IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 06:51 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Fast
Are you sure its coming from the front? Go into a open parking lot, bring all your windows down, and listen, im positive its coming from the back. It may be your axles that have shifted. You said you drive your car hard, my next question is are you running and wider tires in the rear? I had this same exact problem, and its going on its second time, and its probable going to get new axles next time due to this. Its the torque the car makes compared to the thickness of the rear tires. Im almost positive if you take it to the dealer, they will heck it for hra just to come to the conclusion the axlea have shifted. There have been a few board memebers contact me because i have been doing a build on my f and somewhere in there i said something about this problem. If still under factory warranty, you shouldnt get charged. Hope this helps you nd good luck

Edit: you are running 285 in the rear. Im almost sure its your axles

For clarification you are saying
1. the weight of the car plus
2. the amount of torque the engine makes plus
3. hard driving plus
4. wider rear tires
--will make the axles shift?

Maybe in your case (with another factor?), but I have trouble believing this can be true. I am not saying your situation did not happen, but there has to be another factor or two or three to make the axles shift. Going from 255 to 285 will stress the driveline so much the axles will shift?

zapa, did you buy your car used?
Old 05-05-12, 07:06 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Zapa I'm nearly 100% certain it's the splines on your rear driver side axle. I had the same exact issue as you before and the tech finally realized it was not the brakes. Tell him to relube the splines and retorque to spec and you'll be fine at least temporarily. Reason I say temp is because now 8 months later I think the sound may be coming back.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-05-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 07:18 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to go get a video of the noise and post it on here so we can see if we had a common noise because this is driving me crazy not knowing what this is. I am positive the noise is coming from the rear though.

Yes i did buy my car used with 27000 miles and it was a certified preowned.

James, maybe i will be able to get a free set of brakes out of this like you did.
Old 05-05-12, 07:34 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Zapa I'm nearly 100% certain it's the splines on your rear driver side axle. I had the same exact issue as you before and the tech finally realized it was not the brakes. Tell him to relube the splines and retorque to spec and you'll be fine at least temporarily. Reason I say temp is because now 8 months later I think the sound may be coming back.
What was wrong with the Splines on your halfshafts? Were they bent/twisted? I have seen this before on other high powered IRS cars. (usually only when used with drag radials however)
Old 05-05-12, 07:47 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
What was wrong with the Splines on your halfshafts? Were they bent/twisted? I have seen this before on other high powered IRS cars. (usually only when used with drag radials however)
Tech stated thated the splines were not adequately lubed, that the splines were slightly rusted and too much clearance which resulted in the metallic clicking noise. They relubed, tightened to spec and things had been fine for months.
Old 05-05-12, 07:50 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

okay guys here is the noise have at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt7f6...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-05-12, 09:26 PM
lukeisf
Driver

I had a noise like that and it ended up being my rear drive axle was broke
Old 05-06-12, 12:53 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Like i stated from the beggining, rear axles. Yes, caymandive is correct. After checking the receipt from lexus, that is what it said, and also verified with my friend, who is the ONLY tech to touch my car and is one of the F guys there, and he also said the same thing, lubrication, rust, but mainly larger tires, which happen on any car really. Splines cause this weird clicking noise, and i guarantee if you go behind two warehouse and drive it, you will tell its coming from the rear, as i stated before. Im glad you caught it, and hope youget this issue resolved. they told me if i bring it back for the third time, i was getting new axles and diff. Ufolk!!!!!
Old 05-06-12, 10:39 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Did anyone have to pay for this problem being fix or was it all covered under warranty?
Old 05-06-12, 03:16 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

First time it wasnt, the Other times it was. I think inpayed like 70 bux. They may give you a bs story abou mAintanence, but it was a small price to pay since they did warranty a headlamp assembly that was condensating. So it worked out ok.
Old 05-06-12, 06:02 PM
lukeisf
Driver

Mine was just like this Lexus thought it was brakes so they replaced my brakes still there they brought in a tech and they found my rear drive axle was broke all was covered under warranty.
Old 05-06-12, 06:07 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lukeisf
Mine was just like this Lexus thought it was brakes so they replaced my brakes still there they brought in a tech and they found my rear drive axle was broke all was covered under warranty.
What part of the axle was "broke"? I'm assuming the splines.
Old 05-06-12, 09:05 PM
lukeisf
Driver

Not exactly sure I know they replaced the whole axle. It make the clicking noise when in park was real noticeable when in first and I would take off . It drove me nuts and my car was at Lexus for over a month while they tried things to find the problem. The good thin was I got new brake pads and rotors and a free oil change out of the ordeal.
Old 05-07-12, 12:10 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Idk i will bring up this engine tick when i go back into lexus. Im expecting them to put new brakes and rotors on the first time and then when that does not work they will probably start looking at the splines and axles.
Old 05-09-12, 12:53 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Alright guys I'm back at lexus right now and I'm sitting in the waiting room. The guy says it sounds like pad shift but he is taking it back right now to look at it. Its so funny how you all predicted them going for the rear brakes first. Well I will update you all in a few.

Quick Reply: Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area