?! *

What a SCAM !

So with that being said.
Do you guys think the IS-F is still worth their asking price ?
Should I take it for $46,000 although willingly knowing they only bought it for $39,000 ?

Or should I raise my middle finger and tell them they would always be #1 in my heart ???

On another note, they have a Brand New 2012 MM IS-F coming in next month freshly built from Japan for $62,500. <- Should I just wait to grab that instead ?

Opinions greatly appreciated ! Thanks Club Lexus !
Old 05-03-12, 03:28 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car is worth whatever market value is. just because they may have gotten a super sweet deal doesnt mean they have to pass it on to you
Old 05-03-12, 03:40 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a dealership, thats what they do, its nothing new. Don't expect to buy an F at a dealership for a private sale price...thats where you started off wrong.
You could get a 2010 for 4 more grand prob with less miles

Good luck finding your car
Old 05-03-12, 03:48 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soupdawg
the car is worth whatever market value is. just because they may have gotten a super sweet deal doesnt mean they have to pass it on to you
Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Its a dealership, thats what they do, its nothing new. Don't expect to buy an F at a dealership for a private sale price...thats where you started off wrong.

Thanks for the feedback guys ! I totally understand how dealerships work, just wanted to know if it would be worth it ? Plus I dont think they should be trying to scam people if they know about the car... thats just MHO... But Im leaning more towards the New one anyway... But I wouldnt mind saving a few thousand and using that towards performance parts. Thanks again guys !
Old 05-03-12, 03:52 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

for ref sake, i bought my 09' w/ 24k miles for $42k. but i have no idea how rare is-fs are in guam vs. southern cali.

if you can afford the brand new one, i'd probably get that one instead.

yeah, i know dealers and sales people can be shady and it definitely would put a bad taste in my mouth if you're thinking of getting into a used car. who knows what lies or truths they will say if you continue to ask about the car, as in when the maintenance was done, and so forth. also, since we're not familiar w/ the laws in guam and what they are obligated to disclose to the customers... etc.
Old 05-03-12, 04:00 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly. They're in the business of making money. The previous owner could've been desperate enough to let go of the car for a lot less than its worth. I'm not siding with the dealer, it's just business 101. Buy low, sell high.

If you want a good deal, you'll have to be patient. The only advantage you'll get by buying from a Lexus dealer is that the car will be certified. Or you can buy private party and add on the extended warranty. Don't rush with your decisions. I'm sure you'll find a right deal. Good luck.

Terrance
Old 05-03-12, 04:10 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't think it's fair to call the dealer a scam. They are in the business to make money as much as you are to get a good deal. It doesn't matter how much they paid for this car, they need to make money for dealer. My question is if you knew someone was selling it for $39k then why didn't you buy the car from that seller in the first place?
Old 05-03-12, 04:35 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't think it's fair to call the dealer a scam. They are in the business to make money as much as you are to get a good deal. It doesn't matter how much they paid for this car, they need to make money for dealer. My question is if you knew someone was selling it for $39k then why didn't you buy the car from that seller in the first place?
Maybe i shouldnt say the "dealer" is a scam, but more so they are trying to scam "me" from buying the car at a resonable price. I am more than willing to pay $2,000 maybe $3,000 more than what they bought the car for, knowing that if i have any issues with the car, I can easily say I bought the car "from a dealer" and should get some kind of a warranty aside from the extended warranty that im going to initially buy.

As far as buying the car from the private seller, the dealer had beat me to to, as the my loan was being processed over the phone, the private seller had contacted me saying the car was sold. So would it fair to pay $7,000 just cause they beat me to the punch ? I wouldnt think so... But just like everyone says, dealers are there to make money, so they could make their money off of someone else if they wont want to make atleast $2,000 from a "smart buyer". I dont mind spending $16,000 more to get a New One. I guess this thread was just put out there to explain my personal experience. Im calling about the New One as I type this reply.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions and replies !
Old 05-03-12, 04:44 PM
codylaoISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am Down to sell my 2011 USB ISF with 15k miles on it for 49k . I need some cash for a GTR LOL . if ya want more Info . text me at 5037099018 ( Cody)
Old 05-03-12, 05:35 PM
jchong
Driver

You have to also consider if the dealership needed to do any work to make the car certifiable I.e new tires, brakes etc... That being said its a dealership, you have to expect to pay more.
Old 05-03-12, 05:45 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by codylaoISF
I am Down to sell my 2011 USB ISF with 15k miles on it for 49k . I need some cash for a GTR LOL . if ya want more Info . text me at 5037099018 ( Cody)
WOW great freakn price!
Old 05-03-12, 05:45 PM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

From the dealer's perspective, they might think you are tryin to play them with your wife calling them and all the information she had haha jk
Old 05-03-12, 05:46 PM
FsportDFW
Driver School Candidate

It usually takes $2k-$3k to make a pre-owned ISF certifiable. The certified warranty alone costs the dealership $1000.
Old 05-03-12, 06:49 PM
ILowNslowI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans

+1...thats all dealers, what do you think they do when they buy & resell auction cars, trade ins, new, etc. If they did get it for $39k then they have a large window to make a profit so them selling it for $2-3k is not a business savvy move on their end if the can make an easy $7k profit on it if they just sit it out. Plus think if you were to buy it for $39k & its worth $46, would you sell it for $39k or try to make a bit of money on it? Someone will buy it for what they are asking or near it. Personally not a big fan of dealerships but thats a part of their 'hustle'
Old 05-03-12, 08:54 PM
RustyHook
Driver School Candidate

Not new to this forum but didn't think it was kosher to post without an ISF... but picked one up on Monday.
So I should have all of your blessings....

I bought a 2011 ISF in Las Vegas on Monday for $52K- 10,800 miles.
My brother bought an 2009 with 8,000 miles for $43.3 in California

So is $47K a stellar deal... not really. But I noticed you put down Guam... as in the Guam floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? All bets are off when that ISF might be the 1 out of 3 for sale on the entire island....I think they might have you by the nuts...

Good luck with your search!

Quick Reply: Used IS-F worth it ??? Story inside !